iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Iron mule flywheel

Started by Firewoodjoe, January 23, 2019, 08:07:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewoodjoe

My starter is not engaging every time on the flywheel. The flywheel is worn in spots so I called Rolland equipment to order one so it's on hand when I need it. Well they no longer have one in stock. Said he'd call around and check/dig. I hope he come up with something or maybe you guys can help. It's a ford based machine. Ford engine and 3 speed auto power shift trans. The part number in my book is 0400-0196 maybe another machine has it also. I'll post a pic of what my book shows. Assuming it's right. Could I have it welded and machined down?

Firewoodjoe

Firewoodjoe

I'm wondering if it's the same as the ford 5000 tractor it looks the same on the Internet

chevytaHOE5674

Just did a clutch in a 5310 iron mule a month back and all the parts came from the New Holland dealer for a ford 5000 tractor. Im nearly positive the ring gear on the flywheel is replaceable separately.

nativewolf

New member just started a thread on iron mules, maybe send him note, theirs looked very well maintained.
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Liking Walnut

Firewoodjoe

I think you're right Chevy Tahoe the only thing is this is a not very common three speed clark power shift most are manual trans. But I'm thinking 70s and 80s technology they probably use the same replaceable ring gear on all of the ford 5000 series

mike_belben

Turn the gear around and put it back on.  

An old car rim makes a good pressing socket.  When you go to put it back on just put flywheel outside and gear hoop in the oven or on the woodstove.  A diesel shop with a flywheel grinder should be able to do this for ya. 
Praise The Lord

Firewoodjoe

Never thought of turning it around. Worst case I can do that. I'll order one for a ford tractor. Also says 5550 backhoe. Which is what my mule is. 5550. Thanks.

Cub

The guys at Roland are usually pretty good about digging into the belly of archives for iron mikes. Mike seems to be the guru about them. Ford used the same parts through the 70's 80's and early 90's across many different models. I'm not sure what year your 5550 is. But a 5000 tractor should have the same parts. I'm fairly certain you can change just the ring gear also. If you have a spare parts book as far as I know all the numbers are still good numbers. It's just a matter if the part is still available. A 5310 which is what I have was build out of 6610 tractors. But as I said lots of parts are the same on a 5000 and lots of models in between. 

Firewoodjoe

Ford Tractor Engine Flywheel Ring Gear

Looking at that I have two choices. Should be simple.

chevytaHOE5674

Of those 2 ring gears one is for a diesel one is for a gasser...

Firewoodjoe

I'll count my teeth that will tell the rest of the story.

mike_belben

I counted quite a few missing teeth out in the sticks today boy.  
Praise The Lord

Oliver05262

I resemble that remark. Some of mine get parked by the sink overnight.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

Thank You Sponsors!