iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Purdy Poplar

Started by TomR, November 07, 2018, 07:41:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomR

Got a call to save this storm damaged tree in Downtown Atlanta a couple months back and we are so glad we made the pick up. This thing sure did surprise us. 

3 logs
1st; 14' 30-34"
2nd; 14' 34-36"
3rd; 9' 36-49"

Headed back to get one just down the street. Tree company said the new one is also a poplar but looking at the photos they send I had to disagree. Not sure what it is but will find out tomorrow and with any luck it will be a beaut also!!

DPatton

:o :o :o Your right that is Purdy indeed!
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

nativewolf

"Rainbow Poplar"  highly desirable, fades though so get it out of sun.  YH sells a lot of it I think he's said.
Liking Walnut

TomR

Thanks DPatton!!

Nativewolf, yes it does fade, all in the shade as this was while it was on the mill. We have a couple of slabs in the new Idry vacuum kiln. When they are done Ill post some dry pictures

YellowHammer

We sell pallets and pallets of it.  The rainbow colors, I.e reds, bright yellows, and pink will oxidize and seem to fade in direct sunlight but after they are kiln dried and heated, they will darken, loose some of their red pigments and turn incredible deep smoky purples, blacks, blues and are locked in and will have fire like streaks and twists and if anything look better than walnut.  We have one lady in Oklahoma who refurbishes Airstream Trailers and uses it for countertops.  She says that properly dried and prepared, the pigments outlast the poly coat, about 15 years.  She came from Oklahoma to Alabama to get some.  Quite a drive.  Many people confuse the kiln dried, darkened material with walnut and that's why sell so much of it, walnut at a Poplar price but with more "motion".  Put an oil on it and it's tough to beat.

The best boards are more smokey black and blue, they dry and look like they have been dipped in blue ink.  The bright reds do fade, but the beauty is in the non fading blacks, purples and indigos and also in the contrast between the dark streaks and the lighter wood.

Here are some kiln dried boards, and a turkey call made by a championship turkey caller who drove 8? hours from Texas to Alabama to buy a couple hand picked boards a couple weeks ago.  

Just so happens that I've been sawing "Purple Poplar" logs most of this week.  The trick is to use different sawing techniques that emphasize the twists and motion of the grain, like the board below.  I'm giving away my secrets now, well maybe not all of them. ;D

These are the darkened, post kiln dried, post planed and non fading remanants of the original "rainbow" colors.  Quite a nice board.  Can't buy these at Lowes or Home Depot.

<  
Here are a couple that had almost all Purple Heart, the color is completly through the boards. When oiled, these will turn royal purple.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

xlogger

I believe that this question had been brought up before but can you look at the saw cut of a poplar log and tell much about how the color is? Anyone have a  picture of the log before it milled?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

YellowHammer

As with most highly figured or unusual wood, the biggest problem is getting enough of the right color variation logs.  It's fairly rare around here, pigments can be seen from the butt cuts, but since they fade it's difficult to distinguish a truly nice log from one that just has a darker than normal heart, or rot, or many other things beside the "right" stuff.  Pick the wrong log and cut into it, it's just a green heart and brown sapwood Poplar.  I sort through literally mountains of Poplar logs to find the few good ones.  
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Magicman

Lawg Dawg just posted this that has the potential for being "purdy".

Whatcha Sawin' ??? in Sawmills and Milling
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

nativewolf

Quote from: xlogger on November 10, 2018, 06:17:48 AM
I believe that this question had been brought up before but can you look at the saw cut of a poplar log and tell much about how the color is? Anyone have a  picture of the log before it milled?
Once it is felled it tells all, right in the open cut it will have all sorts of tinting.  
Liking Walnut

Slingshot

Here is a poplar log that laid on the ground for about 3 years.....

Here is what it looked after sawing, about 26 inch wide boards...

Small table made from it with 2 coats of poly.....

Crossroads

With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

TomR

Im sure I have a photo of one before the mill. The but end of the logs with the most color look almost black. Let me track down a photo and Ill post it up. 

nativewolf

So here are two poplar (liriodendron tulipifera), left is the rainbow poplar.  Team cut these today
Liking Walnut

samandothers

Was there something in the tree's environment that was/is unique?

nativewolf

They don't really know what causes it from what I have read.  This one however was scared and scared badly all the way down trunk.  Some in my forest that I had cut were perfect outside, could never tell what caused it.  Still kicking myself for letting it go without getting it sawn. 
Liking Walnut

TomR

Thanks for the photo Nativewolf, I can't find the one I was looking for. Old timers in my area think its minerals from ground water but not sure if that would be correct. 

nativewolf

if I could figure it out I'd spike the stumps of my Poplars  :D
Liking Walnut

Thank You Sponsors!