iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

need little help in air draying

Started by alsayyed, June 25, 2011, 11:30:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsayyed

Hello  I have small question, I have heard when you want to dry wood in sealed room or container you need to run the fans to blow hot air every one hour then stop the fans for half  then start again. Is this true or you have to keep air circulating all day long so you can blow hot air,  except at night so you can stop the stress on the wood during the day

Could anybody explain to me how often you run the fans.

Meadows Miller

Gday Alsayyed

It depends on alot of things as to how you run your fans and when you add heat to a kiln Mate  ;) what sort of kiln style are you running,type of timber & starting MC % is ie. green off saw or air dried stock your daytime and night time temps in your area what he finished product will be used for Mate  ??? ???

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

scsmith42

Al, if you go to the link below:

http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/420/420-030/420-030_pdf.pdf

you can download this information about building and operating a solar kiln.  Since you already have your container, you will be most interested in the operation notes.

You're going to want to stack and sticker your lumber in such a way as the air is forced through the stacks (see the pdf file for ideas).  Typically, you would operate the fans for 12 hours solid, and then keep them off for 12 hours solid in order to let the wood stress relief.  You need to be able to control the amount of air entering and exiting the container as well, so as to not dry your lumber too quickly.

Regards,

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

shelbycharger400

too bad ur not close to here... School im goin to for robotics now... did programable logic..  i could set up a Programable logic controler , running relays ect  so you could set your own time on/off for air doors,  moisture sensors , fans ect. then you wouldnt have to baby sit it.     I learned allen bradley plc.. this is similar to their programing.  its ladder logic.   check out this site..  automation direct.    http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Home/Home

when you buy the plc,  the program to program with your pc, is free.     Its relatively easy to program, some stuff dose get complicated fast!

Note on stacking...  i have looked into that , that most of the large companys use a crate, stack the boards in them flat,sticker them,  then flip the crate 90 deg...so the boards are on edge, so air moves up and down, not side to side.    any input on that one ?

Thank You Sponsors!