iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

NEW GUY

Started by Tom Posch, December 02, 2018, 06:24:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Posch

Hello all.  I am a new member to this site and new to sawmills.  I am an excavating contractor and have need of rough sawn oak lumber on occasion.  I use it for trailer deck and dump truck side boards.  I have been observing for a little while and decided to introduce myself. 

I've already purchased a mill, I found a Linn on Ebay.  We formed and poured a concrete pad in my yard to place the mill on.  I hope to set it up tomorrow.  I've also been collecting oak stalks for raw material.  We are getting pretty close to our inaugural outing to actually mill some boards.  

I'm trying to have everything on hand for the big day.  I mentioned the chain saws.  I'm going to get a 20 pack of blades to have on hand.  

I just wanted to say hello and tell you there is a lot of helpful information on this site.  I've learned a lot already.  

I'm open to pointers and advice.  

Thanks
Tom

Crossroads

Welcome Tom, I hope you enjoy your new mill. It should bring you years of joy. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

SawyerTed

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

A-z farmer

Welcome Tom from another forestery  forum newbie.
I know you are going to enjoy the milling journey .
We use white oak for everything on our farm from truck bodies to buffalo pens .

Zeke

bandmiller2

Welcome Tom, What part of the country do you live in.? You will likely pay for the mill in short order as oak decking and blocking is needed in your business. Be diligent in your cleaning of logs before milling as bulldozers and excavators will grind grit and pebbles into the bark. Take your time when starting, speed will come on its own schedule. You time is valuable and it may not pay you to sharpen and set your own bands right now, but save the dull ones, Good luck and don't be afraid to ask. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

btulloh

Welcome aboard, Tom.  Good luck with the new mill. Share some pics when you can.
HM126

Tom Posch

Thanks for the kind words.  I'm in central New Jersey.  I have some pictures in my phone of the construction of the pad.  That's not too exciting, but the mill is getting set tomorrow.  I am looking forward to that.  Then I'll figure out how to post some pics.  

Southside

Welcome to the Forum, you will enjoy sawing.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

samandothers

Welcome Tom!

It is a great place to learn!

ellmoe

Welcome and good luck with your mill.
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Tom!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

maple flats

Welcome aboard.
For starters, what will you use to move the logs? Forks on a TLB works well. Or I use an excavator with a thumb, but before it had a thumb I made up a sturdy steel box beam about 42" long and a clevis on each end. To the clevis' I put a set of log tongs. That worked well, but the thumb is faster. For minor moving a Logrite cant hook (click on Logrite in the left sidebar) is the best choice IMHO.
What is your log source? If yard trees you may want a good metal detector, if woods trees, rarely needed.
Most of all, have fun.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

WV Sawmiller

Welcome and good luck. If you have not bought your bands yet I'd suggest 4 degree doublehards for my WM mill if I planned on cutting hard wood like oak. I assume you can get them to fit your mill. Keep us informed.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Tom Posch

My plan is to bring the log to the mill with a backhoe with forks.  I can place it on the mill at that point or if it's a large piece I will crane it on the sawmill with an excavator and a cable.  I stood on my head pouring the pad perfectly level and carefully setting the mill in place.  I don't want to manhandle the log in place and mangle things up.  

I have my eye on a 10 ton crane that I can install on the back of a Freightliner cab & chassis I already own.  I can build a flatbed body behind the crane and run around picking up potential raw material for the mill.  

I have some wood already that came off of a clearing job.  Maybe a half dozen stalks between 24"-36".    

Woodpecker52

One look at that blade brings back memories or sawblade wobbles, blade dishing, loose teeth and fighting rust on blade and 1/4 inch kerf.  Heavy machinery, big diesel engine, flat belts, v-belts, even time when carriage wheels jumped of track and the joys of log wedging blade to a sudden halt. When I got the sawmilling bug again I am so glad I went to a band Mill.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Tom Posch

I appreciate the gracious welcome. 

boonesyard

Welcome and good luck Tom. I too have a construction Co. that reaps the rewards of having a mill around. Trailer decking, truck tip/tops, shoring beams and custom bridging. Not to mention the fun personal stuff. This forum and its members are a wonderful bunch and a massive wealth of knowledge. 
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Grizzly

Quote from: Tom Posch on December 02, 2018, 08:43:55 PMI'm in central New Jersey.

My impression of New Jersey was that it wasn't long enough to have a north, south, and central. anudder education!! :D

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Tom Posch

We're 150 from top to bottom.  We're not California (thankfully), but we're not Rhode Island either.  

SawyerTed

I'm thinking the value of a crane/winch truck is unexplored here!

II 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

OffGrid973

Welcome aboard Tom and good luck sawing.  I am up in Bridgewater which is "North Jersey" for our folks on the forum even though it's located also in central jersey, as anything south of the Raritan River is considered "South Jersey", and yes they root for the Eagles and Flyers :).
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Tom Posch

Most people identify by their Parkway exit.  I'm a 98 guy.   Farmingdale to be specific.  

Sixacresand

Welcome to the Forum, Tom Posch.  it looks like you are ahead of the game with a concrete foundation and support equipment.   The Forum is a great resource.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Tom Posch

I tried with no luck to post a picture of the mill on it's new pad. 

Thank You Sponsors!