iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Joystick Controls

Started by Horselog, February 12, 2016, 10:11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horselog

I'm still deciding whether I'll go with a circle rig or a thin kerf band, but assuming I went with a thin kerf band I'm trying to determine if the joystick controls are worth the extra cost.  I'm leaning towards a Baker unit at this point, but both Baker and WoodMizer get quite a premium for joystick controls.  Does anyone have experience with both joystick and multiple stick controls that can speak to the pros and cons of each? 

I'm looking at a long term operation, with a minimum production of 5 mbf/day.  This would be a full time, year round operation. 
Benjamin Harris
Appalachian Mountains of Virginia
horse_logger@me.com

Horselog

I find it interesting that nobody has commented, especially with the number of views. I'm going to assume this means that almost nobody finds joystick controls to be worth the significant extra cost, and that probably hardly anyone on here has them. 

I've heard that if you do a lot of sawing you can saw faster with joystick, but I'm not sure how much faster and what the time would be to get a return on the investment. I guess I'll have to research elsewhere.
Benjamin Harris
Appalachian Mountains of Virginia
horse_logger@me.com

Kbeitz

When I built my mill I thought about the Joystick for my controls but I first went with toggle control
and now drum switch controls. I don't know how the joysticks work on other mills but the way I see
it is how do you keep from bumping it up when in a cut? Does it have lockout control?
I keep my two controls apart. There is no way I would want to bump up or down while in a cut.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

footer

my guess is, there hasn't been anyone that has used them that can offer advice, or else there would be more comments. Everyone here seems more than willing to offer advice if they have any to give. Give it some time. I don't think everyone is on here every day. I have no experience with joystick controls on a sawmill, but on a skid steer loader, I would say, they are far superior. Once you get used to them, you almost don't even think about running the machine. It just goes and does where you think you want it to go and do.  Also, I have heard comments about ergonomics, where the they are less likely to cause carpel tunnel, or other repetitive motion injuries.

york

Hi,i have joystick on the chain turner and both log dogs-you need joystick control or you will hate yourself-both my tractors have and the backhoe too.....
Albert

drobertson

I have some input, but not in the mode to get yelled at,,I know of some who have went the joystick route, others do to, they aren't talking mainly because,,,,, well connect the dots.  The one I witnessed first hand  at this past years shoot out was working flawlessly, so, if the funds are there to purchase this upper end option and mill, it will work just fine.  Not sure what circle mill you have in mind, but the chances are to hit this number even with one of these mill, they will have the joysticks too, and they are costly as well, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

280 rem

as far as band mills go, I would say that someone running joysticks would have a slight speed advantage and would enjoy the feature overall. I know the price I was told for adding them and it would take a fairly long while to recoup that expense. On the other side of that, you just added a lot of complicated stuff and when that gives you trouble you may be down a day or two just finding the problem. There is a lot to be said for the simplicity of a lever operating a hydraulic value, the durability and should be simple to find a problem when one occurs, would be a great advantage over joysticks, in my opinion. Ive seen guys sawing a lot of wood fast using levers, just what ya get use to operating really, I guess.
We saw walnut lumber for the same reason Willie Sutton said he robbed banks, "because that's where the money is"

Select 4221E, baker edger, cat 908 loader, Jd 548E, timberjack 230d, hood 7000 loader.

Magicman

Quote from: drobertson on February 16, 2016, 11:28:47 AMI have some input, but not in the mode to get yelled at,,I know of some who have went the joystick route, others do to, they aren't talking mainly because,,,,, well connect the dots.
I guess that I am confused, but what does that mean??   smiley_headscratch
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

MartyParsons

Hello,
  The higher production mills do use joysticks. I am not sure what exactly you are asking. The question also stated there is a premium cost to joysticks. Yes the higher production mills do have a cost associated but I am not sure it is because of the joy sticks. They do have a life cycle as do drum switches ( tho other control WM uses to control the saw.) The replacement cost of a joystick assembly is about $700 + compared to a drum switch at $ 70.00. But the joystick has all the controls for the blade guide arm, debarker, hydraulics and the list goes on. I am going to guess the life cycle of a joystick control would be 3000 to 5000 hours.
   I just had a joystick control brought in for repair, some how the cable got cut. I disassembled the assembly on my desk soldered the wires back together and put it back into operation.  I will check and see if I have a picture.
  I do like the joystick controls on the high production mills. The controls are progressive the more you move it on one direction the faster the function will move and then when you want it to change speed you move the control either way to decrease or increase speed.
  I hope this answers your question.

Thanks
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Banjo picker

Some functions need a joy stick control, others don't.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Cedarman

We have joy stick controls on our Baker end dogging scragg.  We ran 300 to 500   5" to 10" x 8' logs per day. One time we sawed 90  6" logs in 50 minutes into 4 x 4.  Saw 2 faces, bring log back, rotate 90 degrees, saw 2 faces, release log, return carriage, drop log into centering devices, end dog log, repeat. Try doing this without joysticks. For 10 years it ran 30 some hours per week.  In the last 8 years about 1/2 that as our markets have changed.  We have replaced a couple joy sticks.
The control you have forward and reverse is great.  Nothing but good to say for joysticks. Have them on our Cat skid steers.  Work great.
If you want more production , go with joy sticks.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!