iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

San Diego

Started by moosehunter, October 01, 2010, 11:51:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moosehunter

My lovely bride and I are going to San Diego in the spring for a conference. Conf. is over Saturday, we don't fly home till Monday. My first thought is to rent a full dress Harley and go for a ride on Sunday.
If we ride, any suggestions on where to go/ what to see?
If we don't rent a bike, any suggestions about what to do?
We are going to see the USS NIMITZ (sp) on Saturday.
Maybe laying on the beach all day Sunday will be the plan ;D As long as greenpeace doesn't keep rolling me back in the water!

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

ibseeker

MH,
One Sunday in San Diego...there are a couple of nice rides either along the coast or in the Laguna and Palomar Mtn areas. The coast in the spring will be cool and possibly overcast while the mountains are just cool and green. There's hours of nice riding in the mountains, starting at the border and working north to the county line. Nice 2 lane roads without a lot of traffic, although the forests aren't as pretty as some others that I've seen.
If you decide not to rent the Harley, then the San Diego Zoo or Wild Animal Park both offer a full days entertainment. I like the Zoo the best because of the foliage. I think it's amazing and I usually spend most of the time looking at the variety and phenomal growth. I haven't been to the Wild Animal Park in 20 years so I can't say much about it. Laying on the beach in the spring won't be too attractive since the cold wind and overcast might be a bit too much. If you're still interested in the beach and want to surf, let me know and I'll hook you up with a surfboard, wetsuit and some instruction. I'll sit on the beach and watch, heck I might even get in the water with you.
The Fish Market is right next to the Nimitz, it has good seafood and nice on the bay dining. Old Town has it's appeal but it wouldn't be at the top of my list. If you have the time and interest the Cabrillo Lighthouse has spetacular views but the whales will not be migrating that time of year. Interested in Mexico? It's not as dangerous as the media makes it out to be. I still go into Baja but I'm usually heading south to the fishing camps. 

Don't worry about Greenpeace, they have their hands full with the natives, let alone offending the tourists! 
Chuck
worn out poulan, Stihl 250SC, old machete and a bag of clues with a hole in the bottom

moosehunter

I coulda swore I responded to this two days ago. Oh, well,....

ibseeker,
The wet suit and board are not possibilities. Not a chance. :o
The Mrs. really likes the zoo so that is a very good recommendation. We'll try to get to the Fish Market for dinner, that sounds nice.
Thanks for the info.

mh

ibseeker

You're welcome and I hope you enjoy the day in San Diego. I haven't been to the Zoo in a couple of years but one thing to keep in mind is the hills. There are a couple that will wear you out. The Sky Tram is a nice option.
Chuck
worn out poulan, Stihl 250SC, old machete and a bag of clues with a hole in the bottom

Ron Wenrich

I'm heading out to San Diego in March 4, 2011.  I'll only be there for a Friday night, then heading to Mexico on board a ship.  Is that the time you'll be there?

I was in SD about 4-5 years ago.  My wife had a conference and I didn't have any way of getting around.  I did make it to Tijuana.  I believe you need a passport to get back into the US.  A gang of us went down by tour bus.  It was run by an old hippie who took us to a safe area of town.  He said 7 blocks, and don't stray.  A good time, and beer's cheap. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

moosehunter

We'll be there a few days after you Ron.

moosehunter

The trip to San Diego went well. The Zoo is a great way to spend a day. Most of the 5 days we spent there we were stuck inside of the Hotel Del Coronado. http://www.hoteldel.com/   
It was horrible  ;)
The weather was not great for being outside anyway.
If you are ever in San Diego and want to experience GREAT customer service the way it used to be, the Del is it. You of course have to pay for that level of service!

mh

sawguy21

We were there just after new years for a day, spent most of it dealing with traffic so we didn't see a lot. Had a great lunch at a bistro in La Jolla then watched a colony of sea lions. The water front is crowded but a fascinating place.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ibseeker

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit to San Diego. Sorry about the weather, that just doesn't seem right. Next time come in January that's when we have some really nice weather. The Del is a beautiful hotel, some of the ballrooms are amazing. As kids, we used to hitchhike up the Strand and play in the game rooms. I'm curious about the sea lions, wasn't at the Children's Pool was it? The coast along the cliffs is really scenic, especially if the surf is up.
Anyways, if either of you come back and have more time, please give me a shout and we'll meet up. I'd love to meet some FF'ers and show you around.
Chuck

Thank You Sponsors!