iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Basswood Jewelry Box

Started by lowpolyjoe, September 07, 2016, 08:24:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowpolyjoe

Spalted(?) basswood jewelry box from my back yard tree blown down a few years back. 

It was supposed to be a prototype before I build a similar style box from some Sapele I bought.  I don't really like the proportions very much, but it came out looking pretty good overall.  Better than I expected. 

The finish, I will admit, is terrible.  It's shellac plus a layer of furniture wax.   I got impatient during finishing and sanded through the shellac in a few places and didn't want to go back and reapply. 

This was my first effort at half blind dovetails.  And I had this brilliant idea for wooden drawer slides (inset maple).  After I glued the bottom onto the box I realized the slides were more trouble than they were worth in this case since the drawer could just rest on the bottom of the box.  If I build another box with the same style I will probably skip them.

Magicman

Actually the slide is a good thing because it prevents the drawer bottom from rubbing the finish off of the base. 

And your project is very nice.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Clark

Those are some nice looking half-blind dovetails. Overall a very nice project.

I don't know if basswood ever spalts...or if it does, it might have already turned into mush but I could be wrong on that.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

lowpolyjoe

Thanks guys.

Thanks for the tip about the finish rubbing off the bottom, MagicMan - I hadn't thought about it.

Clark, I wasn't sure if the these pieces would be considered spalted.  Any time I see basswood pics, it's always very plain and mine is quite colorful.  Not sure how common that is.

LAZERDAN

Funny we have made hundreds of jewelry boxes.  You did the slides right, I then I see you say it's not what your gonna do. Good slides and a nice fitting top are the deal maker or breaker.   When someone opens that drawer, and it slides perfect and you see the WOW ( or a least that's nice ) in thier expression, you know it was all worth while.  Wax ur your friend.  Good luck    Lazerdan

lowpolyjoe

Lazerdan - you and Magicman have convinced me to include the slides in my next build.

I will admit that my drawer does not slide perfectly.  It's somewhat tight when near the 'closed' position, which almost seems desirable to me.  I tried to use hand tools wherever i could with this build and the slots in the drawer slides were made with an antique plow plane.  I had a very hard time cutting straight and square with it.  Next time i will probably go another way - either use a backsaw and chisels or break down and use a table saw or router table

Woodey

WOODMIZER LT40HDD34CAT w/accuset
JLG SKYTRAK 6036 Telescopic Forklift
NYLE L200 KILN
BAKER M412 MOULDER

21incher

Nice jewlery box. I like the slides and all the dovetails. If you want them to slide without contact, I use self adhesive UHMW tape that my local Woodcraft  store on the rail surface. I made one for my sister like yours without a stop on the top cover and she managed to rip the hinges off so now I use a small chain to keep it from opening up past 100 degrees and applying extra load to the hinges. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

lowpolyjoe

Thanks 21incher - I will look up that UHMW tape.   

I definitely plan to add a chain or rope or something, but I don't have anything on hand and I'm not sure what I want to use.  Maybe i'll take a trip to the craft store this weekend and look for something

Thank You Sponsors!