iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black Walnut logs

Started by slewpumper, March 10, 2007, 11:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slewpumper

My Dad had 17 Black Walnut logs taken off his property last week. He talked with several loggers before he finally made a decision on who he wanted to have take them down. Some of the trees were close to the house so he really didn't want to have a big skidder tearing up the property. So what Dennis the logger used was a T200 bobcat. I know some have said logging with a skid loader isn't really practical because they aren't designed for that purpose but after watching these guys work I beg to differ. First off I was really impressed on how much care they took in felling the trees. They took a snow shovel and shoveled the snow away so they could get to the base of the tree. They cut the trees so close to the ground you could mow right over it with a lawn mower. Special care was taken in deciding how long to cut each log and every end of the log that had any flare was trimmed to make it more uniform. The trees that were close to the house they raised the grapple bucket and forced the tree over in the direction they wanted it to fall. One of the biggest trees was about 20' from the house. Dennis was worried about this tree because it was also leaning towards the house slightly. So what they did was using a ladder, went up as far as they could and then tied a rope around the tree. Then they tied the rope to the bobcat and after Dennis went completley around the diamater of the tree at the base, he gave the guy in the bobcat the signal and he pulled the tree right over. Very impressive. The T200 bobcat with tracks had no problem picking up the logs and getting through the snow that is about 2 to 3 feet deep. The one tree they cut down close to the house had a log in it that was about 28" across and cut 13' long. Dennis the logger told my dad (and I was right there when he said it) this log should bring about $3400. My dad about fell over. Dennis has told my dad he has 8 diff. buyers that come and bid on his logs and claims a veneer log will bring $10 a board foot. His cut is 25%. I should say my dad was very skeptical about having any of this logging done. He is very proud of the trees he has on his property and certainly didn't want them cut down if he wasn't going to be happy about it. Therefore several previous customers of Dennis's my Dad called and they were all very happy with what they got for their logs. Needless to say when the day was done they had about 70 logs they trucked out. Dennis will be calling my dad this next week with the price. He will give my dad a sheet that has each log on it and what it brings as far as value.
My mom took plenty of picture and I will be sure to share them with you all when I can. I will also let you know how he does.  8)

beenthere

Slewpumper
Some pics would be great to see in your gallery.  :)

Regards the skidsteer for logging, I think any concerns were more about going into the forest (woods) where the terrain is not smooth, and there are other downed trees, brush, and things to work around. As well, logs carried cross-wise in a grapple don't come out of the woods very easily. Not like the lawn near the house.  ;D  Certaily there are conditions where skidsteers are more practical than skidders, and vica versa. Glad it worked well for your Dad.  :)

Now, about those pics........... ::) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Greenskeeper

I sure hope Dennis calls back.

Gary_C

Nice to read a good story about a logger doing a professional job. I am pretty sure I know this logger and he does good work. I would be very surprised if you do not get your call and money as promised.

Good walnut has been selling well again, unlike the red oak and even maple. I think most of it is going for export. On some recent MN DNR sales, walnut stumpage has sold for over $1.00 per bd ft.

I just hope you did not get near those trees in your yard with a hammer and nails when you were growing up!    ;D

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

MikeH

I have what I think might be a veneer walnut about 23" dia. on small end of an 8 footer, I am just south of twin cities if you know any buyers in area that would want one log?
  Thanks,
        Mike

Thank You Sponsors!