iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hurricane Irma and then there is Jose!

Started by Magicman, September 05, 2017, 08:29:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

Even a small home depot firepit can get you a visit from the FD. Like Caveman says the trick is to have a pack of hotdogs ready for when they show up. You just say it's a cooking fire and they will move on as long as the fire is within reason.

Now the newest thing I'm seeing is Guys with cheap Home depot/lowes flat trailers are standing 8ft sheets of plywood on end around the outside, filling them with brush and hauling to the dump. Contractors are hiring about anyone with this setup. I saw a 6x12 being pulled by a santa fe this morning filled to the top.

Spoke with a city worker who told me they had contracts with companies to take care of the debris at $9 something a yard or ton [he wasn't sure which] but down south they are paying $13 per.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Mooseherder

A crew picked up our brush and limbs by the road this morning.  They were from Arkansas. 
One of the men said they get paid by the yard.  The equipment was faster than the pickups hauling Big tex trailers with improvised high sided plywood could get back for. They had a smaller telehandler and skidsteer tracked with grapples.  They have plenty more weeks of work ahead. 

Raider Bill

Wonder how they figure a yard? Depending on what the load is could be dense or tight packed.

Largo's been hiring about anyone with a chipper or trailer to haul the chips. Not near me yet though.

Mooseherder

When one truck got back the operator asked the driver how much was the previous load.  He replied 85 and they high-fived. I thought no way 85 yards in a big tex trailer but who knows. ???
Maybe it was 85 dollars.

Raider Bill

Do yours have a placard on the side that says DRC and some numbers? Everyone I've seen so far does but not sure if it is a local thing or some kind of government agency.

Kbeitz

Quote from: Mooseherder on October 03, 2017, 02:18:25 PM
When one truck got back the operator asked the driver how much was the previous load.  He replied 85 and they high-fived. I thought no way 85 yards in a big tex trailer but who knows. ???
Maybe it was 85 dollars.

You can get 50 yds in a container 22.5 feet long by 8 feet wide by 6 feet high.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Raider Bill

Depending on how it's packed a yard isn't equal. Some guys are hauling chips, others brush.

I've got to nose around more and see what's up.

Mooseherder

The guy I talked with did have a company logo on his helmet but I didn't pay attention to what it was.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

I spoke with a guy pulling one of the trailers yesterday. He said they are not pulling to the county dump as they will not allow these rigs in. They are pulling to a open area the city owns, dumping there, then the city is mulching the debris and gets reimbursed by FEMA per ton. He gets paid $9.50 a yard. Didn't know what FEMA pays per ton. He also says that he has no control over how much gets loaded.
I drove by the yard and there are mountains of debris I'd say at least 40ft tall and separated by content. Tree debris, fence panels, metal etc.

Thank You Sponsors!