iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another week at the office.

Started by David-L, March 07, 2013, 04:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David-L

Maine logger88
Scrap is up and #1 unprepped is bringing me 260 gt. 270 prepped. The tree huggers are holding up my pine lot for a month now and is really starting to get me fired up. All over a very small Isolated Vegetative Wetland. This is also a conversion to cattle pasture so should not even be an issue. been here before and persistence will pay off.
The Jack is an 78, 353 running 40wt oil and notice the roof can and the large type bell planetaries. A very straight Jack for its age. I have had two A models and they are fine until you have to rebuild the brakes. ( pricey ). IMO you can see better out of the older flat top hood models.

David

In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Kemper

Holding you up for a month? Is there not another job you can move to, until everything is lined out? Glad we don't have issues like that here.

Quote from: David-L on November 22, 2013, 06:03:21 AM
Maine logger88
Scrap is up and #1 unprepped is bringing me 260 gt. 270 prepped. The tree huggers are holding up my pine lot for a month now and is really starting to get me fired up. All over a very small Isolated Vegetative Wetland. This is also a conversion to cattle pasture so should not even be an issue. been here before and persistence will pay off.
The Jack is an 78, 353 running 40wt oil and notice the roof can and the large type bell planetaries. A very straight Jack for its age. I have had two A models and they are fine until you have to rebuild the brakes. ( pricey ). IMO you can see better out of the older flat top hood models.

David

thecfarm

Almost sounds like a vernal pool.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coxy

nice looking jack you need to get back to work those chokers are going to rust in half  and you will have to scrap them to :D :D

Corley5

Last spring at SFI training the instructor was passing on the info that some university in conjunction with some gov't agency wanted loggers and anyone else who spent time in the woods to report the locations of all vernal pools for "study" purposes.  Every logger in the room agreed that there was no way we were going there  ;) ;D :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

David-L

Those are single Diamond chains coxy, easiest place to store them until I put them on. I don't log full time , but usually cut from Oct to mud season then on to vege farming and making hay, 5000 bales to be exact. These tree huggers are getting worse and worse around here. Cleared the landing out last month ready to start and all hell broke loose. Getting jobs around here with a cable skidder can be a challenge, hard to really pay the landowner what is fair as the mills have disappeared and the trucking at $80/M is eating into any profit. I offered a landowner $300/M recently on some ok oak with diameter and he thought I was taking advantage of him. I am not willing to run this machine and cut if I can't make at least $140.00 a thousand. All the big whole tree chipper guys get most of the work around here as hand choppers are a dying breed. a ll I can say is I see the stress these guys are dealing with weekly and to be honest I would rather fill the oxy/act tanks and go out back and scrap.
                                                               David-l

thecfarm

Corley,seem like in the paper each year the state of Maine wants land owners to report about vernal pools. I have bunches of them on my land. Don't tell anyone OK?  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Stephen Alford

Cfarm i want you to know that I can keep a secret, its just the people I tell that can't.   :'(  We have a couple of pools as well just a bit salty.  ;D

logon

thecfarm

Mine are just a little bit smaller.  :D

David-L

That is one nice looking filter strip next to that pond, looks mostly to be sand Stephen. Where all the trees, did you cut them. Nice photos, Just what I needed before heading out for the day. 32.7 degrees here at current.
                                                             David l

coxy

Quote from: David-L on November 22, 2013, 08:36:42 PM
Those are single Diamond chains coxy, easiest place to store them until I put them on. I don't log full time , but usually cut from Oct to mud season then on to vege farming and making hay, 5000 bales to be exact. These tree huggers are getting worse and worse around here. Cleared the landing out last month ready to start and all hell broke loose. Getting jobs around here with a cable skidder can be a challenge, hard to really pay the landowner what is fair as the mills have disappeared and the trucking at $80/M is eating into any profit. I offered a landowner $300/M recently on some ok oak with diameter and he thought I was taking advantage of him. I am not willing to run this machine and cut if I can't make at least $140.00 a thousand. All the big whole tree chipper guys get most of the work around here as hand choppers are a dying breed. a ll I can say is I see the stress these guys are dealing with weekly and to be honest I would rather fill the oxy/act tanks and go out back and scrap.
                                                               David-l

ops should have looked a little closer my bad  open mouth in cert foot ;D  its getting to be a pain down here at times to with all the bonds and permits to   they are tacking all the fun and profit :D out of it our scrap price is only 190-200 and we have people paying 40%for that now its getting to be a joke  :-\

