iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

6x6 trucks- snagged one and took a pic

Started by Bert, July 10, 2014, 10:23:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bert

Anybody have any experience with these? Specifically the military surplus m923. Im looking for a new to me truck to haul lumber locally within 15 miles. I'm trying to make a list of pros and cons. The biggest pro is the access to my mill site. I was locked out for about 3 months last winter due to weather. I could get in with a 4 wheel drive pickup to saw but I could not get a straight truck up the drive due to snow and ice. 6 wheel drive would probably cure that. They seam like a lot of truck for the asking prices. Cons are the short 14' bed and high bed height. Parts may be an issue.

I am not concerned with speed. I realize they top out about 60 mph but the roads I travel are mostly posted with 30- 40 mph limits.

There are a lot of you tube videos and photos but none actually show the truck loaded.
Saw you tomorrow!

StimW

I have driven a lot of the military trucks but got out of the ARMY in 1970.
I don't remember the model numbers but I think you are referring to a Duce-and-a-Half. Called that because they were rated for 2 1/2 ton off road.
I drove the gassers and at the time the new kid on the block was the "Multi-Fuel" .
They were all Bad to the BONE! I went through 8 week Wheel Vehicle Driver course which included off road mud pits and night driving with no lights on.
Like any multi-wheel drive vehicle they will and do get stuck when you ask for too much.
Crazy thing was something in the front end would wind up when you backed up (they called it a Sprag unit) and if you did not pull forward the same distance in first gear it would violently jerk the steering wheel back and forth!
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

Bert

I was looking more at the 5 ton trucks vs. the deuce and a half. Same basic idea though from I can tell. Just really want to know if they behave like a truck should or are the all bark and no bite. Seams like the deuces were pretty good
Saw you tomorrow!

Okrafarmer

They can go 60? That's more than I would have expected.

One thing's for sure, even if it's diesel or multi-fuel, I believe you'll go through a lot of fuel for what you get done. As you pointed out, though, if it's a matter of working or not working, due to terrain, it will work for you.

There used to be a big seller of those trucks, and I think they may have been in PA. Naglich's maybe?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

mburrow

our fire dept has the M814 extended and yes it will do 60, I think it carries 2500 gal. of water and handles it ok. I ether drive it or a brush truck depending on what we are called out for. 

in the M900 series look for a M927 / M928 - Long Body Style as they will have a 20' bed

StimW

I just googled M923 and it looks just like a Duce with single flotation tires.
IIRC the Duce was rated 2 1/2 ton off road and 5 ton on road.
I once slept in the rain in the bed of one with no top, covered with a poncho and laying on my M-14 rifle trying to keep it dry!
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

Mooseherder

My 53 Deuce will do 60 no problem but I don't have a need to go that fast with it.  I have a Prentice loader on an old logging truck that I would like to transfer onto the Deuce down the road.  It's a fun truck to drive around and a good workhorse.  Mine is a 6 cylinder gasser that isn't bad on fuel.

yukon cornelius

ive driven a few 5 tons in the fire service. I don't know the numbers though. all were diesels. good power, handle pretty well, and get around great. when your stuck, your STUCK! winches available on a lot of them. just a few problems we encountered.... the brake pedal was frame mounted and the cab would shift sometimes wedging against the pedal so you cant push it. fix, cut the hole through the floor bigger. the transfer cases as with any with wear, can  pop out of gear.   when you couple the 2 problems it gets interesting. I ran 75 mph down a curvy one lane gravel hill with 2000 gal of water unable to brake or gear down  :o  lug bolts on one side (drivers side I think) are left handed threads. once in a while they worked loose when off roading.

all around great trucks! I want one! I did hear one time they cant be licensed on the road. I don't know if it true but it might be something to check out.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

mburrow

ours has the 14 liter n series cummins

oros35

Between me and my dad we have a:
1971 M35a2 Deuce and half
1972 M813 5 Ton
and 1991 M923a2 5 ton.

By far the nicest is the M923.  Parts are not that hard to find.  Many of them can be found as a commercial equivalent.  Parts can be expensive, but the trucks are pretty cheap to begin with so buy a couple!  Spare parts! (not much of a market other than collectors and a handful of industries needing a big 6x6 truck!) 

Bert

oros, your pretty close to me. Any leads on a good buy? ;)
Saw you tomorrow!

mesquite buckeye

What kind of money are we talking? ??? ??? ???
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

beenthere

Some examples here...

http://www.army6x6.net/p/trucks.html

There is one locally for sale, but haven't a clue what they are asking.  Sand color with canopy Conestoga style.
"Looks" in great shape.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

BlueRidgeMark

Before you pull the trigger on this, you might want to do some reading on the actual costs.  They have been described as a money pit, a labor of love, and a lot of other things, but I don't think "practical and reliable workhorse" is very often on that list.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?90811-So-you-want-a-Mil-Truck-here-is-what-they-cost

Not saying you shouldn't do it, but make sure you know what you're getting into.

ozarkgem

I've had 6 deuces's and a few 5 tons. Stay away from the 250 Cummins. Real dogs. No power. If you had a 350 Cummins and a 10 spd I think they  would be a kick ash truck then. I have heard the 900 series are fuel suckers. No experience myself on them. Super singles are the way to go also.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

oros35

Quote from: Bert on July 11, 2014, 01:27:24 PM
oros, your pretty close to me. Any leads on a good buy? ;)

None that I know of right now.  There was a guy in Delta Pa that I dealt with that had some nice trucks. 
Unfortunately, most of the good deals seem to come from the east side of the state from what I've seen.  Closer to the auctions.  All of ours came direct from the govt, at the auctions.  One from Columbus OH, one from Indianapolis IN, and one from Delaware.   

