iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Storing Blades

Started by WkndCutter, May 04, 2006, 07:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WkndCutter

I got a new package of blades the other day from Woodmiser.  They came in the same flat box as before.  My question is this.  What is the best way to keep and store band blades.  I take care to clean and oil the blades to keep them from rusting.  Is it better to store them in the flat box next to the other blades or roll them and stack them up on one another.  Does it matter? 
Andy

twoodward15

I can't see any reason to take them out of that box until you need them.  I'm guessing they come with an anti-corrosion product on them when you get them.
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

Part_Timer

I had a couple of plastic trash cans to store mine in.  One for sharp blades one for dull blades.

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

broker farmer

I wish somebody could tell me how to "roll" a bandblade into a circle.  It's about like trying to cram a four pound monkey (with sharp claws) into a one pound box.

Tony

Quote from: broker farmer on May 04, 2006, 12:43:40 PM
I wish somebody could tell me how to "roll" a bandblade into a circle.  It's about like trying to cram a four pound monkey (with sharp claws) into a one pound box.

It reminds me of a song every time I fold one ;"Twist and Shout" 8)

Tony
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

Tom

Ask and ye shall receive.
Ye seek and ye shall find.  8) ;D

I heard that someplace.

Knowledge base article "coiling a bandblade"

Knowledge base article "opening a bandblade"

Dan_Shade

I find folding them much easier than unfolding.

hint, get belt (like holds your pants up) and practice with it, much safer!  :)

grasp the band with your hands at 11 o'clock, and 1 o'clock with your thumbs pointing up on the back of the band, I put the teeth between my fingers.

rotate your wrists so your thumbs are pointing forward and your palms are point up at the same time.

the top of the band will go down, the bottom will come up, and then it will "pop" and you'll get three "loops".

I'll record a video later, maybe Jeff will host it for us :)

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Dan_Shade

many thanks to JeffB!

it's a little ugly, but I'm not a ballet dancer!

1.5 Meg video of folding a bandsaw blade

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

getoverit

grrrrr I cant get the file to open.. is anyone else having problems with it or is my computer challenged?
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Tom

I can't get it to open either.  I've noticed that on several of these "movie" files.  Some work and some don't.

Come over to the house and I'll have you opening and closing blades in no time at all.  :D

WkndCutter

Thanks to everyone for posting.  Seems like folding a band blade is kind of like folding my tent.  VaSawer folds his band blades up.  I'm sure I can get a tutorial from him if I need it.  More to follow.

Andy

woodmills1

nice video, it worked for me.  I don't fold like that at all.  Hold the blade out in front of me and kinda give it a downward shake while pushing in with my thumbs.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

broker farmer

Hey Dan Shade,
Are the teeth pointing toward or away from you in the video?  And do you have your foot holding the bottom of the blade down when you start?  By the way, what kind of wood is that on the picket fence in the background?

Dan_Shade

the teeth point away from me, I start with my foot on the bottom of the band.  i put my fingers in the gullets of the teeth.  I really should wear gloves when I do it, but I hardly ever wear gloves, unless it involves hot stuff, or is really cold.

the fence was here when I moved in, it looks like pressure treated regular fencing.

FiremanEd

Don't worry about how you store your blades. A little rust will be gone by the end of the 1st cut when you put it on the mill. Spend the couple minutes that it would take to oil a blade for storage sawing instead, that's what makes the $$$$$.

just $0.02 worth.

Eddie
Full time Firefighter / Paramedic
WoodMizer LT300 as secondary, full time job.
AccuTrac Electric Edger

Bibbyman

I tried to play it on one PC and it just eat it up.  Had to re-boot to get it going again.  Tried it on the other and it played. 

I've never seen it done that way. 

I've used the flip method showed us when we were trained at WM.  On the thicker blades,  I hook one end agains a log or something and get it to "break" that way.

We store ours but FedEx - back to Wood-Mizer Re-Sharp.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Jeff

I have to do a variation of the flip and Dan's method because of my inability to twist the one arm to finish the fold. I flip to start then use the ground to push it all together.  I told Dan I could do the unfolding video, but it'll simply be me throwing a coiled blade into the grass. ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

getoverit

I had the pleasure of spending the morning with Tom, and got a hands on training on how to fold and unfold blades. It is much easier than it appears when you know how. It is GREAT to have such an expert and willing trainer so near to me :)
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

FiremanEd

Quote from: Bibbyman on May 05, 2006, 07:30:48 PM
We store ours but FedEx - back to Wood-Mizer Re-Sharp.

That's the best storage I've found yet Biddy. It works albiet a little slow sometimes. I blame it on Fed-X, we've never had much success with them. I prefer the brown truck which brings the nice little blades back home from Re-Sharp.
Full time Firefighter / Paramedic
WoodMizer LT300 as secondary, full time job.
AccuTrac Electric Edger

VA-Sawyer

Andy,
I'll be happy to spend a little time teaching you how to fold and unfold if you want.  Just give me a call and we can work out a time. I still have those narrow blades if you want them. 
For folding I start with the teeth pointing up and use the flip or snap method. The teeth end up pointing down when folded. I used to unfold my blades like Jeff does, but thanks to GMMills, I have learned the secret. When unfolding, start with the teeth pointing in the same direction they ended up in after folding, and then just drop the correct loop.  In my case, I start with the teeth facing down. Finding the correct loop to drop is a little hard to describe with words. The easiest way I know is get someone to show you.  Next best choice is to fold a blade and pay close attention to the last loop coming up at the end of the fold. That is the one you want to drop when unfolding. Note that after dropping the correct first loop, the other two loops simply cross each other without intertwining. Practice by folding and then unfolding without letting go of the blade. This teaches you where to hold your hands when unfolding and helps in reconizing the proper loop to drop.
I've gotten to where I will fold a blade with bare hands sometimes, but I almost always get gloves on for unfolding. Like Dan said earlier, we should ALWAYS wear gloves when handling blades.
VA-Sawyer

Dan_Shade

i'd be interested to see this "flip" method.  I figured it out after looking at one of Tage Frid's books.  he had a way of folding them with one hand at the top, that may work with smaller bandsaw blades than what we use.

Tom

I don't mean to butt in, but has anybody read the knowledge base or followed the link in post #5 of this thread?

I would like to know if that information is any good or just wasting space.

There are several ways to fold band blades.  It unnerves me to hear of or see someone throw one.  You might not get hurt and then, again, you might.  You are certainly risking harming the blade.   :)

Dan_Shade

I've read it, but the parts about rolling your wrists and all of that confuse me.  I'm pretty simple minded at times :(

Tom

Turn the coiled blade such that the teeth face you.  Hold the coils with your right hand and drop a free coil with your left.

wrong loop has been pulled down.  It locks.

Right loop has been pulled down.  It is free.

Turn teeth toward you.  Grasp a leg of the "X" in each hand.

Open the band

Now to coil it back up.

This is the move that some sawyers orchestrate to "wow" their customers.  Violent whipping of the blade isn't necessary though.  A little bit of bouncing up and down with your hands might help to get the blade to "break" and begin it's coiling.  Lift the hands and roll them together.

By rolling your hands together, your thumbs will point to one another and you will be creating an "X" in the band.

Hold the "X" in one hand and lift the free coil with the other.

And there you are back at the beginning again.  :)

Now!  Wasn't that easy?

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!