iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

liver

Started by coxy, March 10, 2017, 09:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

can you believe my wife would not cook it for me she started gagging and left the house  ::)  :D I always ate it at my mom&dads but haven't had it in over 2 years since they passed away  want to try and pickle some this summer

Den Socling

egads! That crunchy crap passed my lips once but never again.   :D

sawguy21

That stuff STINKS when being cooked. I can eat baby beef with lots of onions if nothing else is available but don't come near me with mature liver.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Dan_Shade

Boss Hogg ate it raw
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

coxy

I guess I'm not going to get any sympathy here  :)

thecfarm

Coxy,I'm on your side. I had it with my parents. I liked it,but I have never bought any myself. I guess I don't like it that much.  ;D
Better than grits.  :D  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

No sympathy from me.  :-X  Don't like chicken and grits, but eat liver.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

petefrom bearswamp

My mom cooked it fairly often while I was growing up.
But my dad always liked his meat cooked beyond belief so it was tougher than whalebone.
I aint bad when cooked with bacon and onions.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Ricker

1st or 2nd year I deer hunted, about 1976 or 77, we group hunted a dozen or so guys and someone shot a deer and one of the older guys about 65 I think cuts a chunk off that steaming, bleeding liver and starts chewing it down. I can see him standing there with that dark blood running down his chin. One of the most disgusting things i have ever witnessed. Don't touch the stuff.

Skip

I feel for ya Coxy, I like it but my cardiologist don't. Ummmm, I might need an intervention.

pabst79

Like a lot of things, its all in the prep, I'm not a fan of eating liver that's been frozen and then cooked to the texture of a red wing boot, that's just nasty. I do like it fresh though, we usually get a whole beef in late summer and the farmer always brings us the liver and heart fresh the day of slaughter, before the rest is done at the butcher shop. Cooked medium rare with onions and butter, sometimes bacon, its pretty good stuff. My neighbor also makes pork liver during deer season that stuff is really good, not sure of his recipe.  digin1
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

DelawhereJoe

My wife wouldn't cook it either, its taken me 12 years for her to agree to cook ham and cabbage.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

coxy

Quote from: Magicman on March 11, 2017, 07:58:58 AM
No sympathy from me.  :-X  Don't like chicken and grits, but eat liver.   :o
come on us men are supposed to stick together  ;D  the trouble I have with chicken is it eats its own crap so by eating just the wings it only taste a little crappy  :)

Magicman

:D  Yup and so do pigs, but I still like bacon.  Now about the liver....YOYO.  (You're On Your Own).   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

coxy

MM thanks for the little memory haven't been call a yoyo  :D :)since my dad passed away 3years ago

Magicman

You are very welcome Sir.  It's amazing how small things can revive sweet memories.   :)

LeeB

I like liver but don't eat it much any more. I't just not the same without breading and gravy. The breading I can get around by using almond meal and crushed pork skins, but i have yet to come up with a decent gravy without flour.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

coxy

does anyone have a good recipe for pickling it   I had it a few times years ago it was a different texture for shur

21incher

My mom used to make the best calves liver, bacon, and onions. I loved it almost as much as the cows tongue she also cooked. Now the only liver I get is the turkey liver fried up on Thanksgiving for breakfast. digin1
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

coxy

mmmmm pickled cows tongue  food1 digin1 digin_2 musteat_1

Raider Bill

Calf's liver fried medium rare in the bacon grease and onion with mashed potatoes!
DELISH!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Czech_Made

Quote from: coxy on March 10, 2017, 09:02:55 PM
can you believe my wife would not cook it for me she started gagging and left the house  ::)  :D I always ate it at my mom&dads but haven't had it in over 2 years since they passed away  want to try and pickle some this summer

I always cook deer liver, my son eats it with me, but nobody else.  My hunting buddies know to save the liver for me when they bag a deer  ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

My Uncle Billy had a pickled Liver.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Raider Bill

Your friend Raider Bill may have one too just give me time. :D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

coxy

got it pickled liver and GRITS  :D :D but then again don't want to ruin the liver  :D 8)

Thank You Sponsors!