iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Damage to log turner pics

Started by gator gar, December 11, 2010, 03:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gator gar

Here are the pics where it stripped the top two nuts off the bolts and was working on the bottom two. I've got some grade 8 bolts in there now and it is working just fine. 

The last pic of the arm fully extended out, so no need for the rope. I should have taken a side pic.

bandmiller2

Gator if the grade 8's don't do it you may have to step up to 1/2" you've got alot of leverage on that part ,glad it worked out well for you.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

fishpharmer

Gator, good fix.  Now we need some action shots with a big log on it.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

sgschwend

You said the nuts stripped?

According to this source there is only a 25% increase in proof load between a grade 5 and grade 8 nut.
http://www.smithfast.com/finishedhexnuts5_8.html
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

captain_crunch

Don't know anything about bandmills But here is an Idea lay a peice of 1/4 by2" wode adn as long as you can geta way with(guess 10-12" by pic) on flat part of frame weld your angle iron brackets to it and bolt it to flat part of frame. it will have to shear the bolts to move. But like I said don't have a clue what is behind frame this might impair. If you can't do this and have to go to bigger bolts I would cut a large piece of steel  on back side of frame as to spread out strain as not to bend frame rail (at least what would happen to me)
Brian
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

pineywoods

Gator, you will find it is possible to get a good sized log wedged in between the backstops and the fully extended claw. That's probably what happened. The amount of travel in and out is a compomise. Could have made the out farther for bigger log, but the in travel would have been limited enough that you couldn't turn smaller logs. Once you get familiar with the turner and it's limitations, probably won't be a problem. I don't have the plate across the top set of teeth on any of the mills here. You will probably take it off. The clamp does a better job of clamping with the teeth jammed into the side of the log, especially on logs that tend to want to roll a bit while you are sawing.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

bandmiller2

I have the same problem Piney describes with my two plain clamp/turner,when I get down to edging boards the clamp won't close enough to clamp them.My solution was easy just put a piece of scrap wood between the boards and the clamp.Possibly with the Pineywoods turner you could use two claws held by a pin one for small logs one for large,or mayby one that would turn around or flip over. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

gator gar

Quote from: pineywoods on December 11, 2010, 10:51:05 PM
I don't have the plate across the top set of teeth on any of the mills here. You will probably take it off. The clamp does a better job of clamping with the teeth jammed into the side of the log, especially on logs that tend to want to roll a bit while you are sawing.

The little plate wasn't my idea, it was my buddies. I just went along with it, but Boman and I already discussed taking it off. I'll hit it with a cut-off blade on my grinder and take it off. I looked at Bomans mill and they have the turner welded to his frame. So, as I said earlier, I'm going to weld a couple of short passes on mine, to help re-enforce it a little.

pineywoods

Bandmiller, we think alike. I have an extra hole so I can move the clamp in closer for small logs, but I seldom use it. Instead, I keep a couple of 3 ft 4X4 handy and just chunk one between the boards and the clamp.

Gator, it's just a matter of time before you saw it off with the band anyway  ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

gator gar

Update......... The little plate is coming off tomorrow. It made turner slide up the log, as I was trying to get a bite. The turner is working just fine now. We weighed a red oak log that was 2200 pounds and put it on the mill and it rolls it like it is nothing. Too cool.

Magicman

Sometimes it's not just the weight.  An odd shaped log can really test your metal mettle  ;)   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!