iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New (to me) dump truck

Started by shinnlinger, July 07, 2012, 12:53:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

Hi,

I'm removing a house from my property and looked at getting a dumpster, but wow are they expensive!  Figured running a dump truck would be much cheaper but my 52 GMC was only a yard runner w/out brakes.  What to do?

Saw a suitable candidate for $1500 in truck trader that happened to be in my home town (in the middle of nowhere).  Went down to talk to him and he was willing to take only $1000.  Asked if he would be willing to trade and he said no, unless it was antique, so I mentioned my 52 GMC and he fell in love with it, so I ended up giving him my truck and $400 for his.

It was hard to let the GMC go, but the new owner has big plans to restore it that I did not and the new truck should serve my needs much better.

Curious about the 370 5 speed and the f-600.  Anyone have any experience?

Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

thecfarm

A GMC for a Ford?  That's a real good trade.  ;D  That was a steal at even the asking price of $1500. Is it road ready?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

shinnlinger

I registered it with ag plates and drove it home.   Goes down the road good and brakes are there.  An ag inspection is only brake lights and a steerin wheel, but it appears it could pass a more stringent inspection.
I'm partial to fords myself but that old gmc was pretty darn impressive. 
Shinnlinger

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

Looks  :o good.  There is an old saying; If both of you are happy, then it was a good deal.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

shinnlinger

Yeah, the guy who got my jimmy was super excited to restore it, which make me happy as that truck deserved it.
Shinnlinger

gspren

I have a 55 (1st series) GMC that looks like your 52, I keep thinking I'll restore it but just can't seem to start. I should probably do what you did.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

sandhills

That sounds horrible!!  I tell you what, I'll give you 2 horses, a '95 Buick (it has a big trunk, just doesn't dump) and then I suppose I'll take your new truck, of course this is just out of kindness you know, but that's just the kind of guy I am.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: sandhills on July 08, 2012, 01:42:33 AM
That sounds horrible!!  I tell you what, I'll give you 2 horses, a '95 Buick (it has a big trunk, just doesn't dump) and then I suppose I'll take your new truck, of course this is just out of kindness you know, but that's just the kind of guy I am.

Call BR549 and ask for Sandhills. We'rrrrrrrre DEALING!  8)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

ScottAR

The 370 is based on the 385 series engine which also includes the 429 and the 460.  I understand they all interchange as far as trans bolt patterns and such.  No one has said the 370 is a speed demon but never hear much bad about em either.  I'd say you did well. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Magicman

Looks like it will change your profile.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!