iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A few questions..

Started by Adirondack, June 18, 2016, 12:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adirondack

I am sure each question I have is answered in one of the other threads perhaps but despite my reading through a multitude I still haven't the answers. So here is the baseline for my questions. I have been sawing my own lumber for a while now. We own a 130 acre horse farm in upstate NY. I am currently sawing with a Timberking 1600 (2006) which I love, except... with the older model there isn't  hydraulic functions for log turner, log dogs or toe boards or a board return. The newer models are a bit more than what I want to spend, and still do not offer the hydraulic toe boards or board return. I saw by myself 100% of the time, and I am all about being efficient, because lets face it, time is money. I am by no means a professional sawmill, but simply wood for myself and occasionally for friends and neighbors. I was looking at a Norwood LumberPro HD36, which has every single option I want in a mill. Stationary operators station, board return, and all of the hydraulics.. Downside is that they are a kit mill and I don't really want to put it together and be checking for nuts and bolts all over the frame when I do my daily check prior to operation. Second, I like the Woodmizer LT35 HD which is also  in my price range, but it doesn't have stationary operator control option or board return option from what I am able to see when I configure a mill online. Can anyone shed some light onto a possible direction I can go? Does anyone that owns a LumberPro HD36 have any issues with the structural components of the mill, or can you weigh in on this? Thank you all for reading my long winded post, but as you all know, there is no easy answer when it comes to looking at sawmills. The Timberking is still a viable option, just would have to remain the 1600 and if anyone knows if hydraulic toe boards and board return are options which with the design I don't see how board return is an option.
Was Tom Sawyer a sawyer?

fishfighter

If you are handy at welding and using tools, there are some here that had built Hydraulics to the manual mill.

And, welcome a board.

Tom the Sawyer

Adirondack,

Consider moving up to a Timberking B-20.  It will seem quite similar to what you are using but does have simple setworks, hydraulic toe boards, log turner, log dogs and stops.  Those functions evolved over the years, I think the last year it was made was 2009 so some of them aren't that old (mine is a 2007).  They'll be a lot less than buying a new mill, they are very reliable, and you may even find one with a debarker.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Adirondack

Quote from: Tom the Sawyer on June 18, 2016, 01:00:01 PM
Adirondack,

Consider moving up to a Timberking B-20.  It will seem quite similar to what you are using but does have simple setworks, hydraulic toe boards, log turner, log dogs and stops.  Those functions evolved over the years, I think the last year it was made was 2009 so some of them aren't that old (mine is a 2007).  They'll be a lot less than buying a new mill, they are very reliable, and you may even find one with a debarker.

Thank you, Sir! Seems like a very good point and I am not shy to admit sometimes I overthink things. I am very very happy with my TK thus far and all of the staff have been wonderful. I bought the mill used and took it upon myself to go for training, and really know the mill inside and out and that familiarity goes a long way. Thanks again!
Was Tom Sawyer a sawyer?

Adirondack

Is a Norwood LumberPro HD36 worth the money??? Only having a 23 hp worries me, and the fact its bolts and not welded worries me. Just looking for some feedback from current or previous owners.
Was Tom Sawyer a sawyer?

red

Only you can answer that question.  Your mileage may vary. 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Chuck White

Adirondack;  Tell us a little about you, like where abouts are you located besides the Adirondacks, I'm in the Northern foothills of the Adirondacks.

You can update some of your info if you modify your profile a little.

Who knows, we might be neighbors!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Adirondack

Sorry for 33 yrs old I truly try my best not to be too tech savvy. Profile updated.. I work not to far from you Chuck at AMC in Saranac Lake/Lake Placid and live in Saranac Hollow.. Large horse farm and primarily self sustaining. I have a mahindra 5010 gear cab with backhoe, plenty of chainsaws, welding equipment and prior to work in healthcare I was an electrical engineer and hated it. I have a 2006 TK 1600 which I really like except for not liking what it lacks.. As I stated before I cut 100% solo.. Would like to make money on side (one day a week) with my mill. There is certainly a need in my area. I want to stay small but efficient. The manual options on my mill are what make it inefficient. Manual stops, turner and dog.. And no board return. Cut cedar, pine (eastern white and red), poplar, maple and occasionally oak. I need a more efficient one man mill..
Was Tom Sawyer a sawyer?

4x4American

I looked at Norwoods awhile back at the vermont expo and they seemed chintzy to me, just my opinion.  I like Tom's idea about the used B-20.  There's a guy on here Sandsawmill14 who's using one daily to make a living sawing production.  I just seen one on sawmill trader too.  There are good used machines out there.  Let someone else work out the bugs.
Boy, back in my day..

Adirondack

That is my concern is the ruggedness of the HD36 and it only being a 23hp engine.. The B20 is a good idea but still lacks the board return which I'm sure I can fabricate one.. May even try a template version on the 1600.. I can add log turner and log dogs to my 1600 for around $5000, and manual toe boards for tapered logs..
Was Tom Sawyer a sawyer?

Rando

We had to pick up a Norwood for a neighbor and it was assembled by the factory. All we had to do was hook up and drive away.

Chuck White

Thanks for updating, Travis.

We're only around 1¼-1½ hours apart, might be a visit some day.

About the board return, I on occasion will use my band blade to return boards to the front of the mill.  If you try that, just make sure that your blade us disengaged or you will push it off of the band wheels.

You don't live to far away from a TK facility, they may have a hydraulic unit available.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

DDW_OR

Adirondack, another option is to sell your mill then use that $$ to help buy a used TimberKing 2000.
"let the machines do the work"

terrifictimbersllc

Find a used LT40. Better a used diesel super LT40.  Just sharing what I"m sure of.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Adirondack

Thanks everyone keep the suggestions coming! I have a few people considering my mill.. I've seen a couple of B20's on sawmill exchange, they just look best up and driving 12-18 hours just to check out a used mill in someones back yard just didn't seem practical. Driving that far to pick one up from a dealer is a different story. The WM LT35 HD has what I want minus the stationary operators station and board return option. The Norwood LP36HD has everything I want just question the durability and 23hp engine. TK 2000 is perfect but it's quite a bit more than any of the others and no board return.
Was Tom Sawyer a sawyer?

Rickcnc

I have the Norwood HD36 (no hydraulics) and am very please with its operation. The 23 HP engine doesn't have any problem keeping up with the logs I typically cut (12"-20") hardwoods such as Ash, Maple etc.. Granted you have to take you time cutting a 28" slab. I'm considering adding some hydraulics later this summer and the power up/down option for the head.
I suggest you contact Norwood and see if anyone in your are has the mill you looking for and take a look at it. I don't think you will be disappointed in the mill.

Chuck White

My suggestion would be for you and the mrs to attend the Tupper Lake Woodsmens Days next month.

It is going on July 8, 9 & 10.

There, you can see several different brands of mills in operation.

I know you can see a Wood-Mizer LT35 Hydraulic mill there, because a friend of mine about 3 miles from me is picking it up, he bought it at the Wood-Mizer open house in Hannibal.

Haven't decided which day I'll attend yet, but I always wear my Forestry Forum cap when I go to something like that!

red

Also sawmill shootout in Ohio
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Mike@Norwood

Hello Adirondack

We'll be up your way in August (in Boonville)  for the 2016 NYS Woodsmen's field days if you'd like to see our mills in action. Feel free to stop by and say hello. We'll be glad to answer any of your questions.

The 2016 NYS Woodsmen's Field Days will be held on August 19th, 20th and 21st.
Here's a link with more details about the show
http://www.starinfo.com/woodsmen/boonvil1.html

Best regards,

Mike at Norwood

Thank You Sponsors!