iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Practical Implication Of Stihl RM2(Triple Humped Tie Straps)

Started by lxskllr, February 26, 2019, 05:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lxskllr

Got my 100' of chain today! Stihl RM2. It wasn't exactly what I wanted, but couldn't turn it down for $235 shipped. Stuff's weird looking. What can I expect regarding cutting performance, especially compared to RM3(single hump on drive link)? The RS3 that came on my 362 gives decent performance. Cuts ok, and bores ok, though probably not the equal of yellow chain. I made a thread here, but probably didn't word my question well...

Chain Opinions in Chainsaws

What I was getting at, is it worth buying a poor style, of your favorite chain. I love Stihl chain, but I'm not sure about this triple humped stuff. Green chain never really gave me problems, but neither has yellow. Since everyone preferred yellow, I was figuring on sticking with that, but I couldn't turn down this offer. I figure my options are deal with it, and use it for trash wood. Maybe it'll be just grand as-is, and I got a smokin' deal, or possibly grind the humps down(least attractive option).

So... How well does this chain work?

Btw... Got to use my Carlton(WoodlandPro) semi chisel 3/8lp today. Results were very favorable. Didn't get a lot of time with it, but I think I like it better than Oregon. Steel seems to be a bit harder. If it holds up, it'll be a good deal over buying Oregon loops locally. Got 25' for $90  :^)

HolmenTree

That RM3 chain is very smooth cutting . Those triple bump links add some protection for the cutters too.
If you nick a rock or something hard when cutting,  the cutters will survive better then standard open cutter chain. 
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

lxskllr

I guess I'll be seeing for myself. Made a loop for my work saw. I'll try it out next time I use it. The rivets were exceptionally hard to punch out, and I broke the tip off my punch. Also, the oil had set up to a more grease-like consistency((Cosmoline?)Maybe they came like that back then?), and the links don't flop freely. The most recent date I could find anywhere was a copyright from 1989 on the box insert instructions for the end consumer. If there was a date of manufacture on the box, it was covered up by shipping labels. Here's the nifty retro consumer box, with my handiwork linking the chain(the green strap)...

edit:
Oh, and the cost for a 72dl chain was $10.32. I like that  :^)

Thank You Sponsors!