iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can some one identify this tree for me

Started by Dana Stanley, August 25, 2018, 05:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dana Stanley

These are fast growing, follow the sun and snap under their own weight.

Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

Dana Stanley

Woodland Mills HM-126
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter

JohnW

I can't tell for sure, but it looks like boxelder

Dana Stanley

They get to be about 60 feet tall then start falling down, snapping, limbs, and at the y Crotch, or however you say it.
I think you are right, Box Elder. I looked it up and they are usually accompanied by these heinous little red bugs,)which we get often, although not bad this year.)  They lay in wait at the entrance to my shop, and jump on my back when I go through the doorway. Crawling down my back, in my ears, and on my face.
The article said these are considered a weed, are softwood, and have no commercial value. That figures, the one species of tree I have ample access to.  Maybe I can use them for stickers and such.
Woodland Mills HM-126

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

TKehl

Can be some beautiful wood though.  Look up images of  "boxelder turning" or "boxelder lumber".  
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

beeegjeem

I feel your pain on the box elder bugs. They pretty much took over my house this year. If you catch them in a group you can wipe a pack of them out out by spraying them with some soap and water mixture. Not sure why but its almost instant kill.

Southside

Box elder lumber can have a gorgeous red hue to it.  As a small mill owner / operator you have to think outside of the box - no pun intended - and find those logs that the commodity mills shun - they are your diamond in the rough.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

BTW, your picture of the leaf is actually not the leaf.  Box elder has compound leaves, and what you have pictured is a leaflet.  Box elder usually has three to five leaflets to the leaf.

Virginia Tech Dendrology Fact Sheet
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

lxskllr

Old office I was in for awhile got box elder bugs inside every fall. Those, and ladybugs. Tons of them. Mildly irritating, but not a huge deal. Beats the stinkbugs I get now  :^S

Dana Stanley

Quote from: Southside logger on August 25, 2018, 11:03:32 PM
Box elder lumber can have a gorgeous red hue to it.  As a small mill owner / operator you have to think outside of the box - no pun intended - and find those logs that the commodity mills shun - they are your diamond in the rough.  
Yes I did some reading on it in an effort to find some redeeming features of the wood, as I have it in abundance. I think, as I make signs and do wood working, I can find some use for it. I can run an add too if I cut some up, as some people seem to think it is awesome with the red staining in it. It would make nice boxes.
Funny the things people say, one girl was told the red is from the Box Elder bugs peeing on the wood, others thought it was fungus. As far as I can tell the red is thought to be an antifungal tat the tree releases when it splits, or gets an abrasion.
It's no good for anything exterior though, just interior!
Woodland Mills HM-126

DPatton

I believe many people like it for turning also.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

firefighter ontheside

I really want to mill some boxelder.  It grows a lot around here in bottomlands by rivers, but I don't have a source for it.  I think I can sell it  as soft maple or with red and pink streaks I think certain people will want it for that.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

TKehl

I kind of laugh at how a lot of woodworkers want the exotic woods.  Yes, some of them are very special, but "exotic" and "desirable" also depends on your location...  

What I mean is that Honey Locust, Hedge, Persimmon, and Eastern Red Cedar all grow like weeds here.  But I see threads periodically about people yearning to get their hands on these weeds...    :D

Sometimes it isn't about the species, but about proper preparation and shipping.   ;)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Southside

I have a customer who was telling me about being overseas at a local wood yard - Ipe that sort of stuff was all over the place.  In the middle of the yard was a secured area which he asked about.  He was told he needed the managers permission to go in there as it was the "very special wood".  Of course he had to go check it out, got permission and opened the Arc of the Covenant, only to reveal ---- Southern Yellow Pine!!!  So yes, it's all about location.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

low_48

It usually takes a really sick box elder to have the red streaks. Woodworkers who prize the red streaks will be so disappointed in just a few years. Exposed to sunlight, that red goes to a dull salmon color in no time at all. Won't be great for exterior signs either, almost no rot resistance. I hate the smell.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dana Stanley

Quote from: low_48 on August 28, 2018, 09:53:41 PM
It usually takes a really sick box elder to have the red streaks. Woodworkers who prize the red streaks will be so disappointed in just a few years. Exposed to sunlight, that red goes to a dull salmon color in no time at all. Won't be great for exterior signs either, almost no rot resistance. I hate the smell.
I was more thinking interior novelty signs, as I did read how left outside it will disappear in a couple of years!
Woodland Mills HM-126

caveman

MM, that looks like Acer negundo to me but I am not an expert.  Good looking slabs, regardless.
Caveman

Magicman

You would be correct so apparently you are an expert.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!