iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Layin em down

Started by GATreeGrower, September 11, 2013, 10:49:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GATreeGrower

One last look at my pines behind the house.  They moved in today to clear cut.  You can see where theyve started on the left.  Sad to see them go but better to start over than just keep watching em die.

thecfarm

How many acres? What's the plan,replant or?? Going to take some pictures of the equipment?  Please  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

GATreeGrower

50+ acres.  Will replant as soon as we can get it sprayed and prepped.  May be next winter though.  We still have other sites that we have to plant first for the Longleaf Pine Initiative.  I'll post some more pics when they all get here, right now its just the cutdown man getting started.

terry f

Nice looking forest, why are they dying.

GATreeGrower

GATreeGrower

Terry, they were never thinned properly is my guess.  There is still a boatload of canker and pulpwood in there and it's still too thick so it started thinning itself.  That is my unprofessional opinion  :D  Plus is it the old state forestry trees and they were very unpredictable.  GFC has really good trees now.

Ianab

Sounds about right. If a pine plantation like that is left with too many stems you start getting a lot of suppressed and sickly sticks in there that are never going to amount to anything. They are just taking up space, light, nutrients and water that should be going to the good crop trees. 

You can see in the picture there are a few decent dominant trees that have grown properly, but it lot of skinny poles that are only ever going to make pulp, and would just fall over if they where thinned and released this late in the cycle.

It's often better to just take them all out and get whatever value is in there now, and replant with fresh trees that can be managed properly from the beginning. Sitting and watching them "self thin" for another 10 years probably wont add any value.  ;)  As you say, you can also plant with better quality seedlings which help as well.

Locally ALL the management is done in about the first 7 or 8 years. By that stage all the pruning and thinning is completed and the trees are at final spacings. Pretty intensive care in those early years. There is pretty much zero management after that, and it's just sit back and watch them grow for another 20 years.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

GATreeGrower

A couple of pics

WDH

Stands that age are prone to annosum root rot if you have a sandy topsoil.  The root rot weakens the trees, and the bark beetles are drawn in, and they deliver the final blow.  One sign of annosum root rot is thinning of the needles so that the tree looks like half the needles have fallen off. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

terry f

Is there any money to be made on them after harvest and trucking?

treefarm

Great pics GATreeGrower!
Treefarm

WDH

Quote from: terry f on September 12, 2013, 04:00:23 AM
    Is there any money to be made on them after harvest and trucking?

Oh yes.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GATreeGrower

There has been more big wood and chip n saw come out than I thought, thanks to the loader/grader doing a good job

thecfarm

Questions,probably if I wait for a day or two the pictures will tell me the answers. Is some being chipped,hauled tree lenght,logs? I think you mentioned chips and logs?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

GATreeGrower

The chip n saw specs for this mill are a 12" butt and 6" top.  Theres also a "big wood" grade that goes to Beasley and I am marking large poles 13" at eye level and they haul those tree length.  And of course pulpwood

thecfarm

The chip n saw specs???? Must be a slang? Not heard of that here.  :)

GATreeGrower

Chip n saw down here is medium size pine trees basically.  Some of it is chipped and made into pulp and some of it is sawn into small dimension lumber

GATreeGrower

WDH probably has a better definition than me  :)

thecfarm

Sounds good to me. Thank you for all of the answers.

beenthere

Small trees not big enough to go to a regular sawmill as sawlogs but still big enough to take a couple 2x 's are fed through a chip-n-saw (one pass through and done). Priced accordingly, but wood is worth more in solid lumber form than in a chip.

http://www.forest2market.com/blog/How-Big-Should-I-Let-My-Trees-Grow-Sawtimber-vs.-Chip-n-Saw
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

BT is right on.  A Chip-N-Saw mill when it first came into being had two chipping heads that chipped two sides square, then two band saws (one on each side) that could take a side board off each side of the cant.  These are called twin bands.  The cant then went into a gang saw to be cut into dimension lumber (2x stock).  So, the chip-n-saw mills could process small logs very fast, hence the name for the smaller sawlogs became "chip-n-saw" logs. 

GATreeGrower

GATreeGrower

Got to play in the briar patch today looking for poles.  There aren't many.  But 11 chipnsaw loads today and 3 pulp makes me a happy tree farmer.

GATreeGrower

GATreeGrower

Some more pictures

Thank You Sponsors!