iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

intro

Started by rmack, February 18, 2012, 06:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmack

Hi folks,

I didn't notice an intro section so i figured this would be as good a place as any. My name is Bob and I have been wanting a portable band mill for quite a few years.

I worked in a number of different jobs in the bush in my youth, spent about 10 years in sawmill construction in British Columbia, and now work in the Alberta oil patch.

I started my trades training in 1985 with a 7 month millwright pre-app and went on to get a basic welding ticket in 1987. I have been working one or another form of construction pretty well ever since. I almost bought a new wood-mizer 4 years ago, anyways... life got in the way... but I still think that's the direction I want to go.

I have been lurking and reading, and realize there is a lot to learn about this business. One thing that concerns me is that it seems that rough/green lumber is currently selling for $235.00/mbft. Unless I'm reading the information wrong, that is 23 1/2 cents a board foot, or less than the price for milling alone, never mind stumpage and logging.

http://www.madisonsreport.com/keyprice.html

I understand that a small operator needs to find some sort of niche, but with lumber prices that low, how can anyone make money in this game.

Is this just the wrong time to get into the business?
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Holmes

Welcome to the Forestry Forum rmack.  Holmes
Think like a farmer.

Autocar

Welcome Bob alot of good guys with tons of information on this site.
Bill

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, rmack.  You are correct that sawing is sometimes a niche market.  My primary sawing is beetle killed Pine for landowners.  It can not be sold and they are trying keep those trees from being a total loss.  Specialty lumber such as Cedar, Walnut, Oak, etc. always have a furniture builder's market.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Amax

A man sooner or later discovers that he is the master-gardener of his soul, the director of his life.
James Allen

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
William Wallace

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum. I would like to add that it is very difficult to compete with the big mills that are cutting that size lumber. They have everything set up to where they just have to keep the pipe line full and running. You will soon learn that the sawing is usually easier than the marketing.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Bandmill Bandit

Hi Rmack

Welcome to the forum.

Where in the this fair province do you live?

I bought my mill in 2007. I cut about 15MBF of 2X6 and 2X8 as inventory that then took me 2 years to sell. I averaged about $425 Per MBF. Didn't lose money but didn't make a lot either. The only time I cut those dimensions now is when a customer brings logs of his own that he  want cut to those dimensions.

I cut to order now and I am working on a couple of markets that have some real goo potential.

Send me a PM we can chat.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

dukndog

Welcome to the FF, Rmack/Bob!!

DnD
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

fishpharmer

Welcome to FF. you found the right place for sawmill information.  The best advice I ever received about farming was this- "make sure you have a market before you grow it." 

I have found sawmilling similar... you need a market.  Ask around and do some research, markets can be found.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

rmack

Thanks for the welcome  :)

the area I live in is awash in bug kill pine, Cache Creek BC, so I guess that will likely be the wood I learn to run a mill on.

I was talking with a guy about an early '90's lt40hd, but it seems that no sooner did he advertise it for sale, people suddenly had all kinds of wood to saw up...

figures... :D

the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Thank You Sponsors!