iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My little friends

Started by Peter Drouin, June 30, 2013, 07:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

I herd a loud buzz and the sky was full of bees :D
After a minute or two they were 50' up in a tree, all I could do is look at them and put an empty hive to see if they will go into it.

That was at 2 pm , now it; s 7.16 pm and raining hard and there still there.

maybe they will be allright ::)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

bama20a

Yep thats sad  :( when there is nothing you can do to catch them. Had the same thing happen about 2 weeks ago, A very large swarm,
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

drobertson

Never seen that before, almost sounds like their hive has been destroyed, maybe by a plow or mower? maybe even a tore down house structure,  busy bees will find a way if there is a queen,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thecfarm

Nice picture Peter. I have never seen a swarm either. I take it you must do something with bees to have a hive?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

Quote from: thecfarm on June 30, 2013, 09:14:41 PM
Nice picture Peter. I have never seen a swarm either. I take it you must do something with bees to have a hive?

Yea, I have , had 2 hives. They made it through the winter ok, Last week I took 5 gallons of honey from that one hive. Good hive.
The spring honey is  light and sweet . To me the best. I will leave the fall honey [dark and strong]for them.
see I should have paidattention to them.More  :D When the Queen can not lay eggs [ no room] they leave :D. The hive has still a lot of bees in it maybe it will requeen

Maybe tomorrow they will find the hive I put out for them, then put them back
If that happens Ill make sure the queen has room :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Riggs

Good luck with them Peter, I caught my first swarm about two weeks ago. They seem to be doing well. Mine had actually swarmed to the side of an empty hive that I still had set up from last year. They were no trouble at all to catch. 50 feet up like these, I wouldn't know where to start.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

cutterboy

It's good to see the honey bees thriving. A few years ago there were none around here. Now I see a few, it's good to have them back.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Peter Drouin

Well I herd a loud buzz around 11am and the swarm flue a way south east of me  :D
So I called all the neighbors to have them keep a  look out for them, Some of my neighbors gave up on bees and left their old bee hives out, I'm sure my bees found one. But will the neighbor call ?  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Maybe

There still a lot of bees it the hive and eggs hatching too
So will see if they requeen  or I'll have to buy one, bees can be a pith
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

Well today my wife was out and looking at her flowers Garden.
And look what Ann found

So Ann came a running and said look here. :o
I got dressed and the tools to get them. I don't think they are the swarm I lost  :D
first get the smoke, the good stuff. :D :D

then cut , there were two stick, I cut one then cut the outher with one hand and hold the first one.

JUST SHAKE IT,  get them in the box , give them a little smoke and  shake again
got most all in. I know a got the queen too :D I think, a lot of bees to look at and looking for one ,queen :D :D If some one calls. have you seen my bees I'll tell them to come and get them :D more pics

All 3 hives  in the bear box ;D 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

beenthere

That was pretty slick.  Nice bunch.  smiley_thumbsup
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Paul_H

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

bama20a

Man that is great,Also love the pics-.
You may already know this,But if you will take a rake of brood from another one of your hives, it will give them a good head start,By the queen not having to wait for them to build wax,Also that will give you young bees till she does lay,Mark,,,,
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Use the shop vac like Willie, Phil, Jase and Si did.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Roxie

That was very interesting!  Thank you for taking the time to take and post the pictures. 

(Poston,  :D)

Say when

Riggs

Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

Jim_Rogers

So to all you people who don't have bees, do you know how to tell which one is the "Queen".....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Wildflower

I think she is the biggest bee in the bunch.
Co-owner of The Forestry Forum.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

She's the one that's continually buzzing about nothing at all.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Jim_Rogers

I won't say No to wildflower but that wasn't the answer I was looking for.

And I won't say NO to poston either. But that wasn't the answer I was looking for either.

Jim Rogers

Magicman

She is actually the largest bee in the hive, but there are other differences.  Queen Bee
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandhills

It's not the one wearing the crown?  Seriously though I like reading about this, we have a few bee keepers around here, rented some pasture a few years back that had hives in it and really had fun watching them (the bees).  Never had any trouble walking by them or fixing fence around them.

Jim_Rogers

Yes, sandhills, she's the one wearing the crown..... :D

But everyone else also got the right answer.....

Jim Rogers

Thank You Sponsors!