Woodboogah

Hey David-L  Just read through the post.  I am a little north of you in Southern NH.  I am running a TJ240A. I hear you on the whole tree chip co's.  Picking up a lot of work.  I would not want that overhead.  Here is a picture of my machine on its current job https://forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=4963&pid=146846#top_display_media

Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

Woodboogah

Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

David-L

Ok , i'm ready for deer meat myself. Havent' hooked up yet but close.
Nice looking 240. Does it have a duetz or other.
                                                                     David l

Maine logger88

Wow junk is only paying around 190 for number one here I have a few loads to do but I guess I'll wait. Do you have a lot of problems with tree huggers down there I personally haven't had any trouble with them yet (knock on wood) but I know of others who have. I have a 79 225 with the Rockwell planatariys good little machine but I'd still like a 230 or 240A. Is the break setup still a drum behind the transfer or a completely different setup
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

David-L

Different brake set up on the A series. If its working on them its great, but if you dig into them they can get pricy. I had to rebuild both on the 230 and 225A models I had. Can easily spend $1500 in parts and could spend more if you change out everything. They are a disc setup front and back in the transfer case. I recall two seals that were $80 each. could not match them up anywhere. The brakes on this 225D model work excellent and look simple to work on and outside the transfer as you know. This machine I have now is very straight with possibly around 4k hrs if the meter is right and the condition says it may be. The clutch and brake pointed knubs on the pedals are still sharp. that is a good sign.

David l

Dave Shepard

Quote from: David-L on November 22, 2013, 08:36:42 PM
                                                               David-l

Have you tried propane? I filled both my oxy and acetylene in September, $186.  :o When the acetylene is out I'm giving them their tank back and saving on the lease and putting the propane tip in my torch. ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Maine logger88

O really that sounds like there as expensive as my 540 breaks. I toataly rebuilt the breaks on my 225 for like 400 bucks except the drum which I'm sure you know and they work great now!  I wish my 225 had the Eaton planatarys like yours I'm afraid I'm going to break the rockwells could you get them like that from the factory or did someone put them in out of a 230? What is the difference between the 225A and the 230A? Sorry about all the questions I just like to learn all I can about the different models and you seem to know a lot about them.

Maine logger88

David-L

Mainelogger88,
The A series brakes are inside the transfer not outside like yours or mine. You have two sets front and back on the bottom drive line, transfer has to come out. Beware if you buy a machine A series. In the winter when things get cold debris and mud that has gotten in from bad rubbers over the years on the actuating links to the disc plates and that machines brakes will be froze up solid with water and mud and other stuff. I have had to take a salamander heater to the transfer just to get them to move. And yes a complete rebuild, disc's, plates, balls, cylinders,seals,pins and arms can get pricy x 2 (front and back. As size goes I think they are the same critter just the 225 and 230 might be abit longer than the D and E series Jacks. Now the 240 surely is longer. I am not an expert but have bought and fixed up a few of these for resale and you can have alot into them real quick. If you see a 225 with bell type planetaries I assume it was ordered that way as well as the roof can muffler. So far my favorite machine was a clean 230A that disapeared due to a divorce to get the farm back. Havent' run the 225 yet and cant' wait as it seems like a good machine and the motor runs and starts well. In two stroke detroits, 30 and 40 weight with low ash content saves a motor. Good luck.

2 inches of white and 14 degrees  David l

Maine logger88

Thank You Sponsors!