iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2019 ???

Started by Magicman, March 08, 2019, 08:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawg Dawg

Sawed some 8x8×20' syp today

Sawed about 1 SGU of W.O. 1 1/2" x 6" x 16'

My help didn't show up this afternoon, so I rigged my youngest son up with a plastic worm and he went fishing

After all this I came back to my barn this evening and took a picture of the ceiling

ALL in A DAYS WORK! WATCHA SAWIN?!
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

tule peak timber

Your son looks like me at his age :)
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

redbeard

Not sure what exactly this log is, when the customer sent me pics and asked if I would slice slabs on shares I thought it was walnut and said sure bring it over. Anyway this was a limb that was a good 30" diameter.
The trunk was huge and heavy a good 50" diameter. Yet to mill it.
My 10k lift had to have rpms just too unload it.
Iam thinking it's Black Oak.
What do you all think it is? 

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

WDH

The buds on the shoots coming off the trunk do indicate oak. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Darrel

Looks very much like the black oak I've sawn. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Rob in NC

Starting on my framing lumber run for my new shop. logged a few nice pines off the farm:

Logs got too big for the loader to pick up anymore..

Notice how far off the pith is in this log. It was leaning about 20 degrees but looked like it had always been that way - straight as an arrow just 20 degrees from straight up. Boards probably end up all over the place. You can also see the excessive breakout from how much it was leaning - front cut pinched quick and backcut gave up too soon. That plug was probably 50" deep including the splits and ruined about 7 boards.

Rarely do I get a heart cut in the first slab cut..

2012 Lt 35 manual

Bruno of NH

Milling up some pine framing lumber for the Curved-wood project  (sorry not enough hemlock or spruce)
Some poplar live edge and square edge for inventory. I have no problem selling poplar.

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Kwill

Built this today out of lumber off our farm and cut with my homemade bandsaw mill. This is at my dad's house. It's a shed for him to his trailer under out of the weather . All built out of cedar. Got the perlin boards on and it started raining. Just have the tin left to put on

Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

allaboutsawdust

Bruno its good to see poplar not going to waste, I think people sometimes dont realize some of the uses it can have and often gets wasted. Its a good wood for wood carving and is as good as you can get for barn floors with horses, strong enough to put up with the abuse yet doesn't splinter. Keep up the good sawing everyone!
A father son cut to length team with a '00 rottne smv harvester,  and a 2010 rottne smv forwarder, '74 664 clark ranger skidder.

WDH

@redbeard,

Took another look at your pic and a few of the buds on the shoots look like they are opposite each other.  If they are, then that would rule in favor of big leaf maple instead of oak.  Any of those stem shoots left to get a close look to see if they are opposite each other on the stem?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Kwill, our glaciated members are gonna have a hard time figuring the snow load capability of that shed.  ;D

I was back to sawing my sandy job this morning.

Thankfully they did get forks put on the skid-steer.

Loading a couple of logs onto the "log truck" to bring to the sawmill.

And he dumped them!!  Yup, dumped is about all that I can say.  Those are two 22' logs and part of what I will saw tomorrow.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Magicman on April 23, 2019, 08:59:05 PMKwill, our glaciated members are gonna have a hard time figuring the snow load capability of that shed. ;D

Naw, just trying to figure out how he's gonna get the trailer over those 2x8's (or 2x10's)... :D

Kwill, are you going to pour a slab or lay some gravel for the trailer?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Southside

@Rob in NC on that leaner, for future reference, a bore cut and open face notch work very well to keep from getting fiber pull like that, also eliminates closing of the notch too soon and premature hinge breakage.     
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Kwill

Quote from: ljohnsaw on April 23, 2019, 09:12:36 PM
Quote from: Magicman on April 23, 2019, 08:59:05 PMKwill, our glaciated members are gonna have a hard time figuring the snow load capability of that shed. ;D

Naw, just trying to figure out how he's gonna get the trailer over those 2x8's (or 2x10's)... :D

Kwill, are you going to pour a slab or lay some gravel for the trailer?
The 2x8 was forms to get things square. They are coming off
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Kwill

Quote from: Magicman on April 23, 2019, 08:59:05 PM
Kwill, our glaciated members are gonna have a hard time figuring the snow load capability

yeah. Some seem to think everything needs to be built like you live in new england.
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Dana Stanley

I was giving the roof the hairy eyeball for a minute, until I saw you are in Missouri.

Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

richhiway

Quote from: Lawg Dawg on April 22, 2019, 09:59:08 PM
Sawed some 8x8×20' syp today

Sawed about 1 SGU of W.O. 1 1/2" x 6" x 16'

My help didn't show up this afternoon, so I rigged my youngest son up with a plastic worm and he went fishing

After all this I came back to my barn this evening and took a picture of the ceiling

ALL in A DAYS WORK! WATCHA SAWIN?!
Is your wood floor sitting on the ground? I was thinking of building a wood floor for my woodmizer. 
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Magicman

This bad boy will be first up for tomorrow's sawing.

It's horns are over 40" wide so I will have to do some chainsaw work after I brush the sand off.  ::)

As of now I have six more 24"+ logs with one being in the 34-36" class, and 4 pecker logs to saw .  

He probably has ~6-8 more trees to come down, so with rain tomorrow there is no way that I can finish this week.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

No sawing for me today.....rain.  :-\

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

RichTired

MM,
   Maybe the rain will wash all the sand off your logs and no need for brushing...

think_not
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

tule peak timber

Monterrey cyprus today .A supplier called me last night offering 30000 plus BF of English walnut like the bottom picture. My wife is not happy. > >:(

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: tule peak timber on April 25, 2019, 12:11:13 PM
Monterrey cyprus today .A supplier called me last night offering 30000 plus BF of English walnut like the bottom picture. My wife is not happy. > >:(

That's Awesome Rob...I'd have to purchase that.  Also Love that California Board and Batton! 

That's what I'm cutting these logs into Board and Batton
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

tule peak timber

doc henderson

Had a fellow woodworker and doc bring me a walnut log.  The tree was dying.  He had it on the back of a flatbed truck and was so crooked, it nearly was dragging the ground 8 feet behind the truck. I cut it each time it took a major bend and got 4 chunks about 4 to 5 feet long.  

for fun I cut a thin slice.

a nice variety of slabs and boards.  a bit of live edge and rustic stock.  I think we can see why the tree was damaged and dying.

lemonade from a lemon.  I assume these are carpenter ants, and they responded to permethrin horse stall spray rom TSC.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!