iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dump trailer load of firewood

Started by 630 Tigercat, July 05, 2009, 03:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

630 Tigercat

I sold a guy a load of split firewood on my dumptrailer and there was a dispute on the amount of wood on the trailer.  The interior of the trailer was 33' long 7.5' wide and 6.5' sides but the wood was rounded up so i'll say 7' tall.  So your measuring 33X7X7.5.  The wood was split in 16'' lengths and elevated in the trailer and I got on top and filled all the holes in.  I told the man I would be selling him ten cord but it could go maybe a half cord in either favor.  He said there was about 7.5 cords.  Thats a long way from 10.   He was putting the wood in half cord baskets and kiln drying it.  I guess what im asking is how many cuft. do you guys figure for a cord of loose split wood.  I feel im pretty close on and try to give a good measure but this guy really tightened me up.   

chucker

when not stacked and delivered in a convance takes 160 cubic feet to equal a cord of 16" wood( same as a stacked 128 cfcord).... by your measurements that figures to10.8 cords, with a 1/2 cd being off by chance and setteling i would say you are in the ball park in his favor.
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

Reddog

Quote from: Gary_C on January 06, 2008, 07:30:43 PM
There is a thread on the subject of measuring firewood in the crash archives. You can read about it here: https://forestryforum.com/board2/index.php?topic=289.0

Many states have defined the volumes required for a firewood cord. For a cut and split cord loosely thrown, it takes 175-180 cubic feet for a cord or 58.33 to 60 cubic feet for a face cord (1/3 cord of 16" long sticks).

From one of the many past discusions on firewood volumes.

beenthere

630 Tigercat
Did you by chance get a pic of that load?

Or, get the weight of the load?  

If good hardwood firewood, you would be about 50,000 pounds for 10 cord, and around 38,000 for his response of 7.5 cords.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

630 Tigercat

No I didnt weigh it but i wish i did.  The guy where i hauled it to was 100 miles away and he wanted more of it but he only wanted to pay for 7.5 cords.  We just couldnt get together on price.  I really felt confident that it was a ten cord load when I hauled it but when he started to dispute it I started to doubt myself.  All of this took place last fall and I havent had a need to haul wood on the trailer till recently.  The load was oak maple and hickory. 

Ron Scott

Did you measure the wood stacked and calculate the cords before loading on the trailer and log a copy of your measurements?
~Ron

630 Tigercat

I have for the wood i sell to homeowners and ive never had a complaint.  I run a 926 Cat with a 1.8 yard bucket and 3 good full scoops and a piece of a scoop works nice for a cord.  I also offer stacking for customers and I keep a check on myself when I do.  But I just run the wood in my trailer as I split it from the processor.

gunman63

I used 160 sq ft for a cd of cut and split dumped into my dump trailer, only had one complaint all last winter, and when i asked the guy why he doesnt think it was the correct amount, his answer was "well my buddy says it isnt". told him to stack it and then let me know, never heard back, so im guessing it was ok.

rebocardo

> He said there was about 7.5 cords.

Something for nothing.

If he was putting into a kiln tightly stacked and was that concerned about volume he would be telling you 7.756 cords or something to that effect.  A customer that is adamant about getting 7.756 or 7.456 cords I would listen to, someone complaining about getting only "about" 7.5 cords when that is all he wanted to pay for originally I would not lose sleep over  ;)

I would tell that person he is buying 1608 cubic feet of tossed wood,  a trailer load full of wood, for $xxx.xx. Do you want it or not?

I would not even bother with "cords" with this person. Just this is how much volume I am delivering, do you want it or not.

metalspinner

QuoteHe was putting the wood in half cord baskets and kiln drying it.

If he is using his baskets as a guide, they might not be measured correctly. :-\
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

630 Tigercat

Yea I think thats the best way to do it is figure on selling it by the load and giving them the cu.ft. of the trailer.  I always figured on 165 cuft on loose wood.

