iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

100 logs -How to move

Started by bhub, November 15, 2005, 06:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhub

I am in NY. A friend of mine called me, he has bought 12 acres and has cleared it. He offered me the lumber for free .  I usually go with my 16 foot trailer and winch my logs on. Today,  I went to take a look and the logs are cut and piled-Maple, walnut cherry and ash. Most logs are 16ft long and from 16 to 40 inch diameter. Some very nice lumber.  This is much more than I have ever seen before.  I am trying to find a way to get the wood . Anyone have any ideas about people to call. I can't find any local loggers. Are there folks that will trade transportation for logs.  Or, is this worth calling a lumber mill to buy. I have a 30" hudson manual mill. I'm a newby who has been cutting local cherry and walnut for my own furniture needs. I've been making furniture for 15 years. . I can't  use it all. Just looking for ideas. There are 10 cherry and 10 walnut trees in the pile. Some are beautifull.  My friend will give me all the lumber if I can move it.  Otherwise , I can take what I can with my trailer and he will bury the rest. Thanks
bhub
http://www.butchmuller.com

Fla._Deadheader

Find a Sawyer and see if he will saw "on shares" ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

raycon

Call a log hauler.  Fella with a grapple on his truck. Around here its $75-$150 a load depending on the cost of fuel and distance traveled.  Take the cherry and walnut on the first load if the owners ok with it.

If theres a 100 hardwood trees there. The hauler would more the likely trade wood for services. He'll at least know of a fire wood processor that will pay cash for a truck load.
Lot of stuff..

Brad_S.

Both good suggestions. One way to find both sawyers and truckers in your area is to call the DEC office. In Orange County, you're considered Region 3 with the office located in New Paltz. I tried to find the name of the forester for your zone but I got lost on the NY DEC web site. ::)

Region 3 Sullivan, Ulster, Orange, Dutchess, Putnam, Rockland and Westchester counties (845) 256-3000
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

chet

I wish you weren't so DanG far away.  :-\
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Frickman

In NY contract haulers should be easy to find. Ask around at the local mills, they'll know who is available.

I visited your website. Beautiful furniture you have there.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

TN_man

I want to second the motion about good-looking furniture. Quit the 2nd shift job and start full-time.
You didn't take one step back after that one picture, did you? :D
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

TexasTimbers

Beautiful work Butch. How about some background on that spiral bed with carved birds? How you visualized/concieved it. Was it a sudden visualization or an evolution? Was it someones else's idea, a commission piece? Did you/they sketch it? Sorry for all the ???s but I really want the low down on it! 8)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Lud

Nice stuff on your site.   

Shouldn't we be mentioning to Butch the value of getting the armorseal on the best logs????

Cutting for years , I'll assume he knows it  With large amount of logs , it seems they'll be sitting for a while..
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

woodmills1

try to get a copy of the hardwood market repot or northeast logger and look throught the ads to find a log buyer.  many will also provide trucking.  You could make a bundle on a stash like that and just keep a few for yourself.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

bhub

Thanks for all the help. I found a commercial mill  within 30 miles. They are willing to buy the usable logs and pick them up. I will split with the builder and take the cherry and walnut. Its more work than I thouht but I love cutting slabs.I don't have the biggest set
up, but I can get 29 " slabs. Its all manual and its the stacking and stickering slabs that hurts so much.
Here is my rig  http://www.geocities.com/splithatlog/mill.html   
Kevjay--A designer showed me a picture of a classic parrot bed. Very tight barley twist and urns holding the birds. The client wanted the concept but a more organic form.  I opened the twist to 4 to 1 and made birds that were more rustic more like ravens It was a great job but all hand work- The twist were carved
butch

Coon

:o :o  Great work Butch.  Keep up the good work. 

P.S.  I had to call the wife over to the computer to have a look at your work and she was very impressed.  Takes alot to impress her since she is very picky. :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Thank You Sponsors!