iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

skid steer

Started by slider, April 20, 2012, 01:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Duval

Slider you are off to a good start. Expect the price range for a good skidsteer to be 10 to 20k. You can find some under the 10k mark in decent shape but they are far and few between. If you are looking at a unit with tires on it make sure to check the wheel bearings and seals as they are a good indicator on how the machine has been treated. Tracked units in my opion are much better but more expensive. I have a Komatsu on loan to me right now ( the perks of working for a rental company) that isn't to bad. The larger Cat and ASV units with tracks are excelent machines, good view ( least amount of blind spots ) and they are super smooth because of the suspension for the bottom end. The bad thing about these two units is they use rubber coated boggies for the tracks that if not taken care of will get chewed up in no time flat and are expensive to rebuild. I have not come accross any paticular brand of skidsteer that I would say is no good. Like most people will tell you here it's what will work best for you. The biggest advantage to skidsteers is the attachments and how quickly you can swap them out.

Al_Smith

Quote from: Robert Duval on April 21, 2012, 11:47:49 PM
  The biggest advantage to skidsteers is the attachments and how quickly you can swap them out.
Which brings up a point .Bobcat being the largest uses a slightly different mounting than some .As such attachments are quite common in that mounting pattern where they may not be in anothers type set up .

Fact being I've had TNT Dave who sells used skidloaders cost to coast looking for a pair of bare mounting plates for a New Holland for a couple of years but nothing as yet .Pain in the buttocks to make one but of course it can be done,just takes time .Now of course you can buy a new mount pad but they are pricey --- Al the tight wad ---

chevytaHOE5674

Most of the newer machines use a universal "quick-attach" plate. One of my loader tractors takes the same quick attach so I can swap attachments from my Bobcat to my tractor. Only difference is my tractor doesn't have the Hi-Flow hydraulics like the bobcat. 

I have buckets, forks, blades, grapples, PHD's, etc of various brands and all swap between my tractor and skid steer.

Al_Smith

A skidloader is very verisitile .They make or adapt just about any type device a person could think of to them .Augers ,grapples ,chain trenchers and on and on almost endlessly .

Recently talk is about mounting a big hydraulic spliiter on my buddy the tree trimmers New holland .He gets into some huge stuff like 4 feet diameter  oak which would be a lot nicer to break down prior to using a regular splitter .When you're talking 800 pounds you can't just scoot it around by hand .

In addition a 6 foot hydraulic angle western snow blade which is residing in my woods for the moment would be handy also .

red oaks lumber

i have both a skid steere and 4wd fel. i cant stand the akward and clumsy feel of the fel plus my skid has 2 speed so 13 mph you get there in a hurry :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

mikeb1079

i have to disagree that you can't get a decent machine unless you spend 10-20k.  if your business depended on the machine and you're gonna be running it 40 hard hours a week then this may be true, but otherwise i don't buy it.  i have several buddies that have nice machines that have been quite reliable that they bought for much less than 10k.  like most things you just have to be patient in your search.... 8)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Ironwood

I will give my opinion on the used skidloaders. I go for tried true and common, first tractor, 8N x 3 I had several, common as pond water cheap and simple. When I was looking for a skidloader I bought one that I had experience with (rented and my one excavator had one he used to "loan" me),.... Bobcat 763, mine is an "F" which does NOT have the fancy self diagnoses computer. It was under 10K, needed tires, burns no oil, starts right up in 20 degree weather and was "tight" I jumped when I saw it locally on Craigslist. There were several people in line waiting to try it out so  could not deal on the price. I have had it for 3-4 months and love it. No issues so far it had under 2000 hours and the chains are like new in the chain case and is tight. Lift the front wheels off the ground and hop out and check for slop in the wheels from front to rear, front should move less than 2" to tell of chaincase wear. I did get new tires, found set of grouser tracks used (hardly), and I am still cleaning her up a bit, I think I am right around 10K. Good piece of equipment. Used everyday. One of the only dissadvantages is no hi/lo range, no high flow hydraulics and Bobcats are designed to run at full RPM, some others can idle while working saving on wear tear and fuel, Gehl, JD and some others (I dont know them all). I would avoid the Puegot engine in the Bobcat and even the Isuzu over the Kubota(best).

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

slider

that's good news mikeb1079 i have lots of time and i saw part time so the business does not depend on it.i have a boom truck with a grapple witch is great for bringing in wood and placing it on the ramps .i need something to move slabs and sawdust.i get into some good size pine so waiting for the right size machine at the right price is the key. thanks  al
al glenn

slider

ironwood thanks for the info ,where is the chain case you referenced to ,is it similar to a transfer case and also in your opinion would the high flow hydraulics make a big difference .if there is excess play in the chain case is it a big deal to fix ,parts $ and labor.we do most of our repairs here unless it gets too technical . thanks  al
al glenn

Ironwood

Well, the chain case on a Bobcat (at least mine) is under the entire machine. It is basically the enclosed "skidpan" of the whole unit. There is really NO transfer case type thing on these machines just hydraulic motors/pumps. The wheels are driven on each side by one hydrostatic motor which is behind the thin plate between the wheels. one motor on each side, from that the power is driven by a LARGE chain in an oil bath, so the chain snakes around the hydro motor sprocket, and then all the way to the front and all the way to the rear. Pretty simple but a real hassle if it is worn out.  I was fortunate as when I bought mine I did not know what to look for in that regard (inspection cover is on the floor between where your feet go about 8 - 9/16" bolts) I drained the case by tipping it forward (REALLY far) and letting it ooze out the fill hole (easier than the traditional method), and fortunately it was immaculate. So, changed it anyhow, since I was there and I had the fluid. I think it might be easier to pull the engine than rebuild the chaincase. I would not do either, I would hire it out. I do know if you "can" a hydro motor on a Deere they are VERY expensive (my buddy has two JD units), I am not sure if it has two hydros or four, but he cringes when they need replaced. Removal of the Bobcats in mine look reasonable for what I saw behind the various covers. The machine is pretty simple really, not much to it, and mine lacks alot of the sensors that can go bad. I have heard that the "joystick" controlled later Bobcats are a nightmare. One local LARGE landscaper had 10-15 Bobcats and used/loved them until they got the new joystick units, now they are shopping for what brand to "go to". I did look at a JD240 and was scared by some of the "dashboard" computer failures. So, I waited until I found my 763. Again I like simple and I think my simple 763 was/is a good match for my way of doing things. I like to say the 763 is the 8N of skidloaders, common as pond water and simple.
As far as the hyflo, I suppose it depends on what implements you want to run. I borrowed my buddies auger this weekend, it did fine just turned slower than he runs it with his, still hit the same bedrock and stopped. It is only an issue with cetain implements.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Cedarman

Quote from: DR_Buck on April 21, 2012, 08:06:53 PM
  It's not all that hard to get in and out of.  Maybe it depends on the size of the operator.         Mine is rated at 3800 lb .   .
DR, looks like your machine is rated for any of us.  No wonder it is easy to get into and out of.
Our New Holland L785 has been about as dependable as you can get. Great in the log yard. Just my two cents.
At 64, I get into and out of them all the time. I am careful to make sure I have a good handhold in case my feet were to slip.  Great exercise.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!