iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2015 firewood prices

Started by timberlinetree, September 06, 2015, 06:54:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

Quote from: Hilltop366 on September 09, 2015, 09:13:09 PM
Generally speaking does softwood have more resin? (thinking pine and fir)

If so would this cause more creosote?

Resin is not what causes creosote. Resin actually burns well. Creosote is basically a product of incomplete combustion. If your fire burns too cold, some of the gasses will not ignite. They can then condense on the inside of your chimney, forming creosote.  You are also giving up a lot of the BTUs available in your wood by not burning those gasses.

Once it's gotten hot enough to ignite the gasses, a catalytic wood stove can keep the gasses burning even at a lower temperature. However, most catalytic stoves take a bit of attention to operate properly, especially when first firing it up from a cold start.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

North River Energy

shamusturbo

$300-Full Cord, Delivered and Stacked. Haven't changed the price since we started in 2006 and have retained a boat load of customers because we do stack. Before all you haters go off on me, most of the people we do stack for are 80 years old+ and some can barely pick up a piece of wood. Some are yuppies who probably couldn't stack it if they tried. (Wouldn't want it to fall on your $80k Benz, afterall)

I am NOT the most expensive and am the only one who does stack. I think if it's stacked, they see what they bought, I know they got more than the guaranteed volume, it's not in a pile rotting, and it's getting all the more dry which means it makes me look better in the end. That's just me. 

We are in the North Pittsburgh Suburbs between $600-800k housing communities and a very old farming population with some of the highest land values in the country. I don't think there are many markets quite like ours. O, and we sell out every year including last year before Christmas.  8)
Stihls 660,461,460,390,200T
Duramaxs 04 CCLB,15 CCFB DW
Gators- TS Loaded
Timberwolf TW-5
CRD Loco 20
CAT 287B

beenthere

QuoteBefore all you haters go off on me,

shamusturbo

You must be used to a different forum group, as we don't have "haters" of how you conduct business, IIRC.
Don't think anyone on this Forum would mind what you do for your business.
Sounds like you are happy and have a good plan to service your customers. Both are important.  ;D

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Corley5

Whatever works in your market  8) 8) 8) 8)  I've had elderly customers in the past that I stacked for or found someone to do it for them.  They've all passed on now  :( and I don't have any at the moment.  I didn't charge them extra to stack it if I did it myself or a crew member did.  We just did it.
  I've had customers in the past that wanted a firewood service.  They wanted to call every couple weeks in season and order a couple face cords of seasoned wood and have it stacked.  I've discouraged that sort of customer  ;) ;D
  I saw an ad for seasoned wood at $50.00 per face cord delivered in 3 cord loads and another for seasoned at $60.00 with no mention of a minimum.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Hilltop366

beenthere

Hilltop
You missed it in this other thread..  ;D  (but truly fits in with this one better )

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,85520.msg1309132.html#msg1309132
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Hilltop366

Hay look at that, I did miss it.

A friend e-mailed a link to it to me this morning and the first thing I thought of was this thread.

brendonv

Do you guys offer multiple cord discounts?  I can only haul one at a time so i tried explaining this to two recent potential customers. One wanted a $25 per cord discount on 7 cord and i told hom no thanks, and one i offered a $10 per cord discount on 3 cord because he was literally around the corner.  Both declined which is fine with me but what do people expect?   ??? :o ???
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

SwampDonkey

Grandfather burned mostly softwoods and white birch at his hunting/fishing camps every year. None of them burned down in fact grandfather is long dead and them camps are still standing. I suspect the owners are burning same old spruce, fir and birch.  ;D That's what was growing all around those camps, it wasn't typical hardwood ground out on that glacial sand.  :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

GRANITEstateMP

In spring we were getting $215-$230 a cord (128cu ft.) delivered, green ($ difference for mileage).  Been tough to keep the wood deck stocked, and the price has gone up to $225-$250 cord green right now.  We sell mostly Maple & oak, with a little bit of ash, black birch, birch, beech (whatever is on the lot the logger is cutting).  I was only able to put up 4 cords last fall to sell as dry this winter, 2 are prepaid and are $310 each delivered.  The other 2 will stay put until around Christmas time and will be advertised on craigslist are try to get enough to cover the family's gifts.  Some might call it being greedy, I'm not, most of my customers think ahead and are rewarded with lower prices.

