iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawstop and Unifence

Started by firefighter ontheside, November 05, 2018, 05:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

Sawstop only makes 10" saws.  Mine is 3hp.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

samandothers

Firefighter how is it going with the new saw?  

Did you get one the dust collection attachments for the top side of the saw?

Did you get the 52" or 36" fence?

Been eye balling one for a while.  They have not had a price increase in about 10 years.  Prices going up 2/1.

firefighter ontheside

I'm loving the saw.  No dust collection for the top of the saw for me.  Im usingnthe riving knife, but I won't use anything else on top.  I got the 36" fence because my shop is only 12' wide.  I rip a lot of 8' long material and so I have to have my saw oriented for that.  I heard the price was going to go up.  You better jump on it!  It's a great saw.  I've been ripping a  lot of 6/4 white oak and it's effortless with the 3hp and the Freud industrial rip blade I put on it.  You will not be disappointed.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

tmbrcruiser

I just purchased a Saw Stop have it together but need to have it connected to the dust system and electric. Looks like a well built saw, can't wait to use it.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

samandothers

Thanks for feedback. I have not heard anything bad about them. 

I understand the dado requires a unique brake and you can't run molding heads but I'd use a router for those or may keep my old saw for the dado head.

I was looking at a local Woodcrafters today.  The price is the same as on line but no shipping costs from Woodcrafters.  They mentioned the price increase.  Later while on the SawStop website and texting with one of the customer service folk I asked about the price increase.  It will be $150 for the 3hp Professional saw.  Each of the bases will go up $50 and each of the topside dust collectors will go up $50.  I believe the brake will go up $10.

Yeah could be a thing for me.

firefighter ontheside

Yes, you have to buy the brake made for dado sets.  The brake is bigger to be able to reach the 8" blade of the dado and it's wider to accommodate the width of a dado set.  I used my dado brake for the first time a few days ago.  Pretty easy to swap out.  You have to set the distance between the brake and blade to the appropriate distance.  Something like 3/32.  I researched many options for getting my saw.  When you factor in price, tax and shipping the total for the saw comes out almost the same no matter where you get it.  No tax online, but then you pay shipping or a "handling" fee.  I decided to get it from a small business in the St. Louis area instead of supporting big business.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

alan gage

The dado brake will also allow you to run 7 1/4" blades. I wouldn't count on it saving your finger (distance from blade to brake is quite large) but it will at least allow the machine to run with the small blade.

I used this when ripping cedar strips for canoes. When you're cutting 3/16" strips it hurts to lose 1/8" to the blade with every cut. The 7 1/4" blades are more like 1/16"

Alan

Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

samandothers

Thanks guys! Great feedback.

alan gage

Quote from: alan gage on January 18, 2019, 09:13:57 AM
The dado brake will also allow you to run 7 1/4" blades. I wouldn't count on it saving your finger (distance from blade to brake is quite large) but it will at least allow the machine to run with the small blade.

Alan
I should add a qualifier that it worked on my machine with my 7 1/4" blades (nothing special, just off the shelf cheap hardware blades). When I did some research online before trying it I found a couple other guys who had tried it and could not get it to work.
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

WDH

I am a believer.  I have had my 1.75 hp Sawstop for about 7 or 8 yeas and it has operated flawlessly.  Knock on wood, I have not tripped a brake yet.  If I am cutting treated lumber, I always use the bypass mode. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!