iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lathe time

Started by Ianab, April 28, 2017, 07:42:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Had a big slab of live edge Port Orford Cedar in the shed, but had made a fatal mistake of putting in the shed before it was dry, and the bark was still on. Some of the local borer thought that was a good idea, and decimated the sapwood before it dried out properly. Could see a few holes when i pulled it out, but when I cut into it, the sapwood was just sawdust. No live bugs, but not much wood either.  :(

So I ripped off the sapwood and made some nice big turning blanks, ~12" dia and 3" thick, and some smaller 3x3  stuff.

Love it when you get the chisel cutting just right.

Only down side is that Lil has a bad reaction to this particular wood, so i have to have a shower and wash all the "man glitter" out of my hair before she will come near me.  :D

Head out tomorrow and off this platter. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ianab

Got some finish on the Port Orford platter, and a couple of little Arborvitae bowls. Well that's what I think they are. It was an ornamental conifer that was growing beside Mum's garage door, and was getting a bit too big for it's britches. :D  Anyway I chainsawed the "log" into some small turning blanks, and was pleasantly surprised at how pretty the grain was.

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thecfarm

Nice work you have done there.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Larry

Cool.  I like the two little bowls the best. 8) 8) 
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Kbeitz

I was told that wood was great for making bungs.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

Your labors were nicely rewarded.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!