Hauling them to the path with the winch

loading them up

getting ready to go

unloading at the mill

rack is filling up

Quebecnewf

beenthere

Quebecnewf
Looks like great weather for logging that way. Looks like you have a third person along, with you and the Mrs. ...nice to have a cameraman   ;D ;D

How is the winch working for you?  and what size rope do you use...diameter and strength info.

Thanks
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Quebecnewf

i use 3/8" polysteel rope its the same type used on crab pots by the fishermen around here.

its cheap and it lasts pretty good.I don't know the breaking strength but it does the job for me.

The winch is the best money I ever spent. For the way I log its GREAT

Quebecnewf

stonebroke

How do you load the logs on your sleds? Do you parbuckle them or do you use armstrong power?

Stonebroke

beenthere

Is that polysteel the same or similar to the Amsteel blue we hear about? 
Do you order it online, or because it is used by the fishermen there, maybe a supply is kept locally?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tonich

Ahh… Quebecnewf,
Did I mention I like your posts!?  ;D

roger 4400

Salut Quebecnewf!!  Nice photos as usual....nice logs.....when you talk about a winch, is it a cabestan winch? Take a good coffee,,,will warm you up....getting a nice *roll * to mill when it will be warmer....see you.
    Roger
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

Quebecnewf

We load logs on sleighs with parbuckle if big but most are armstrong. The rope I use is called polysteel or eurosteel. Its a fishing rope 3/8 dia twisted its nothing special just strong and cheap compared to braided rope. I sell 100 's of coils to the fishermen each year.

Quebecnewf

Coon

Quebecnewf,  I think what you need is a log forwarding sleigh.  Just think, you could have a boom and grapple to load the logs.... :D :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Quebecnewf

Coon

Yeah kinda figured that myself.  You would need a small low ground psi unit.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

CLL

Quebecnewf, I have a question, I'm asking out of ignorance more than anything esle. The logs you are hauling look like there in the 8 to 12" range, how can that be profitable to saw?
Too much work-not enough pay.

Sprucegum

CLL its all relative : 8-12" logs are more profitable than 3-9" logs  :D

Its not how much money ya make its how good a living ya have  8)

beenthere

And CLL, Quebecnewf prolly doesn't have the HD/Lowes box store nearby, as I think everything is barged in during certain times of the seasons.  His logs appear to be of a size that good building material can be sawn out, for he and for sale to his neighbors, which may make it "profitable".  And I think he gets some enjoyment out of making sawdust... ;D ;D ;D  His is a pretty unique operation.

The HD/Lowes 2x4's come from sticks with top diameters around 3" give or take.
south central Wisconsin

ely

Quote from: beenthere on January 31, 2008, 01:33:32 PM
And CLL, Quebecnewf prolly doesn't have the HD/Lowes box store nearby, as I think everything is barged in during certain times of the seasons.  His logs appear to be of a size that good building material can be sawn out, for he and for sale to his neighbors, which may make it "profitable".  And I think he gets some enjoyment out of making sawdust... ;D ;D ;D  His is a pretty unique operation.

The HD/Lowes 2x4's come from sticks with top diameters around 3" give or take.
so you have noticed that too, i thought i was the only one that went to the  box stores and picked thier stock of lumber apart, visually  that is.

CLL

I understand now!!!!!!! Sometimes I'm just a little thick, if you know what I mean. :D
Too much work-not enough pay.

mad dog

Is it a simpson winch? Can you tell me where you got the rope? also wherw did you get the tote sled?
mad dog 78 acres,pasqualli tractor,L-15 woodmiser

zopi

whatzat white stuff? <grin> all we have is mud....lots of mud.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Quebecnewf

The winch

portablewinch.com

the rope is fishing rope used to haul crab pots  names (polysteel/eurosteel/esterpro/)

sleds are homemade

Quebecnewf

thecfarm

How much longer you got before the ice gives way?Or is it on it's way out all ready?Always enjoy your pictures of the way you get your wood out.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Quebecnewf

We should get another month with luck. Our shipping season will open on April 4th . Thats when we get our first boat of the season. Once that happens I will be real busy at my business (general store) so not much time in the woods.

Cut 23 logs today plus a few boxes of firewood. Came home from the woods then had to leave for the airport at Chevery 15 klm by skidoo to pick up a couple loads of fresh fruit and veggies (it comes in by plane during the winter ).

Never a dull moment

Quebecnewf

Thank You Sponsors!