iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skeans1

Quote from: quilbilly on April 15, 2018, 12:42:15 PM
Hermann has moved to %100 shovel logging now using madill 3800's
Wonder how long till they dig out the old Washington Buncher to hang off a line.

Ron Scott

The mainliner's access with its pup is difficult across the hilly terrain to the timber landing and decking area of the logging job in back so the forwarder operator loads the unhooked pup on the county road side.

The loaded woodhauler comes out of the logging area to hook up its pup on the county road side for a full load of logs to be taken to a down state sawmill.  

~Ron

Ron Scott

Aspen clearcut on north side of one of my deer blinds. December 2018
John Deere 1010 forwarder works on aspen clearcut on east side of my deer blind. December 2018. A large doe was taken here just before the cutting began.

~Ron

g_man

Should be really good hunting when those root sprouts spring up. Looks good !!

gg

mike_belben

Agreed.  Now that the acorns and grasses are going,  deer all over my tiny woods eating bud tips and sprouts. 
Praise The Lord

Skeans1

The days of change are here less guys on the ground especially setting chokers, other then the Tigercat machines all the other stuff is built in SW Washington.
https://youtu.be/gVgCaKomkYo

gaproperty

I do some small scale logging with my KUBOTA L4740 tractor, a logging winch, logging trailer and sometimes even my atv. Here is a quick video.  My small scale logging harvest methods.
Ray
lostcaper.com
youtube.com/c/LostCaper

Ron Scott

The 1010 John Deere forwarder operator loads aspen pulpwood and sawlogs from the aspen clearcut and mats the aspen slash to prevent rutting over the wet soil as he works out to the landing and decking area in a nearby corn field.

~Ron

coxy

Ron does that get replanted or does it just come back through nature if nature about how long before it will be cut again    

Ron Scott

It will all be natural regeneration to mostly aspen and will be harvested in another 60-80 years.
~Ron

thecfarm

I cut one aspen tree here and another 100 comes back.  :o
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Scott

Great habitat for deer and ruffed grouse. fudd-smiley
~Ron

Resonator

The white bark Poplar (part of the Aspen tree group) in my area will send hundreds of "clone" sprouts up from the roots around the stump, and grow like a weed. You would have to push the tree over, and uproot the stump, to prevent regrowth. I clear cut a small Poplar patch on my land four years ago, and the saplings are already at least 8' - 10' tall. 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

thecfarm

On a small scale,10 trees,I cut a bowl into the stumps of the aspen trees. I fill the bowl full of rock salt and water. I keep a bucket of salt by the stumps and carry water as needed. I keep the stump filled up with whatever is needed. I check them weekly. Works on beech too. Deer like the salt too. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mike_belben

Water the salt with vinegar and youll really kill em. 
Praise The Lord

thecfarm

Never heard of vinegar. Will the deer like it. :D :D :D :D

barbender

😂😂😂 There are so many aspen sprouts most areas around here, I don't know how you would kill them off other than round up. Or, like the Forest Service had us do on one timber sale- thin the Aspen so there is room for shade tolerant hardwoods to come up underneath, and let the aspen grow old and die. It won't regen underneath itself because it is very shade intolerant. I'm curious to see how that one turns out. I wonder sometimes if the reason that WI and MI have so many more hardwoods than MN,  is because those states got logged first. Maybe came up and aspen, it got old and died and succesional hardwoods took over. Whereas in MN, once things grew back to aspen, there was a market for it- so we cut it down. Then it grew back to Aspen, and we cut it down. Then it...you see where I'm going with this😁
Too many irons in the fire

Resonator

In Wisconsin the paper industry made Poplar very popular. 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

nativewolf

Quote from: Resonator on January 06, 2019, 09:54:58 PM
The white bark Poplar (part of the Aspen tree group) in my area will send hundreds of "clone" sprouts up from the roots around the stump, and grow like a weed. You would have to push the tree over, and uproot the stump, to prevent regrowth. I clear cut a small Poplar patch on my land four years ago, and the saplings are already at least 8' - 10' tall.
we had stump sprouts on Yellow Poplar, a magnolia family member, hit 8' in 1 summer after late winter harvest.  Forest mulchers will take both right on out though.  
Liking Walnut

Ron Scott

Some landowner's don't like the aspen clearcuts not realizing that that's how its managed productively as an intolerant species and they will then again complain that the regeneration in to thick after the harvest. After a few years they are amazed by their new growth forest. ;) 
~Ron

Ron Scott

The John Deere 1270 C Harvester works a plantation salvage thinning of wind blown red and white pine in hilly terrain during the seasons first snow. Dunn Timber Salvage Harvest, December 2018.

~Ron

Ron Scott

The John Deere 1270C Harvester reaches out to process wind blown pine on a hill side with its 11.7m (38 ft.) boom. December 2018 salvage thinning.

~Ron

Ron Scott

The John Deere Harvester cuts the salvaged pine into 100 inch lengths and piles it for pickup by the forwarder. Wind blown salvage thinning, December 2018.

~Ron

thecfarm

Ron Scott

Another area of windblown timber from the August 2018 storm is salvaged by a 1270B Timberjack Harvester. American beech is decked awaiting removal. January 2019.

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!