iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Who has an electric three phase sawmill?

Started by mometal77, October 06, 2006, 08:21:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mometal77

Just wondering if anyone owns an electric mill.  Am I the only one?  I checked in seach and it didnt come up with anything..
bobby
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Cypress Man

Hi,

I've been sawing for 7yrs. now and I recently sold my 2000WM LT40HDG25.  I bought a new 2006WM LT40SHE25 and love it.  There is no comparison in the production of these two machines.  Should have been electric a long time ago. 
LT70 wide head electric, IC5 Power conveyor, transfer table, Stop and Load Log Deck, Catapiller 360B Telehandler, Cat tl642c Teleloader, Cat TH514 Telehandler, Woodmizer EG400 edger, Logosol PH360 moulder, Extrema 26" Planner, Grizzly 16" dual conveyor resaw, Prentice 285 log loader

Bibbyman

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

logwalker

I am just across the channel from you and I have a 1994 a LT4015E. You don't know we are around because we are so quiet. LW
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

SawDust_Studios

How do you guys know when to quit? ???   

It's break time when the mill runs out of gas..
Making Sawdust on a Woodmizer LT40SHD CAT 51 /WM Twin Blade Edger and WM DH Kiln

mometal77

Everyone around me just has a gas unit.  I did go to campbell river over the last weekend and saw a guy have a nice md unit.  I even saw one guy have one for 13000 not a bad deal.  Nice to see some close guys sawing.
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Norwiscutter

By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher.
Socrates

Gotta tell you I like this quote.

Oh ya, I also have an electric mill.  It cuts good. ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

mike_van

I run 3 phase, 10 hp. A few times I wished for a 15 on it, but it gets the job done.  In 15 years, i've bought one belt.  Once in a great while the contactor in the barn sticks, I have to clean a little rust when it hasn't been used for a while. In all the years, I don't remember the power being out when I needed to saw. Just push that button & make sawdust -  8)   When I first got into this, I had a nice 20 hp I was going to use. We had a really old 4800 volt #6 copper distribution system at the time. One of the company engineers told me that if I dimmed all the lights in the area everytime I started it, I was going to get a lot of BS.  One thing I hate is BS, so I traded the 20 and about 100.00 for a brand new 10 hp.  We've since gone to 23000 V and 336 mcm wire, even on the hottest days, I didn't see a voltage drop. On the old system, my 208 would be 198 on those days.  I also have a dry transformer hooked up, it boosts the 208 to 230.  The planer needed the 230, so I used it for the mill too. I can only run one or the other at the same time, but, i'm a one man show so it's never mattered.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Gustavo

nothing  is comparable to the power of an electric engine

we had replaced   too the advance  (feed) by an 

frecuency control device    you can move from velocities
from 1 metre per minute  to   10 m per minute

there are no limits 

and no noice at all

you can speak      perfectly   

15 hp of an electric engine are very diferent of  15 hp  of gas engine

its apear   like 30 hp 

thanks to the forum for share very value informations.
here i have got good information  and  over all   good friends

Buzz-sawyer

Mike_van
It was nice to hear some about your mill, and see the pics...thanks ;)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Tom

But, when you are in the portable custom sawing business, and electric engine takes a long, long extension chord. :D

mometal77

Some great info so far and I like the picture.
NORWISCUTTER  glad you liked the quote some I have known didnt like my humor. I find google a great place for information even on how too build things.  I had no idea there was such a thing as 2 phase and from two two phase motors you can generate three phase.  The starting amps take a lot and after you get that done you have it made.  A long extention cord indeed.  Someday we wont need extention cords I still think there is other power sources we havent figured out exist or how too transfer from a to b. Imagine no wiring in a car.  I cant wait for the day by then my bones in the davey jones locker will be turned to dust.

"It seemed to me that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include a set of detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilization in which I could live and stay sane." Douglas Adams

Dangerous_Dan

Both my mills are electric.
7.5 hp single phase 220 on my "logosol" copy mill with chainsaw bar and chain.
Motor tag says about 38 amps full load but I've seen the amp meter on the genset say 85+ under load at times and it pegs the meter on startup.
I have a 15 hp 3 phase on the swing mill. Current rarely goes over 25 amps per phase.
Believe it or not I get more time milling per gallon of gas with the 15 hp 3 phase than the 7.5 hp single.
It's all powered by a 30kw Onan genset with Ford 6 cyl gas motor.
I can mill for over an hour on 2 gals of gas running the 15 hp 3 phase motor.
I'm happy with an electric motor since it's quiet, can run in any position and less service per hour of operation. If I can get a 3 phase hook up from the power co I would be in great shape and spending less than running the genset and buying gasoline. But I'm happy with the current setup and glad I didn't go with a small engine buzzing in my face.
DD
First you make it work, then you trick it out!

Greg Cook

I have ended up with a 10KW 3-phase generator from a co-worker needing some cash. It has a four cylinder Wisconsin engine, and runs on gasoline, propane, or natural gas. I've been wondering what it could be used for.  I know that by leaving one leg off the panel, I would have normal single-phase 240, but it's realy bigger than I would need for a back-up.  How big of a mill would this thing run? Probably would be cheaper than seting up a phase converter, wouldn't it? 
"Ain't it GOOD to be alive and be in TENNESSEE!" Charlie Daniels

mometal77

Hello, Dan
I can mill for over an hour on 2 gals of gas running the 15 hp 3 phase motor.
Not bad dan.  Where and how much was the 30 kw set up you have?

Greg,
not a bad deal usually those deals are the best kind on the market 10kw is a nice set up and can run a nice motor,planner ect with long term functions.  A phase converter to buy from md is 2800 buckaroos.  Some go on ebay also I tried buying two on there even called up the guys in the past and emailed but it seemed like sending it would be more of a pain than selling it. You can make one for a price a rotary phase converter with a 200 amp breaker set up which costs and the hook up from the power company.  Its all money really and I think like the set up Dan has is a good one.  Its like having a woodmizer and the planner edger from woodmizer they sell.  Some have a very good set up out there.  Its great if you dont live near 3 phase lines.
Google it greg type in "what a rotary phase converter costs"  or other key words you might have.
bobby

Greg Cook

Thanks for the info, Bobby. Yesterday, while out on the tractor, I decided to sell the generator and go with a diesel sawmill.  Just love the smell of diesel exhaust, and mix it with the aroma of fresh sawdust...might be hard to come in for supper!  Now, if Husky would only make a diesel chainsaw... 8)
And like Tom mentioned, it would be nice not to be tethered to one spot.
"Ain't it GOOD to be alive and be in TENNESSEE!" Charlie Daniels

mometal77

Greg you know some guys sit on other things too think about how to do a project or sell something  :D or figure out how too get an idea.
Its good to make money.  I am not married yet so my bank account always stays the same.  I was looking online and they do make a gas powered drill I find amazing.  Some of the neat toys coming out.  Pretty soon you want even need to saw logs program a robot. 

FiremanEd

Yes, Sir. Got 2 o' em. A LT300 and an LT70. We started with a little diesel engine and I am sooo happy to pay that electric bill every month. Thats the ONE bill I don't mind paying.

We upgraded the original TimberHarvester from a 18HP Diesel to 30 hp electric and it more than doubled the production of the mill.
Full time Firefighter / Paramedic
WoodMizer LT300 as secondary, full time job.
AccuTrac Electric Edger

Thank You Sponsors!