iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jonsered

Started by Maine logger88, April 06, 2018, 12:03:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maine logger88

Anyone know when jonsered will be phased out? I just recently heard about this. Too bad I always liked jonsered saws 
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

ButchC

Dunno? I did notice that the major retailer of them around these parts (TSC) has switched to Husqvarna and wondered what was going on.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

mike_belben

Im not sure that there was a lot of point to keeping them separate.  In my experience a jonsky is just a red husqvarna.  I didnt get the impression that there was much of a higher end to it either, like say toyota/lexus.  So why buy a jonsered if its just a husky.  

Are there any models in production that suggest otherwise?  I havent worked on all of them. 
Praise The Lord

Pclem

I always was partial to jonsereds before they changed with emissions. I bought a 2156 and a 2171 both with heated handles knowing they were going to change. I do like the straight top handle vs husky for a felling sight. There's just something about the look and feel that I always appreciated. I will miss them if they go
Dyna SC16. powersplit. supersplitter. firewood kilns.bobcat T190. ford 4000 with forwarding trailer. a bunch of saws, and a question on my sanity for walking away from a steady paycheck

Caloren

First time I ever saw a Jonsered was a couple years ago when TSC changed to them from Husky, now they are switching back? Always wondered why they changed in the first place.
Stihl MS 170, Stihl MS 310, Stihl 028 AV Super, and half a dozen other no-accounts! Cat D4 D.

Maine logger88

Quote from: mike_belben on April 06, 2018, 10:13:16 AM
Im not sure that there was a lot of point to keeping them separate.  In my experience a jonsky is just a red husqvarna.  I didnt get the impression that there was much of a higher end to it either, like say toyota/lexus.  So why buy a jonsered if its just a husky.  

Are there any models in production that suggest otherwise?  I havent worked on all of them.
Yeah I mean it's not that big of a deal I don't mind husky's but I did always like the jonsered handlebar a little better and I always liked the looks of the red and black saws. 

celliott

Most models are being replaced, the brand name is switching to red max. So you can still get like a 2188 or 2172, it'll just be a redmax 2188, with stickers to match. 
I don't know which ones will carry over though.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Maine logger88

I wonder what the motive is of doing that? I can't imagine taking a fairly well know brand and turning it into a relatively unknown brand l. Doesn't make sense to me I guess 

DelawhereJoe

Tractor Supply cut Jonsered because most people don't know who or what they are, so theres sales suffered. Low sales equal time to change companies to something that will sell. There supplier purchased all the unsold saws back at cost. I was talking to a store manager one day and thats what they told me.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Maine logger88

Around here most everyone knows about jonsered probably a regional thing

mike_belben

I always loved my 2155 until it burned up and i discovered it was just a husky 350.  Have a box full of those too now. 
Praise The Lord

Skeans1

Jonsered left out here in the 80's and even then you didn't really see them, it's pretty much either husky or stihl

knuckledragger

One of my favorite fraunk-n-Steen saws is the 266/630. I've put several of these two saws together. In my opinion the Jonsered has a racier look about it. I suppose husqvarna sells a substantial amount more units than does Jonsered. Also, the new saw technology e.g. fuel injection may have had bearing on the decision. Hate to see such reputable name go. A local saw dealer has been selling redmax saws. I asked him what he thought about the redmax . He seems to think they will be a popular saw eventually.

sawguy21

Jonsereds is not well known here, the previous distributor put little effort in marketing them in the west although they are very popular in eastern Canada. I doubt the wisdom of rebadging them as Redmax, a name hardly known to others than  professional landscapers, but we will have to see if it works.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

barbender

Jonsered was a very popular saw here in years past, but with mechanization really cutting the number of saws in the woods, and some distributor issues, it looks like their days are numbered. Our local fleet store used to just carry Jonsered saws, now they have both Husky and Stihl and the Jonsereds are pushed off in a corner.
Too many irons in the fire

knuckledragger

I believe you summed it all up barbender. Husqvarna and Stihl are out there and Jonsereds are pushed off in the corner. Well, I got a corner for them.

