iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Replacing winch line

Started by Woodboogah, September 20, 2013, 06:14:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodboogah

That is my project for today.  It is on a gearmatic 19.  The way the line is on there now does not seem correct.  The working end is under two wraps in the drum and I have to cut it off.  I tried to pull it out yesterday but the way its wraped it just tightens and sinches the working end and ended up with a snapped cable, it was junk anyways so not a real big deal.  I can see that it looks like a hole that goes straight through the drum then a side hole to keep the end in.  Is how its on there now correct (if I even described it to make sense)? And if not

how does the line get fed in these holes.  It is not described in the manual.  Thanks in advance. 
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

rfm7fxfox

We have the same winch. The cable goes through that hole loops around and comes back out. There is supposed to be a wedge that goes in the hole in the drum that holds the cable in. Hard to explain but very simple to do. Looks like you're missing the wedge.
Dolmar 7900, Ported Dolmar 7910, Ported Johnsered 2172, J-Red 2186, Ported Husky 385, Ported J-Red 2258,Tree Farmer C5D,Timberjack 460 D.A. Grapple, 2015 KMC 2500 Grapple Track Skidder and 2005 Peterbilt 379 Logtruck

rfm7fxfox

basically you feed the cable through the drum, make a U and feed it back through. Put the wedge inside the "U" and pull on the long end of the cable and it tightens on the wedge inside the drum. I can try and get a picture of ours but if you're missing the wedge it won't hold the proper way. That's probably why its been installed the way it is.
Dolmar 7900, Ported Dolmar 7910, Ported Johnsered 2172, J-Red 2186, Ported Husky 385, Ported J-Red 2258,Tree Farmer C5D,Timberjack 460 D.A. Grapple, 2015 KMC 2500 Grapple Track Skidder and 2005 Peterbilt 379 Logtruck

nk14zp

Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

Woodboogah

I got the remaining cable out.  There was a "u" shaped wedge in there that looks like someone made.  Is that what the wedge is supposed to look like?  Thanks for all the replies   

treeslayer2003

yep' what fox said. my wedge looked more like triangle. you could cut one out of plate if you didn't have it. of all the winches, this system is the best imo. only thing about a clark winch I don't like is it don't have that setup.

Atlantic Trader

I replaceed mine recently and had the same set up they passed the cable through and back on itself, then hammered in the wedge.

I had my cable built with end nobs on both ends, my gearmatic 119 winch drum had a slot for and end nob to fit into on its edge and twists in to lock into position.

I did away with the wedge i try to never spool out the cable to the very end?

HiTech

The wedge or "Hondu" as they are called come in two sizes. One to anchor cable 5/8" and down and one to anchor cable 11/16" and up. They are kind of wedge shaped with a rounded end and have a slot that the cable fits in. Wherever you buy logging supplies will have these or parts for your winch will have these.

Woodboogah

I ordered one Friday Morning.  The place where I bought the cable didnt have one in stock.  Figure I might as put it back right while its off.

Thank You Sponsors!