iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

drying lumber in a storage unit

Started by harrell727, June 16, 2011, 05:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harrell727

I did a search on this and nothing came up.  I've dried maple and walunt in a mini-storage unit before and the walnut did fine but the maple molded and ended up giving me a spalted look.  Was this due to lack of airflow? I now have some fresh sawn red oak and was wondering if I should store it in the storage unit to keep it from drying to quickly, then pull it out in a few months and continue to air dry it outside.
Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Jason

oakiemac

Mold is caused by too much humidity and no air flow. I wouldnt store fresh sawn anything in a closed container. I'd sticker it and place a nice cover over the top and store it outside where the prevailing winds can blow through it. Sometimes in the summer you can air dry oak too fast and get checking-especially thick oak.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

harrell727

Yeah, I've noticed some checking on a couple of boards on top. I do have the stack covered with house wrap vapor barrier to keep the sun and most rain/wind off. I've rolled up the sides to allow some airflow but I'm trying to slow how fast it dries this first few weeks.

Thank You Sponsors!