iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MD VW Woes

Started by Paul_H, September 22, 2005, 05:16:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul_H

It's a quick and easy setup too. Ole suggested an alternate way from MD. Start at #1 TDC and set tappets @ .008 ,then rotate the engine 1/2 turn counter clockwise and set #2, then 1/2 turn counter clockwise again and set #3, CCW 1/2 turn again and finish @ #4 cyl

Always when engine is cold.I'm sure I can remember Ole setting the valves,so I don't understand why they were so out of adjustment already.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Minnesota_boy

VW's were built in the old days when we still used tetraethyl lead to increase the octane rating of gasoline to prevent preignition.  One of the side effects of this was to deposit a little lead on the valves and valve seats that cushioned the impact of the valve closing and made the valves last longer.  The lead was removed from the fuel supply because of the other side effects it has on our lives and engines were made with harder valves to withstand the impact without the lead cushion.  You VW is suffering from the wear associated with the removal of the lead.  You can replace the valves and seats (if available) or you can adjust the valves a little more frequently.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Steve

I'd look for a loose head bolts too. I have found that can cause inconsistent valve clearances.

Steve
Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

Frank_Pender

Good to see you here Steve.  I guess I have missed your postings.  How are things on the East end of the Gorge? 
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!