iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Completely unknown tree to me

Started by RPowers, November 30, 2015, 08:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RPowers

I have a couple small trees up on my ridge that I can't ID. I am usually pretty good at finding out what something is but these have me stumped. Here are pictures of the bark, a leaf, and the underside of a leaf showing the twig's glabrous surface and buds. They are about 25' tall and 6-8" diameter. No clinging fruits or nuts that I can find. I don't have a pic of wood grain or anything as I've left them standing.

Ideas? Oh, the leaves are completely smooth, and unlobed.
2013 Woodmizer LT28G25 (sold 2016)
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

fishpharmer

Looks kinda like persimmon.  If they are, the golfball sized orangish fruit would likely have dropped by now, usually they disappear fast to the critters.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

RPowers

Definitely not a persimmon. I love my 'simmons and know them well. This is almost like an overgrown Rusty Haw but the leaves aren't toothed and there's no fruit.
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

curdog

sandhills

I'd guess cottonwood but the leaves don't seem right, the bark does though.

Dodgy Loner

Bark looks like silverbell, but the leaf and twig look like blackgum. Silverbell has small teeth towards the tip of the leaf, they are not completely smooth. Bark isn't right for blackgum, though.

Try this: cut through the outer bark and into the inner bark with a pocketknife. If the inner bark is a rich salmon color, it's probably silverbell.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

RPowers

I'll have to do more field research then and see what details I can bring back. I have a lot of black gum, and this is not it. It was right after leaf drop so if it was a wild/feral crab apple or something I guess that the fruit could have all dropped. It didn't remind me of any of my apples in the orchard though.
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

Thank You Sponsors!