iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red flags for long loads question

Started by Jim_Rogers, August 04, 2018, 11:52:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

I'm looking to buy a box of red flags so that I can give one to customers when they load their trucks or trailers and have a long load hanging out.
I'd like to get the cheap ones that you just staple on or something like that.
I tried an internet search but didn't see what I was thinking about.
Does anyone have a site where they buy 12" square red flags that they give away with their lumber sales?
Thanks in advance.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

SawyerTed

Have you checked ULINE?  A box of 100 is $17.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Jim_Rogers

Just found that, after I posted the question.
thanks
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Southside

I have contemplated buying a single 2 x 4 from Lowes and then grabbing a big wad of those flags on the way out of the door. Safety First!!!  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Southside logger on August 04, 2018, 02:08:34 PM
I have contemplated buying a single 2 x 4 from Lowes and then grabbing a big wad of those flags on the way out of the door. Safety First!!!  :D
I was going to suggest the same thing.  But then take the 2x4 back a little later and say you didn't need it (which would be true) :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Stuart Caruk

I buy a bag of 50 hand wiping rags in the red, not white color. When a customer needs a flag I grab a dirty one and staple it to the can't. If I can't find a dirty one I'll grab a new one, but I prefer to recycle the old used ones.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

WV Sawmiller

I keep a roll of Fluorescent flagging tape in the console of of my truck and when I have a long load I tie a piece on there. Not sure about the actual regs as to the size of flag but I'd bet they say so many square inches and whether square or long should not matter. They really do work to warn people against walking into them and should work for other drivers too. Mine current roll is actually hot pink and more visible than red.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Hilltop366

If someone was going through a lot of them you could get a long roll of red plastic table cloth and cut it into 3 sections, at 300' x 3 sections = 900 flags for around $30.

btulloh

All good suggestions above.  

I keep a roll of yellow safety tape in the truck box.  Very cheap. Just cut of a few feet and tie it around the end of something and let a long end trail behind.  Not sure if it needs to be red, but I've never been ticketed for using yellow.  If you can get a roll of the yellow "Police Line - DO NOT CROSS" it's a real attention getter.
HM126

Chuck White

Quote from: Stuart Caruk on August 04, 2018, 06:58:15 PM
I buy a bag of 50 hand wiping rags in the red, not white color. When a customer needs a flag I grab a dirty one and staple it to the can't. If I can't find a dirty one I'll grab a new one, but I prefer to recycle the old used ones.
I was also going to suggest a bundle of shop rags!
They are usually cheap and they are about 12x12!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Whitman

I worked in purchasing for a large G &T for 4 years in the start of my 35yrs with them. 12x12
  was law at the time. I found a company that had the size by 500 count boxes. It worked
ok nailing to poles but to steel or alum they taped them on an only 8x8 showed .So several
were used be legal. The problem was solved by getting 18x18 and putting small rock in the
corner taping around it and then to the Alum or steel.

moodnacreek

james

size varies by state 18x18 should be legal everywhere 12x12 might not be
james

moodnacreek

Quote from: james on August 08, 2018, 01:16:26 PM
size varies by state 18x18 should be legal everywhere 12x12 might not be
james
Thanks

btulloh

Figured I'd use this opportunity to look it up for VA.  12x12.  Lighted at night.

§ 46.2-1121. Flag or light at end of load.
Whenever the load on any vehicle extends more than four feet beyond the rear of the bed or body thereof, there shall be displayed at the end of the load, in such a position as to be clearly visible at all times from the rear of the load, a red flag, not less than twelve inches, both in length and width. Between sunset and sunrise, however, there shall be displayed at the end of the load a red light plainly visible in clear weather at least 500 feet to the sides and rear of the vehicle.
Code 1950, § 46-304; 1958, c. 541, § 46.1-300; 1989, c. 727.

HM126

Thank You Sponsors!