Corley5

I use the 180 cubic foot measure.  Only had one guy say it was short and that was a year later when he ordered more  :-\  ::) :)  My standard line is that if it stacks up short I'll make up the difference.  I've stacked it from the 180 measure and it comes out good.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

John Mc

Quote from: rebocardo on July 06, 2009, 02:00:07 PM
I would tell that person he is buying 1608 cubic feet of tossed wood,  a trailer load full of wood, for $xxx.xx. Do you want it or not?

I would not even bother with "cords" with this person. Just this is how much volume I am delivering, do you want it or not.

In some states, it's illegal to sell bulk firewood in any measure other than cords. Many people ignore this, and there is probably no problem when the buyer and seller agree. But as soon as someone raises a stink...
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

mike_van

Hard to imagine shorting the guy 33% on a trailer load?  If it was a cord, maybe, but 3 full ones is a lot to be off by.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

redprospector

It's almost impossible to tell someone else how many cu. ft. are in their loose thrown cords.
It depends a lot on how it's loaded. If loading by hand, loose thrown may be a little tighter than a load dumped out of a bucket on a tractor. I know that when I load my trailer with a conveyor I average a little over 190 cu. ft. to the cord. Sometimes a little over, sometimes a little under. It all depends on how each piece lands.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

mrnero

Quote from: 630 Tigercat on July 05, 2009, 03:36:01 PM
I sold a guy a load of split firewood on my dumptrailer and there was a dispute on the amount of wood on the trailer.  The interior of the trailer was 33' long 7.5' wide and 6.5' sides but the wood was rounded up so i'll say 7' tall.  So your measuring 33X7X7.5.  The wood was split in 16'' lengths and elevated in the trailer and I got on top and filled all the holes in.  I told the man I would be selling him ten cord but it could go maybe a half cord in either favor.  He said there was about 7.5 cords.  Thats a long way from 10.   He was putting the wood in half cord baskets and kiln drying it.  I guess what im asking is how many cuft. do you guys figure for a cord of loose split wood.  I feel im pretty close on and try to give a good measure but this guy really tightened me up. 

Most states require that firewood be sold in a stacked measure or must stack to the amount sold. If your state (e.g. State of Maine) honors a thrown loose measure, call them and fine out what the cu ft of loose measure is. I've heard anything from 150 cu ft  to 190 cu ft.

DGK

I have a firewood business that uses a dumping trailer as well. We sell rounds of 16 & 18 inch firewood in diameters of less than 12 inches. I have stacked and checked my loose loads many times. The conversion that our company uses is 165 cu ft per cord of rounds. We have not had any customers complain that they are being shorted at all. We offer a guarantee that if the customer stacks their wood and measures it, even if only one piece short, we would make up the difference. Our trailer holds 3 cord of wood.

Doug
Yukon, Canada

LT40G38 modified to dual pumped hydraulic plus, HR120 Resaw, EG200 Edger, Bobcat S185,Bobcat S590, Logosol PH260M3, Sthil MS660's, MS460,MS362's MS260, Trailtech dump trailer, F350, F700 Tilt-Deck log/Lumber Hauler, JD440B Skidder, Naarva S23C Processor

haywire woodlot

I usually deliver one cord split at a time, but on occasion that we deliver two or more, our farm's dump truck holds 2 cords thrown or 3 and change split. Delivering thrown wood I always try to give the customer extra as I find delivering loose wood to a very unspecific way to deliver a constant amount, If I was a consumer I certainly would'nt buy it that way. I use 185cu'-190cu' as the rule for thrown wood and none of my customer's have every complained about having too much wood, so its good for business too.
Dave

Sawyerfortyish

I use a skidsteer to load my wood. I have a bucket that is 3/4 yd and load 7 rounded scooped up buckets. Don't know what the cubic feet would be in 5 1/4 yrds but only had one guy complain in several years.

Thank You Sponsors!