iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

So what motor oil really is right for two stroke Detroits.

Started by David-L, November 25, 2013, 07:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David-L

Well, haven't been able to start any jobs yet do to red tape so decided to go out back at the farm and cut some soft maple, pine pulp, and cordwood. Was 15 degrees here at 2pm yesterday and decided to get the skidder started and ready for today. Plugged it in and one hr later it fired right up but that 40wt Mobil monograde didn't make the oil gauge move for about 7 or so seconds. My answer was time to put in lighter oil for winter. Do you really think that 30wt would be much different, I don't. So i was going to try some 30wt anyways ( recommended for winter use), while picking up some winter grade bar oil today I looked at a old 1 gallon jug of Mobil Delvac Super 15-40 that had dust all over it from sitting on the shelf. To my disbelief it had a API CF rating. This is a Detroit rating, called the 1-800 # and sure enough three different techs for Mobil said it will work well in a 2 stroke ,has sulfated ash content of 1.0 and on there web site it says they approve of it for use in two stroke Detroits. They actually rate it CF and CF-2 detroit ratings on there data sheet. Funny thing is the new 1 gal jugs and the 5 gallon pails don't tell you this cf rating but is the same oil. I bought a 5 gallon pail for $71.00 and was very happy to have 15-40w for the next few months of cold weather then we will go back to to straight 40. I bought the 1 gallon jug just to have it with the CF rating. Maybe not important to some but good info for others.

David l

In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

treeslayer2003

we just run 15-40 rotella in everything. I see no difference, but any engine I been into has been very clean.

Ed_K

delvac 1300 which is 15-40, mechanic who rebuilt my 4-53 says it won't bother it a bit.
Ed K

mobile demensia

If you are able to plug it in try an oil pan heater as well as your coolest heater. You should have instant oil pressure with the pan heater.
Timberjack 230D
Mobile Dimension 127
Woodcraft 30-20a
2 Stihl 660's
and growing

Maine logger88

I run delvac 15 40 in my 353 and cenpeco 15 40 in my 540b and my duramax I asked my uncle (a very respected diesel mechanic in the area) about running multi grade oil in the old Detroit's and he said that when the new oil came out with the detergent it would wash a lot of the carbon off and that's what would cause problems but by now most have already run the new oil and especially if its been rebuilt you won't have any trouble but nobody run it cause of what I say that is just my 2 cents
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

coxy

ga jones

There is a problem with using multi grade oil in a detroit. The ash content is way to high. It shortens the life span of the pistons and rings. The rings get slugged. There have been many tests done showing the problem .there is already a thread with it in here. The pics of the damage is also In the thread.Sae 30 or sae 20 below 0.there are new oils made for EGR engines that is suitable. They are low ash also the new EGR engines soot just like a detroit.MTU diesel has the spec on there web site.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

ga jones

The rating stystem changed they removed one of the ratings maybe cf? Can't remember for sure. API cf-2 was the spec from MTU.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

ga jones

Found it API cd-2 is the old designation that's the one that's discontinued. That was the detroit spec.

grassfed

If you research and follow the chronological order of DD recommendations you will find out that they NOW recommend straight 40wt with CF-2 designation. You can use 30wt if you must. 50 Wt in the big series 110 engines but 40 is preferred winter and summer for 53, 71, and  92s . If you want to see a Shell brand oil that works for DD 2 strokes follow this link for Rotella T1.  These recommendations are based on better data than any engine builder/mechanic will have. Of course you can use whatever you feel comfortable with but then why bother asking what is recommended? * Detroit spec is CF-2* NOT CD-2

http://www.shell.com/rotella/products/t1.html
Mike

ga jones

Grassfed cd-2 is an obsolete designation it was the detroit spec

David-L

Mobil Delvac 1300 super, 1.0 Sulfated ash, 4.7 cp @150 degrees celcius, ( 1 point better than what is called for ) CF and CF-2 rating on there web site ( approved by Mobil for use in Driptroit 2 strokes ). Some of the shear #'s and others are better than 30 and 40 straight grades. i will give it a try and let you know what comes of it. If it is like water after 100hrs I will change it out. I ran 15-40 Rotella in the last two Detroits and once stared they ran ok in my book with oil changes every 100 hrs. Mobil Delvac sounds to be a good oil to me.
                                                       David l

David-L

Grassfed,
Rotella 30wt has a 1.0 ash content just like Delvac 1300 super and I could not find there specs on the other #'s at there web site. It is also a good oil and thanks for your input. Nice 440B you have, that was my first skidder and would turn on a dime in the woodlot.

David

jwilly3879

We run Rotella 15-40 in in all the equipment year round. Recommended by the mechanic who has worked on Detroits for years, I do run straight 40 in the 353 from April-October.

Mapleman

I've been running the John Deere plus 50 15-40 oil in all my equipment,  including the Detroit 353 in my Timberjack skidder.  Reading this thread has got me wondering if I'm doing the right thing.  Any opinions on the JD oil in a Detroit?

Dave
"The older I get, the better I used to be."

ga jones

Sae 50 is only to be used in high temps.and the sulfur ash is to be .5 ,if its one or above then cut your change intervals the PDF spec sheet is at. demanddetroit.com

coxy

14 years with one 353 and 13 on the other 353 with 15/40 and still going 8) 8)

coxy

Quote from: coxy on November 26, 2013, 06:57:34 PM
14 years with one 353 and 13 on the other 353 with 15/40 and still going 8) 8)
and over 100000miles on a 671 with 15/40  gm dealer said that's what to run in the old girl 8)

ehp

I always run 15/40 oil in them year round and never had a single problem that was oil related in any of the 353's or 453's, Now number of hours on the 353's before I would rebuild them was 8,000 to 8500 hours , a couple of the 453's went to 10,000 hours before rebuild , always changed the oil at 250 hours

redprospector

Quote from: ehp on November 26, 2013, 07:41:02 PM
I always run 15/40 oil in them year round and never had a single problem that was oil related in any of the 353's or 453's, Now number of hours on the 353's before I would rebuild them was 8,000 to 8500 hours , a couple of the 453's went to 10,000 hours before rebuild , always changed the oil at 250 hours

Hey Ed,
Good to see you on here. From the looks of your avatar, you've added another young one since I've heard from you last. So I assume that all is well on your end.

Most of what I've got is John Deere, and Cummins, then there's 1 Kubota, 1 Yanmar, and 1 353 Detroit. I feed them all a steady dose of Delo 400 15-40. Change the oil & filters at 200 to 250 hours, and they all seem to like it. My old 440b has over 12000 hours, and still counting, the 353 is in a log loader that the meter quit before I got it. So God only knows how many hours are on her.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

ehp

Hey Andy , yes I'm still alive and yes added another boy to the family but thats it , she sent me to the vet and got me snipped  ;D

Dieselsteve

Rotella T 15w-40 is the way to go. not much of a difference between a two and a four stroke diesel, except method of air intake, timing, and crank to cam rotation ratio.

snowstorm

Dieselsteve

well all the holes in the liners are the method of air intake difference they don't have intake valves when the piston is forced below the holes the cylinder is filled with air then compresses it for the power stroke.

snowstorm

David-L

Preparing our goods for the big meal. Happy Thanksgiving all.

David l and Kat

ga jones

Multi grade oils in a detroit  there is the old post I was referring to

Thank You Sponsors!