iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberjack 230 JD 440 Info

Started by Bucksaw, July 12, 2018, 09:13:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucksaw

Hi, I am new to skidders and need to know what to look for on a Timberjack 230 and a 440 JD. The 440 is a A I think. The 230 is unknown year/model,possibly a'79 D. It comes with 4 spare planetaries,transmission,transfer case, hydraulic pump, bell housing and starter. It will be used on my own bush lot and not commercially.  

mike_belben

I dont have the info youre after but thats some good lookin iron
Praise The Lord

Puffergas

In regards to that nice timber jack, if it has an Eaton winch remove top oil fill plug and see if the $1000 brass gear is razor sharp. It wants to look like a gear.

Front cradle bushings, the blade should pick the front off the ground and you might get an idea how the front pins are.

Wow, that looks nice.
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Bucksaw

Quote from: Puffergas on July 12, 2018, 12:48:53 PM
In regards to that nice timber jack, if it has an Eaton winch remove top oil fill plug and see if the $1000 brass gear is razor sharp. It wants to look like a gear.

Front cradle bushings, the blade should pick the front off the ground and you might get an idea how the front line are.

Wow, that looks nice.
It has a Hercules winch. 

Maine logger88

Eaton and Hercules are the same winch so like puffergas said check the brass gear. That machine has Rockwell rears and the big cab my guess would be 75 ish vintage. 
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Bucksaw

thecfarm

Those tires look good. And those chains even better!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

BargeMonkey

I'm not going to try and sell you either way, that is a nice looking jack. Honestly for parts the Jack's for the most part are easier, certain transmission parts for 440C/D are obsolete. All depends on price. 

Satamax

And some whinch parts too, as i have read here. And i have read also, that they are tippy. 

I would love a 440, because i love the looks. But, in the mountains, where i live. It wouldn't be easy. 
There is another thing i have read, is hat the timberjacks are easier to get in and out than the 440. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

dnash

Do you have pics or info on the 440?
JD 440C
JD 640D
Timberjack 205HR
JD 329E skidsteer
JD CT322 skidsteer

Bucksaw

BargeMonkey

Quote from: Satamax on July 15, 2018, 02:29:54 AM
And some whinch parts too, as i have read here. And i have read also, that they are tippy.

I would love a 440, because i love the looks. But, in the mountains, where i live. It wouldn't be easy.
There is another thing i have read, is hat the timberjacks are easier to get in and out than the 440.
😂😂😂 The cure for the winch problems is a few days in the shop and a 4000S winch off a dozer, next time mine acts up it's getting converted. They are tippy but they FIT in small spots, mines 8'2" wide with 18.4 tires, uses 5-8gal of fuel a day. 

Satamax

Bargemonkey, i was just passing along the info i gathered here.  ;D

Would you feel safe with your 440 there? 

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

snowstorm

the answer would be no. nice picture i flew over that 2 months ago

teakwood

Quote from: Satamax on July 15, 2018, 02:29:54 AM

You can't own a timberjack where you live Satamax! We have noise regulations in Europe!! 
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Maine372

not all the TJs are loud. some came with ford gas jobs. some came with perkins. later ones came with cummins. theres even one in maine that had a deere motor transplanted into it! not mine but its for sale on FB if anyone is interested.

Satamax

Teakwood, i have a GM 6-71 in my genset, so a little 3-53 wouldn't bother me much! :D 

Skeans1

We had a long a frame 440 grapple skidder that took care of the tippy issues and most of our ground is broke up like that.

Bucksaw

tacks Y

Bucksaw, The JD looks like a 440 not A, B, C model. Blade looks 440, side covers on engine newer? Roll cage not C.

Bucksaw

Quote from: tacks Y on July 17, 2018, 09:27:54 PM
Bucksaw, The JD looks like a 440 not A, B, C model. Blade looks 440, side covers on engine newer? Roll cage not C.
I have the engine serial number but only a partial frame s/n. I was thinking a 440 but do not know enough about the differences in the models to say for sure. 

Maine logger88

Looks like a 440A unless it's a original 440 converted to 2 stick shifter. And it's not new enough to be a b cause it has the old style hubs

Bucksaw

Going to definitely pass on this little 440. It's had a very hard life. Lots of bubble gum welds,cracks, bends and leaks. Center pins are badly worn as are the steering pivot pins. Owner said he is firm at $20,000 because he had the engine rebuilt and a few other things done for $10,000. 

tacks Y

Good move on the pass. Take some talking to get that kind of money. Mine was tight all around and I was happy at 11k. Mine was a late 60s A and that is a older model blade.

78NHTFY

Agree on the pass.  Gave 11k for mine; rebuilt hydraulic cyl's; brakes; steering; installed new hyd cooler; and some other stuff so now have 13.5k into it including paint.  With the hours I'll put on it, it should last me my lifetime.  Here's a pic, which I've posted recently.  All the best, Rob.

If you have time, you win....

Bucksaw

Quote from: 78NHTFY on July 18, 2018, 10:10:30 PM
Agree on the pass.  Gave 11k for mine; rebuilt hydraulic cyl's; brakes; steering; installed new hyd cooler; and some other stuff so now have 13.5k into it including paint.  With the hours I'll put on it, it should last me my lifetime.  Here's a pic, which I've posted recently.  All the best, Rob.

THAT is what I'm looking for. Nice one. 

Neilo

The timberjack 230 is about 1974

Bucksaw

Quote from: Neilo on July 19, 2018, 05:39:39 PM
The timberjack 230 is about 1974
Thanks. Good to know. The current owners thought a '79, but wasn't sure. Are Rockwell planetaries an issue?

Maine logger88

No Eaton's are bigger but the Rockwell's are fine. I have yet to break a rear end on my 225 and I use it pretty steady and load it heavy

Bucksaw

The TJ owner decided not to sell. The search continues. 

Thank You Sponsors!