jocco

Pretty much as we speak. What is in the pipeline is it. Yes TSC went back to Husky. There is going to be red max (same distributors) and they will have 2172 2188 2253 2255 and a few smaller home owner ones. No 2258/2260. Red max will have there large landscape line up. There is supposed to be a few Jonsered small saws for box stores but no dealers (much like Poulan). Apparently after the Tilton situation they put a big push on with TSC and also introduced mowers and snow blowers but sales did not meet the goals. Red max had a much bigger share of landscape equipment market.
You may check out but you will never leave

knuckledragger

The local dealer has been very pleased with his redmax sales. I don't know the # on the redmax. He tells me it's a575 just red and black. The price is a third less than it's Husq counterpart. I'm thinking bout buying one just to see what all the fuss is about.

HolmenTree

Jonsereds heydays in the North American market was all of the 1970's into the 1980's when Electrolux partnered them up with Partner around 1980 and 1982 with the 630/162Husky.

1970's the Tilton family established Jonsereds all the way from the eastern seaboard right up to the Rocky mountains.
Early '70s a fellow named Wendell Walker in Oregon had a high ranking job with Omark Oregon and saw the opportunity to start up a Jonsereds distributorship in the PNW.
Another fellow who was also a ex Omark employee from the 1960's named Ray Carlton outfitted Jonsereds with his saw chain right across North America.
Jonsereds had a good run starting wayback in 1949.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

knuckledragger

See, that's why I pay attention to your posts holmantree. You are full of good information. That said, do you have an opinion on the redmax saw yet? I'm really thinking bout buying one. The one I looked at yesterday is a $500 saw and looks like a 575 husq which is double that in price. Really the only thing holding me back is I got to many saws as it is, plus explaining to my wife why I spent $500 on a saw I'm just trying out for fun.

HolmenTree

Knuckledragger, I can't comment on the Redmax as I have no experience with them.
Yes I had the same problem with too many saws. I pretty well culled the herd of all my older saws by selling them off.
I'm looking towards the future with the up and coming new models to buy.
But I do have a soft spot in my heart for this old Jonsereds 80 from the 1970's.
Found these pics of a 80 on Facebook some young guys restored.
They didn't get the silver color scheme quite right on the sprocket cover , no Jonsereds 80 decal and they mistakenly put a 621 air filter cover on it.
But nevertheless a great saw from days gone by.

woodsdog2015

That is a beautiful looking saw.
I'd rather be in the woods.
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

ButchC

Quote from: jocco on April 08, 2018, 08:54:27 AM
Pretty much as we speak. What is in the pipeline is it. Yes TSC went back to Husky. There is going to be red max (same distributors) and they will have 2172 2188 2253 2255 and a few smaller home owner ones. No 2258/2260. Red max will have there large landscape line up. There is supposed to be a few Jonsered small saws for box stores but no dealers (much like Poulan). Apparently after the Tilton situation they put a big push on with TSC and also introduced mowers and snow blowers but sales did not meet the goals. Red max had a much bigger share of landscape equipment market.
Not sure how they are affected nationally but TSC is systematically being put in a world of hurt  by Rural King in our part of the country. Anywhere they put up a store the local TSC turns into a ghost town.  RK stocks a LOT of Echo, a lot of Poulan and a little bit of Husqvarna.  TSC has had several decent home owner saw lines over the years but screws the deal up every time and they will screw this one up too.   When they dropped the Cub Cadet saws 10 years ago and liquidated all the inventory I bought a 60 CC saw for  $150 and flipped it on Ebay and made a quick $150  I was hoping to get a 2166 for $50, :D
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

HolmenTree

Found some more photos of a Jonsereds beauty.
XF 110cc introduced in 1960, discontinued in 1969.
This one's only 1of 5 in the U.S. and it runs.

wild262

That one there makes my mouth water Holmen. :laugh:

Thank You Sponsors!