iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer guide arm shield breaking

Started by irvi00, December 07, 2017, 06:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irvi00

Anyone else experience this? This is the shield that is attached to both ends of the movable guide arm. It cups under to shield the blade on the idle side. The factory weld broke and has been welded back twice. I'm ready to cut the shield off.

Ga Mtn Man

Yep, been there.  You've got to make sure you get a good weld fillet on the back side of the bracket to keep it from vibrating.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

irvi00

My guy did that last time. But I could tell the shake was going to take it out again. Gonna cut that sucker off tommorow and not worry with it anymore. Just glad to know I wasnt the only one to see it.

drobertson

Can't say I've seen it,, seen more than my share of vibration issues, but not that one.  My best guess is the material, higher carbon,  welded and then it cracks.  Lots of components for all kinds of machinery are made of recycled materials. If these are not QC'd, during the billeting  process, well, this is what you might get, high carbon steel has strength, but if not handled properly it can become very brittle. Just a guess, my suggestion would be to pull it off, heat it to a low cherry, then weld it back then, either pack it in sand or draw it back in the oven at 400°  might as well throw a tater in while your are working on it,  ;D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Peter Drouin

Cut mine off, Good now. :D :D :D
Then some of the tin shields cracked too they're gone. :D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Chuck White

My mill had the blade guide shield "off"  (due to a mod) when I bought the mill, and I had it welded back on, no issues since!   ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Peter Drouin on December 07, 2017, 08:28:34 PM

What have you got left? 2 tires and a blade?  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

irvi00

Quote from: Peter Drouin on December 07, 2017, 08:28:34 PM

Its history tommorrow morning. I grew up walking around a 0frick and miner edger without gaurds. Made it this long, I figure one less shield wont hurt. I still use that old miner.

Peter Drouin

almost Mr goat, :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

irvi00

Kbeitz

You need a counter weight to take up the harmonics of the vibrations.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

petefrom bearswamp

Most of my mills tin is stored in my pole barn
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Jim_Rogers

You might consider solving the vibration issue.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Kbeitz on December 08, 2017, 08:18:02 AM

Where would you hang that? :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

irvi00

Dave Shepard

I Haven't had to remove anything but the flapper on the muffler, so far. DanG thing would rattle at idle and drive me crazy.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Kbeitz

Quote from: Peter Drouin on December 08, 2017, 07:27:16 PM
Quote from: Kbeitz on December 08, 2017, 08:18:02 AM

Where would you hang that? :D :D :D :D :D

I would start with a strong magnet.
Just stick it on and watch your vibrations.
Move it around to find the magic spot.
I do this with my boring bar on my metal lathe to stop chatter.

Interesting ...

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/sound/Lesson-4/Fundamental-Frequency-and-Harmonics
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on December 08, 2017, 03:22:51 PM
You might consider solving the vibration issue.

Jim Rogers
I too am wondering why it is vibrating and where it is coming from?  Are you running Wood-Mizer B57 belts?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ladylake

Seems like most engines vibrate plenty at idle, not so bad when cutting.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

isawlogs

Have had to weld mine also a few times. Don't worry about it, keep sawing. If you're not sawing you sure aren't breakin' anything.  ;D ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

terrifictimbersllc

My blade covers make a lot of  noise when idling.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

irvi00

Its a lt50 electric. I dont really experience any vibration while sawing. The shield in question is quite heavy to only be attached in two very small points. No mill will be perfectly vibration free. But as I said earlier, the problem is solved.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I get very little vibration when sawing or when idling.
Most of the vibrating concussion comes when I turn a big cant.

A mill wood probably have more vibration damage if it sets on a concrete slab I would thing.

Peter Drouin

How can you tell, your mill doesn't run much Mr goat?  :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Peter Drouin on December 09, 2017, 07:07:37 PM
How can you tell, your mill doesn't run much Mr goat?  :D :D :D

......and no broken welds.  :D :D :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!