iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Going Horizontal

Started by Lost Pines, November 17, 2005, 08:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lost Pines

Going Horizontal on Bandsaw mill design after all.

Well I have bought a 30 ft trailer that has 2 nice straight and level 14" I beams for the right price.

It will make a good starting point for the Log Bed.

I have a ? about the feed rate and up/down head speed?
I have bought 2 -12 vdc pm 1/2 hp motors and need to know what speed
to design for.
I want to use some 90 degree worm gear reduction boxes with speed control on head travel.

Feed rate on Head 0 to ??? fpm
Head up down speed ??? fpm

Thanks,
Leland
Leland

Fla._Deadheader

On ours, we have an 1800 RPM 12V DC 3/4 HP motor for the feed. We went from 2" motor pully, to 10" jackshaft pulley. Other end of ther jackshaft has a 2" sprocket for chain feed. We use a PWM for variable speed control. It works well, but, return speed could be better. We do not have use of the first 1/4 turn of the Potentiometer, which would give us more speed with a smaller driven pulley. Changing the pulley to 9" would help return speed a bunch, OR go to a 3" driver pulley on the motor. Belt and pulleys single "A" section

The up-down is a boat trailer worm gear winch. We mounted the winch on top of the mast, ran a cable from it, down to a pulley-block, and back up to the bottom of the winch moiunt bracket. Goes up pretty well, with lots of power, and drops fairly quickly. We can "Bump up" easily and we get good production with this set-up. The motor has a 3" pulley, and the winch shaft an 8" pulley, "B" section.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Lost Pines

Where did you get your PWM speed control from?
Leland

Fla._Deadheader

Got it from a guy on ebay. His handle is intheyear2525 I think. Ebay search for PWM motor controller and check the seller name. There's a trick to using the PWM, but, it's simple. Been using our for 3 years and over 100m feet of lumber You want it upgraded to 85 AMPS minimum, even though the motor is drawing 31 AMPS max.  ;) ;)
   First, it is ridiculed;

D._Frederick

I am using a 1/4 hp 90 rpm gear motor with a 3 inch diameter capstant, it gives me about 75 lbs of pulling force with a speed range 0 - 80 ft per min.

For up down you should go from lock to lock in under 20 seconds and need to have a speed control that you slow to go to indexing position.

Fla._Deadheader

We don't use a speed control. Practice makes perfect.  ;D  I would guess our head goes up in about or under 20 seconds. We can raise up for a 34" cut above the bed.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Lost Pines

Thanks for all to GOOD INFO.

Fla._Deadheader

I found the PWM on ebay.

Now all I need to get my ratio correct.

8)
Leland

Fla._Deadheader

Our up-down ratio is 67 to 1 I believe. The winch we use is from Surplus center, although, a gearbox would be a neater application. I used what I knew would work, being in the Boating Industry. Even use a Outboard Motor Starter Motor to drive the winch.  ;) ;)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!