iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Newbie needs advice on controlling sweetgum

Started by NETX280, July 18, 2018, 08:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NETX280

Evening everyone.  I'm new to the forum so forgive me if this subject has already been covered before.
My wife and I have 100+ acres in NE TX.  The land was clear cut about 20 years ago and the trees on the place are just natural regeneration trees.  Mostly hardwoods some pine (short-leaf and loblolly).  
I will be doing some basal bark spraying with Triclopyr to get rid of sweetgums.  What is the best (most effective) oil to mix with the triclopyr.  I read about diesel being used but will that contaminate the soil?
Thanks for your advice.

Claybraker

I've used seed oil, but diesel will work just fine. Considering the small quantities involved, I doubt soil contamination will be an issue. One of the limitations with basal bark spraying on sweetgum is once the stem diameter reaches the point the bark turns corky, it takes a lot of material to get good coverage. Even then, it's not always effective.  Above 2-3" hack and squirt or drill and fill with something like Tordon or Chopper are more productive uses of your time.

WDH

You can use crop oil.  However, I also use diesel.  In a hack and squirt, tordon is deadly on sweetgum.  Sweetgum also puts out a lot of stems from root suckers. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

NETX280

Thanks gentlemen for your advice.  Guess I'll just use diesel.  On the larger trees (>4"dbh) I've used the drill and fill method with good results.  
Btw WDH thats a good looking bloodhound.

btulloh

I'm curious if drill and fill works as well as hack and squirt, or they about the same?  
HM126

Claybraker

Effectiveness is probably about the same, the key variable being the skill and experience level of the operator. Sometimes my "hack" gets cattywampus and the herbicide leaks out the low side down the bark where it doesn't accomplish much of anything.  Drill and fill allows me to overcome my lack of skill and/or poor technique. :-[

btulloh

I'm the king of cattywampus.  Ar least in the running for king.  I was told, by someone of questionable background, that it was best to go completely around the tree so you get poison to the entire cambium.  That's ok for a couple trees, but it get's old fast.  I've got some tree-of-heaven that need a dose.  Maybe I'll try the drill and fill and see what happens.  I can drill better than I can hack.

(sorry to for hijack OP, back to the regular programming . . .)

Good luck with the sweetgum. They do like to propagate.
HM126

WDH

Quote from: NETX280 on July 19, 2018, 12:43:38 PMBtw WDH thats a good looking bloodhound.
That was Miss Scarlet.  She was my hack-n-squirt partner.  We spent may hours in the woods together.  May she rest in peace. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

timberking

When we Hypo Hatchetted it was ring most species of hdwd especially gum.  That gum pulp is worth more than pine so don't burn and dollars

Thank You Sponsors!