Brendonv, I've got two customers that get multi cord discounts.  They are each within 2 miles of my place and use 22in long wood.  They pay me every two cords and are upright and honest.  The biggest reason I give the discount is the length.  22in is easy to cut with my processor and add's up fast.  I did have a customer with 12in long wood this year, didn't charge any extra but once I was done his 3 cords told him next year we won't be doing 12in wood!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

clww

I'll be selling full measured cords of 100% seasoned oak for $250 this year, delivered and dumped. If it's not too far, I may stack it. Depends on the customer. Repeat customers will get it for less. Half cords of the same I'll be doing for $150.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

cutterboy

I get $50 a quarter cord of dry mixed hardwood. The customer has to come pick it up.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

timberlinetree

I like the sound of $300 a cord! We are at $225 a cord but after checking Craig's list we will be going up even tho oil is going down. We just started selling firewood this week. 12" wood is no fun but we do it.

I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

lopet

$ 240 for a full cord here for seasoned mixed hardwood cut and split 16".  3 cord dump loads only !   Some people get one or two or some with owb  three loads.
Just bought a truck load of ash logs for $150 a cord. I would like to double my money with processing and delivery, but no way I can get $ 300 with all the amish around here.   So that load is probably not gonna be a money maker. :(
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

SwampDonkey

They probably aren't delivering though. After awhile folks see value in delivered wood.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

overclocking

I just paid 150 a cord plus 15 delivery fee. If chord wood ever hit 250 here I would switch back to LP gas or get a coal boiler.

beenthere

Quote from: overclocking on September 17, 2015, 07:53:40 PM
I just paid 150 a cord plus 15 delivery fee. If chord wood ever hit 250 here I would switch back to LP gas or get a coal boiler.

overclocking
We don't know where "here" is, so help us out by clicking your member name and you will see where you can add your location to your profile. Helps a lot to relate to your posts, such as this one. tks
south central Wisconsin

jcl

I'm selling seasoned for $330 a cord.  Sold 14 cords today so far 6 lined up for tomorrow
New Holland Tc45d
jonsered cs 2159
CB. Maxim
block buster   processor

timberlinetree

Wow never thought I would see those prices. When we started it was $100 for cord(128 cuft) when we went to $110 that was a big jump.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

M_S_S

Juniper and lodge pole is around $160 a cord here. 3 hours south in Reno, NV the same wood is $300 a cord and oak is $400
2- 562xp 24"bar
         576xp 28"bar
         385xp 28" and 32" bars
         25 ton Speeco
         6600 Ford
         02 Dodge diesel
         73 Ford 250

Hilltop366

$750.00 per tandem truck load (5 to 6 cord), delivered, long length.

Works out to $125 to $150 per cord.

John Mc

A friend here doing firewood is selling seasoned hardwoods for $350 a cord, delivered in the local area. He has a good reputation - full measure of good wood, and when he says it's seasoned, it is (unlike some other folks in the area).  He's selling all he can make.

A good sized sawmill got into the firewood business some years ago. They sell kiln-dried hardwoods at $410/cord (I do not think this includes delivery). They seem to be doing a decent business in it. They also have a reputation for reliable quality. Their kiln is heated from their woodchip boiler, fired by chips and bark from their other operations.

We are a fairly rural area with a few small towns nearby. Burlington is not far away, but far enough that the two producers mentioned above are not delivering to it. So I don;t think these prices are being driven up by being close to a metropolitan area.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

JBS 181

I chop up slab wood off the mill with a buzz saw and sell for 110 a cord.

gspren

With fuel oil prices now below 2 bucks a gal I would think wood will be harder to sell at a profit.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Thank You Sponsors!