iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Madison, Wisconsin

Started by TexasTimbers, February 07, 2007, 08:16:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

I'm not talking about the movie - although it was a great one. I just saw on the news where there was a 20 car pile up there. They showed pictures. It ws nasty.
Man, you never hear about pile-ups down south here when we have snow. The running joke is, whenever we have bad weather like that, practically any license plate you see in the ditch will not be a Texas plate but from up north somewhere. We figure it's because they want to show us how to drive in the stuff, and get frustrated when they have to finally pass us going 5MPH - yeah - that's "5" MPH down the highway.  ;D
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Brad_S.

Pile ups aren't always caused by slick roads, they're often caused by a sudden loss of visibility. The road can be fine and you'll be driving along at a safe speed, but a sudden wind gust will blow the snow and visibility will drop to zero in a heartbeat. It can be a white knuckle moment, that's for sure!  :o A driver has two choices, slow down but stay the course on the assumption the white out will pass in a second or two, or stop until visibility clears. Problems arise when some drivers choose option "A" and others choose option "B" on the same stretch of roadway.  move_it
I have heard of pileups down south and out west when forest fire smoke causes the same scenario. ;)
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

isawlogs

Here ..the ones that end up in the ditch the most have them Florida snow tires on the vehicule . ::)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

JimBuis

I was driving in South Carolina right after a snow storm on a four lane highway.  A less than pleasant SC driver refused to let me pass.  He was driving a 4x4 at 20 mph and decided that he would not let anyone pass him.  I was driving a neighbor lady to the emergency room.  She was pregnant and having trouble.  If I had had a bazooka that day, I'm afraid I would have had to remove that 4x4 from the road.  I ended up driving 20 mph all the way to the hospital because of a southerner who thought he knew best while I was listening to a woman screaming in pain.

Yes, southern drivers are a menace in a snowstorm.  I say that after having lived in South Carolina, Louisiana, Florida, and Texas during some of my weaker moments.

IMHO,
Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

isawlogs

Now you got to understand .. I did not saye they had Florida plates ( tags ) on that there vehicule .... :P
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

TexasTimbers

There are bad drivers everywhere that's for sure. I honestly don't think any of us have the market cornered. . . . me and my over-the-top sense of humor.  ::)

Jim, what does that "IMHO" mean in your post? Sure ain't got the word "Humble" in it.   :D ;)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Woodcarver

I drive the section of interstate where the pile-up occurred occasionally.  In fact I'll be going through there in about 10 days of visit relatives in southern Wisconsin.  Traffic is usually heavy and there's frequent lane changing because of the separation of the two freeways that lies just ahead.  Most of the traffic is usually moving close to 10 mph over the 65 mph speed limit.

That area had an inch or two of light snow yesterday. I don't know if visibility was affected, but there was some snow on the roadway.  My experience driving in that area is that, like freeway driving in general, people don't slow down much in rain or snow and they don't increase the interval between themselves and other vehicles. The highway death toll has been dropping, but I don't think think it's because people's driving habits are improving.   

Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Burlkraft

I was about 15 minutes ahead of that pileup in Madison yesterday. I was driving in the middle of 3 lanes...in 4 wheel drive going about 50 and I was being passed on both sides by people going at least 70.... :o :o :o  In the west bound lanes I saw about 10 different wrecks and I was thinkin' sumpthin' bad is gonna happen, I was east bound. It wasn't that much snow, but the county put salt down and it never did get above zero. The little amount of snow that was there melted and froze again making black ice. You could see the road, but you could also tell it was slippery. There was also a nice 20 mph wind out of the NW that helped to blow some snow across the road helping polish the black ice. There was 3 big pile ups on the beltline, all at least 15 cars...which is the main artery through Madison and the 20 car on the interstate.  :-\  :-\  :-\

If you were an ambulance chaser in Madison yesterday .....you were a busy guy.... ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

JimBuis

Quote from: kevjay on February 07, 2007, 09:11:39 AM
Jim, what does that "IMHO" mean in your post? Sure ain't got the word "Humble" in it.   :D ;)

I beg your pardon, I am always humble. ;D  My wife has been putting knots on my head for 32 years to keep me that way. :D

Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!