iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

e-mail question

Started by Dana, March 16, 2010, 07:52:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dana

A few weeks ago I started recieving a half dozen or so emails that say " mail delivery system<mailer-daemon@pt.lu>was undeliverable" This email address is only one example.

Around the same time I recieved a large groups of photo's of our beef from a customer. He sent it from his Blackberry. Ineeded to forward them to someone else and was able send all but one group which was sent back with a notice that the reciever couldn't accept due to a potential virus. I suspect that this is why I am "sending"  all these emails? Also at 0615  every morning the computer wakes up and the hard starts spinning. The monitor comes to life at that time as well.

What's going on and how do I get rid of it? I am using Microsoft Security.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

isawlogs

I have no idea as I am about as iliterite 'bout 'puters as they come , so I guess getting shotgun and putting it out of misery is out of question  eh eh

Don't dispere , there are some wise men on here that know these boxes inside out that will come 'round and help .  :P
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Dana

Marcel, the computer is too new to get out the shotgun. :D More than anything, I dislike the violation of my home by some marauder's

Magicman

Last week I got a message supposedly from Amazon listing an order# and confirmation#.  I had not ordered anything.

They had me send the message to Stop-Spoofing@Amazon.com  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Warbird

Without seeing the entire email header, it appears to me that you may have typoed the email address on that last sending.  When an email server receives an email bound for an address that it isn't sure about, it will sometimes behave this way, depending on how it is set up.  In other words, it auto-sends you a message back saying, "Hey, I couldn't deliver this email to the guy you wanted me to.  Just thought you would want to know!"

If you really want to know what is going on with it, copy and paste the full headers from one of those emails into a private message to me. 

DouginUtah

Dana,

I am a firm believer in Malwarebytes Anti-virus software. As long as you are not running 64-bit Windows 7 download and run it. If you have any sort of virus it will find it and eliminate it. (I don't know if you will need to disable Security Essentials or not--but I doubt that will be necessary.)

http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/
Click on the upper-right "Download Latest Version" 4.88 MB
(You might want to run CCleaner first.)

Did you send an email to Luxembourg? That is where the daemon is coming from.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Warbird

Wow.  I totally misread your message.  Have a bad headache this morning.  What Doug said.  Run ccleaner and Malwarebytes.

Dana

I installed ccleaner and malaware neither one found anything. Installing them has given me a Yahoo toolbar I would like to remove it does anyone know how?

Douginutah, I dont know anyone in Luxemberg. The five or six that were returned today all had that .lu ending.

Anymore ideas guys?

DouginUtah

To answer the Yahoo toolbar question, we need to know what browser you are using.

If it is Firefox you can click on View, then Toolbars and uncheck what you don't want.

Probably something similar for IE.
-Doug

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Dana

Warbird

Dana,

While your computer is plugged into the internet, open a command window (click Start, Run, then type in cmd).  Go to the options and make sure the buffer/scroll back is set to a high number (<1000).  Once that is done and saved, type in the following command:

netstat -abno

Let me know what you see.  If you want, you can copy and paste the output into a personal message to me.

DouginUtah

Dana,

IE8 is the same as Firefox - View | Toolbars. Uncheck what you don't want.

What is your operating system?

What Warbird said works for XP but not for Windows 7 -- Start | All Programs | Accessories | Right click Command Prompt and then Run as Administrator. (I don't know what his command tells you.)
-Doug

---

Warbird

netstat will show you all active connections your computer is making or has made.  If it is infected with a mailer virus, he will see dozens, if not hundreds, of connections.  Depending on ports and other info, it will help nail down what is going on.

Radar67

The best way to remove Yahoo Toolbar is from the "Add/Remove Programs" function in the control panel.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Dana

O.k., i got into a black and white dos looking area. I typed in netstat-abno hit enter and received this reply:   'netstat-abno' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file

My computer is a windows vista home premium if that matters.

Also, I looked in my sent department of outlook express. It dosen't show any of the returned items there. Is it possible that the sender has just stolen my email address and is using it from their own computer?

Warbird

Hey Dana, you need a space between "netstat" and "-abno".  I will reply with more in a private message.

DouginUtah

Radar's advice for permanently removing Yahoo Toolbar is correct, but for XP.

For Vista: Control Panel, Programs, Programs and Features, highlight Yahoo Toolbar, then click on Uninstall up near the top of the window.

This is just a wild guess but I wonder if you changed the passwords for your email addresses if that would fix anything--assuming someone else is using your email.
-Doug

---

LeeB

Report it to your provider. Could save you a lot of headache and maybe they can catch the s.o.b.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Slabs

Quote from: DouginUtah on March 17, 2010, 03:08:00 PM

Radar's advice for permanently removing Yahoo Toolbar is correct, but for XP.

I had to do that with the google toolbar that signing up with peoplepc dumped on me.  It wouldn't let me use hyperlinks.  Add/remove took care of it.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Thank You Sponsors!