iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question for WM LT 15 owners

Started by 4speed, November 28, 2012, 11:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4speed

As I'm watching my nightly sawmill dvd (Wednesday is Woodmizer night) I found myself wondering if the rope crank to feed the saw head on the LT 15 can be by-passed and the head simply pushed through the cut? Or, does it really matter? I have yet to use a mill personally, but it seems as though pushing it would give you a better "feel" of the cut.

Stan Willis 49

Went to Newnan office and played with demo unit yesterday. Was able to push unit about as easy as using hand crank.   That is one sweet machine.

Meadows Miller

Gday

I would just push it on that size mill but then again the power feed is handy as you can set it of on its way and remove a slab or stack a piece of timber in the time it will get through the cut  ;)

And don't be to supprised if you still find yourself watching sawmilling videos and clips on youtube after you have got a mill I still do  ;) :D ;D

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Jemclimber

I have the power feed on mine, but I don't see an issue doing it either way.  Play with it and find out. It's very easy to undo the rope off the crank system. WM is very helpful.
lt15

taylorsmissbeehaven

I have the regular hand crank on mine. I typically use the crank to get it started, then push the rest of the way. You will feel the cut better that way. I have been very impressed with the ease of movement of the head. The LT 15 is a great machine and you will be happy with your purchase.  Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

Mooney

For max ease of pushing, removing the rope is the way to go. It can be put back on in a couple minutes if you want to switch back.

WDH

I used to do both, but the power feed is sure nice!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Clean Image

I find myself switching back and forth between the two with out much thought, the crank stops spinning if you push so it's not like it's in your way.

Most of what I've been cutting is WRC so it's fairly soft and consistent which leaves me less reliant on needing to feel the cut.

smiley_thumbsup on the LT-15...great saw!

DB

Jemclimber

I'm glad you like the power feed WDH. Do you feel it was worth the investment? I got mine when I bought new so I've never known otherwise, but I sure do like it. 
lt15

Kingcha

I am planning on buying the lt 15 in the spring.   I am not planning on getting the powerfeed on mine.   I will be mainly milling pine for myself, would the added cost be worth it for me.   Mine will be just a stationary unit.   
a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

4speed

Thanks for all the replies. I will probably just keep it all manual for a while and upgrade to the power feed later. Setting behind a desk for the past ten years has made me soft. ;D I just can't wait to stop watching sawmill videos and start making them!

WDH

Quote from: Jemclimber on November 29, 2012, 10:22:01 AM
I'm glad you like the power feed WDH. Do you feel it was worth the investment? I got mine when I bought new so I've never known otherwise, but I sure do like it.

I milled for 12 years without one.  I do feel that it is worth the investment because it frees me up to do other tasks like sweep sawdust off the boards or to handle/stack the boards whereas before, I was slaved to pushing or cranking the mill.  I love it.  It has increased my productivity for the same time spent milling for sure. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

MotorSeven

I crank some then switch and push some.....they are about the same effort to me. I really don't mind either and would not spend the $ on a auto feed unless I was trying to do production work.
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

stanwelch

I have the power feed on mine and really like it when the wind is blowing the sawdust around. I can stand back out of the dust storm and watch her go.
When sawing a knotty oak I usually just push the head through the knot for more control. Easy either way
The LT 15 is a great machine. I'm building a 10 foot extension to cut some 24 ft 8x10 tie beams for my sawshed.
Good luck with your mill. You will have fun
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

WDH

The LT15 is the quintessential small sawmill!

MotorSeven

Stan build the extension longer......I did a 16' and wished I had gone 20' ;)
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

VT-Woodchuck

Yes, you can just push the mill and I find that I do both. I find that the rope crank gives me a more consistent feed rate. I was skeptical at first, but that's how it works for me!

Thank You Sponsors!