iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thinking of buying my 1st mill

Started by LaneC, November 22, 2013, 11:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaneC

I am in about the same shape as you relating to the back. I was looking at the lt35 but they said that the 40 was the workhorse and alot beefier. If I find myself able to do this eventually I would rather have the extra things now as long as it was in the budget, than to try and sell it to get a better one. I know you have to draw a line somewhere, but would you recommend the 40 super over the 35? Thanks magicman, I think the demand is here if I can handle it. Thanks again for the advice to all.
Man makes plans and God smiles

thecfarm

I myself would go with a diesel if I could. But that depends on you too. The way they add junk to the gas is not good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

LaneC

Good point. I do not like ethanol. Thanks

woodyone.john

I have a 40 super with a 35 hp petrol motor.The engine management computer died[or I killed it], expensive to replace.Diesel would be the cheaper long term option IMHO.
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

Busy Beaver Lumber

Quote from: mikeb1079 on November 23, 2013, 01:15:17 PM
QuoteOne more thing..Don't overlook some kind of log/lumber handling equipment. I'd rather have a manual mill and decent material handling equipment than a nice hydraulic mill with no way to handle logs/lumber.

that's pretty sage advice.
I could not agree more with this statement. I personally have had two spinal fusions and 3 other vertebrae operated on in my back and three shoulder surgeries to my left side ( thanks to getting tail ended by bus and tractor trailer), leaving me with only 30% use of my right arm. I have no problem running my LT-10 and cutting quality lumber with it. My wife is who also has some spine damage, has not problem cutting with the manual mill one the log is on the rails and it is just a matter of raising, lowering and moving the head.

Where we both have problems is in moving the bigger, heavier logs around the mill and off loading sone of the heavier cut slabs, hence the desire and appreciation for decent material handling equipment. A small bobcat would be a blessing for us and is on the shopping list.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

LaneC

Thanks for the advice. I am listening carefully and thanks again. Was the computer controller part of the petrol engine or was it electronic?

Thank You Sponsors!