iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Siding / Carpentry Question

Started by mitchstockdale, May 28, 2019, 02:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mitchstockdale

Soon I will be starting to install wood siding on my house (first time) and when I installed the windows about a year and half ago I installed aluminum head flashing tucked up under the the building wrap with lots of Dupont sticky flashing.  I did this knowing it would be at least a year before i got around to siding the place and didn't want any trouble (and I haven't).

Now.. I am about to start the siding and am wondering whether i should remove the existing aluminum head flashing from the windows then install my stained cedar window trim around the windows and then bend new aluminum head flashing over the trim instead of the window.

I have seen several photos of the head flashing being over the trim just wondering since head flashing is really to stop water getting in the top of the window does it really mater if its directly over the window or over the trim?

Thanks
Mitch

Mike W

I would leave in place the flashing installed on the top of the window, install top trim with another drip edge over the trim.  Stand back and take a good look, if not too clunky looking go with that.  If the double flashing looks too out of place, pull the flashing at the window and would install drip flashing above the horizontal trim piece, the window is relatively self flashed, the horizontal trim needs flashing when the sealant fails in this location.  just an opinion of course.  flashing above the horizontal trim will be more effective then no flashing there and at the window / trim location only. 

florida

The flashing should be over the trim and under the housewrap.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

mitchstockdale

Quote from: florida on May 28, 2019, 03:51:40 PM
The flashing should be over the trim and under the housewrap.
This is what i was thinking.  Was really leaning toward removing the existing flashing and going over the trim.
Thanks

Thank You Sponsors!