iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logging Contract

Started by Cedrica, November 19, 2013, 11:41:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cedrica

What is the wording used in a contract when the landowner (me) does not want a bunch of slash piles left after logging?  I want the slash left in the logged area. 

Draco

Slash residue should suffice.

enigmaT120

You're not going to burn the slash?  Will you have room to replant? 
Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

RynSmith

Welcome, Cedrica.  Depending on how you really want it to look, a phrase such as "lop and scatter" can be used.  You can go further to indicate maximum length allowable and/or distance from the ground (the closer to the ground, the faster it will decompose).  Of course things like this take some amount of time, which in turn costs some amount of money.   :)

It is your property, though, so make sure to communicate with whomever you're contracting as to your expectations.

cutter88

so u want the mess left in the bush not in the landing is that correct?
my contracts in this case say " contractor is responable for cleaning up land area"
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

NWP

Cedrica, where are you located?  Different parts of the country have different logging practices.  Some areas clear cuts may be the norm.  In others areas, selective cuts in hardwoods would leave tops where the tree was felled.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

treeslayer2003

slash and tops shall be scattered on the forest floor is how i'v seen it. if they have a delimber, they won't like the extra work but they can do it.

WDH

I like to have the slash redistributed back on the skid trails. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Cedrica,welcome to the forum. What kind of logging?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Cedrica

The logging operation is a 10-12 acre clear-cut in Western Oregon.  Is piling and burning the slash more for the appearance than the health of the forest?  Are there other reasons (other than finding spots to plant the seedlings) for piling the debris? Replanting is a concern.  But wouldn't having lots of slash on the ground help the seedlings grow because the deer can't get to them as easily? I appreciate the comments from you all.  It is nice to be able to have some help figuring this stuff out.

curdog

I'd rather see the slash spread over the skid trails or piled off the deck. I just hate wading through logging slash to check on tree planting.  The skid trails are where most of the erosion will come from, and the tops ( especially pine) does a good job holding things in place. I plant seedlings that are treated for deer browse, and it seems to work since I've never had any problems with deer munching on my seedlings.... beavers are a different story  >:(

WDH

Many of the nutrients in a tree are in the leaves, needles, and twigs.  Redistributing this material helps preserve soil fertility.  One harvest without redistributing the slash would not deplete a soil, but doing it repeatedly over many rotations would.  Slash distribution is easiest when using grapple skidders as they take the slash back from delimbing on the loading deck and drop it back in the woods. 

Here is a pic of slash that has been redistributed on a skid trail in a skid corridor from a first commercial thinning of a plantation on my property in Georgia.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

RynSmith

What is the overall slope of the property?

WDH

Very good question.  In the West, the ground may not allow grapple skidders.

Cedrica

The logging will be mostly on a west facing hillside.

RynSmith

Lopping and scattering or otherwise having the slash distributed would help reduce erosion early on, especially on skid trails.  It can certainly help slow down the deer as well.  Slows down the hand-planters too, though. 

Historically, slash was piled and burned on the wetter side of WA (and I assume OR) while not on the drier sides.  IMO the reverse would've made more sense ecologically, but that is really neither here nor there...  :-X

Thank You Sponsors!