And an FYI, just in the past few months, Uncle Sam has taken all the trucks off the auction block.  No more trucks.  A year ago they were plentiful.  Now "0".  Lots of theories as to why, but no answers. 

Okrafarmer

Quote from: oros35 on July 16, 2014, 10:49:32 AM
And an FYI, just in the past few months, Uncle Sam has taken all the trucks off the auction block.  No more trucks.  A year ago they were plentiful.  Now "0".  Lots of theories as to why, but no answers.

Very interesting.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

woodmills1

chevy c5500 is 6 by as well as some of the biggers freightliners.  I have a 4500 6 by and it is a nice truck but may be small for you
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Bert

Still on the search for one of these. I have looked at a total of 6 trucks so far but they are all from the same owner. His prices seem high compared to others I have seen. I'm going to check out a different one tonight. Seems like a lot of people collect these but no one actually works them.
Saw you tomorrow!

oros35

There is a pipeline company set up in Zelienople Pa that has a bunch of these trucks in work clothes.  Company is from Texas.  All have Texas plates.  Several tractors, few flat beds, couple tankers.  Right off Rt 19 just north of the town. 

There was another pipeline company that was putting in Marcellus shale pipelines down the road from me that had a few too.  Their trucks got abused in the field by the looks of them. 

Most of the ones I've seen around here people are asking a premium for them.  That's why we traveled to get ours. 

Check out http://www.steelsoldiers.com/ often have trucks listed in the classifieds. 

Also try  http://www.kublossurplus.com/ he had a couple hundred trucks last I was up there, reasonable prices too.  Been about 1 1/2 years since I've dealt with him though. 

Not sure what part of the state your in.

curdog

I have read emails about the military agreeing to crush the trucks once out of use due to an EPA agreement and emission issues. This has the potential to greatly affect many rural fire departments that use these trucks for emergency response. The FPP and FEPP programs allowed rural departments to get the surplus vehicles to use in wildland fire response as long as they painted it, and put it in service as a fire truck. Not sure if this is why many are not on the auction blocks right now, but I would say this is probably the case.
There is still a lot of discussion about this going on , and things are not completely sorted out yet.

snowstorm

i remember reading something in one of the truck mags saying military trucks did not use any emission controls at all. that is why the feds dont want them used

Mooseherder

The one I got was sold at auction to the guy I bought it from.  It had been used as a water tanker for a local volunteer Fire Dept. before that.  It's life began in the Navy.  I found the Service records behind the Driver's seat cushion. Low Low mileage.  Musta been on an Aircraft carrier. ;D

DeerMeadowFarm

This place has some trucks. The customer's photo pages show some that have been converted to logging trucks....

http://www.easternsurplus.net/customer.html

Bert

I put an offer on an m923a1 yesterday. I am waiting to hear back from the guy. I did some checking on plates , registration etc and no hang- ups that I can see.
Saw you tomorrow!

Bert

I wound up buying a 1990 BMY M923a2. Heres some thoughts on these trucks after about 60 miles on the road. In my opinion these trucks are way under valued. Despite the bare bones cab comforts this is a very useful truck. The engine is an 8.3 cummins mated to an Allison auto tranny. The truck pulls itself and 10 tons of wood well. The 6 wheel drive is basically unstoppable under most situations. I don't abuse my stuff intentionally so cant say anything about major off roading. The power steering is very responsive and driving the truck down the road relates to a full size pickup despite the trucks 20k lb weight. I am trying to find a trailer for it, but mating most trailers to a 24 volt tow vehicle does not work. Im still searching for a solution. The bed is a little too high but manageable. All in all, for the money you cant beat the truck. I was looking at 1 ton pickups with fifth wheel trailers at first for my winter hauling. For a sixth of the price, you can get one of these and do more. (as long as your not driving cross country).
Saw you tomorrow!

MikeON

Quote from: Bert on August 08, 2014, 06:26:27 AM
I am trying to find a trailer for it, but mating most trailers to a 24 volt tow vehicle does not work. Im still searching for a solution.
I've been using an M35A2C deuce and a half for hauling logs.  For the trailer, I got a 24 volt to 12 volt converter on ebay.  Made up a trailer wiring harness.  I wired up relays to switch the circuits in the trailer harness for turn signals and lights and brakes.  It works off a regular Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller which is also powered off the converter.  Works well.
Woodmizer LT40HD Super.  WM Single Blade Edger,  John Deere 4310 tractor, M35A2C Deuce and a Half truck

Bert

Here is a pic of the old girl getting a bath.
Saw you tomorrow!

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ozarkgem

they have to be one of the coolest vehicle's a man can drive. I always drew a crowd everywhere I stopped with mine. The super singles are a big plus.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

yukon cornelius

It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

DeerMeadowFarm

ely

These are for sale in antlers ok all the time. I think about 7000. One is a wrecker another has some sort of boom winch on it.

21incher

Up by me the potato farmers buy them, put about a 10 yard potato box on them and use them to get the potatoes out of the muck land they are planted in. In late September I have one passing my house every 20 minutes and they sound and look so good coming up the hill winding up and billowing black smoke under a heavy load. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

oros35

There is a nice M813 for sale by me right now.  I know the guy and he usually has nice trucks.  I think it's priced fair too.  Check craigslist if anyone is interested.

Bert

After a couple of months and a few load on this truck I couldn't be happier for the price paid. A couple of observations from owning it is:

1- everytime you pull into a fuel station everyone wants to talk about their military days

2- cops just wave at you while you motor on by.

Heres a pic of it loaded with a small load of about 9600 lbs.

Saw you tomorrow!

Thank You Sponsors!