iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oliver oc4?

Started by gman98, May 07, 2018, 03:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman98

Hello guys.  So I have an opportunity to get an old Oliver oc4 dozer with a carco c3 winch for free.  It's a late 50's model I believe.  It has been sitting since the late 80's early 90's.  It ran when it was parked.  I'm looking to cut some wood with it.  Not planning on supporting myself with it, just looking to log some private lots on the weekends as a hobby and some extra income.  What are you guys inputs on these dozers?  What are some key issues to look for when getting it back running?

Thanks 
Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

mike_belben

Have seen quite a few chevy 350 conversions into olivers on CL over the years.  Is it on tracks or tires?  

Either way itll be about 3x better than a skid steer in the woods.  Probably about 1/3 as good as a skidder.  Good for what you want to do, if youve got the capability to deal with retrofitting and reworking around obsolete parts.  
Praise The Lord

gman98

Quote from: mike_belben on May 07, 2018, 03:44:16 PM
Have seen quite a few chevy 350 conversions into olivers on CL over the years.  Is it on tracks or tires?  

Either way itll be about 3x better than a skid steer in the woods.  Probably about 1/3 as good as a skidder.  Good for what you want to do, if youve got the capability to deal with retrofitting and reworking around obsolete parts.  
It's on tracks.  I'm no mechanic or fabricator by any means, but it will be a good piece to learn on.  It was a family owned machine.  My grandfather used it to yard spruce logs to build log cabins and to build roads into the camps he built.
Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

luvmexfood

Go for it. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Just watch the Washington's you have to put in it. You know you can always get your initial investment back in parting it out if you had to and help restore a part of history.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

maple flats

It should be 19 engine HP, but the horses were bigger back then. We had an Oliver OC3 when I was growing up, with a FEL on it. That was 22 HP. It worked well, but was on the light side. The tracks were no match if there was ice on the ground.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

KyLogger

Typically the older the machine the simpler to work on. Especially a small tractor like that. Parts availability will be an issue I would guess. I don't know much about the Oliver tracked machines, but a lot of the old construction/forestry equipment made by tractor companies used ag parts a lot. I would watch the U/C, putting an undercarriage on a tracked machine can get pricey in a hurry! Like good rubber on a skidder you could easily double the machine price. All that being said, if you are handy with tools and have a halfway decent shop, go for it! I would check out yesterdaystractor.com There is a wealth of knowledge over on that site. Good luck!
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

gspren

Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Skip

You can get parts at Zimmerman Oliver Cletrac in Ephrata PA 1-717 -738-2573

Remle

For information go to " Oliver Tractor Data ", they are sorted by model #. Just click on the OC 4 at the bottom of the page.

Thank You Sponsors!