iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sthil 391 with a long bar?

Started by opticsguy, September 21, 2018, 10:18:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

opticsguy

I have a relatively new Stihl 391 saw with about a 25" bar.  I purchased it to be able to occasionally cut large diameter logs that can not fit on my bandsaw mill.  

I had simply put the big log standing on end and vertically cut down through the log from both sides.  Works good but the 2 cuts do not provide a flat surface.

So, I am thinking about a longer bar, about 36" to 38".  Is this too much for this saw?  Last time I cut a big log requiring a big saw was 2 years ago and now in my possession are a couple of big figured Maple logs that certainly need to be opened up.  So, again, these types of cut are rarely done and is for me, just a hobby.

My other option would be to load and haul the logs to a sawyer who can cut these slabs but what fun would that be???
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

alan gage

I would think even a 25" bar would be a bit much for that saw. I have a similarly sized Echo (CS-680) and was never entirely happy with how it cut with a 24" bar. Took it back to a 20" and have been much happier.

I suppose if you went with a skip chain then a 36" bar would have fewer cutters in the wood than the 25" but I'd guess there's still some drag from pulling that much chain. I don't have enough experience with skip chain to say how a 36" skip would compare with a 25" full comp.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

lxskllr

I have a 25" on my 362cm(5cc smaller than yours), and that's just about as big as I'd want to go with that for any kind of regular cutting. If it was literally only a few cuts per year, I might try a long bar with a skip chain, and see how it did. Go slow, and take breaks. If it works, great! If not, get another saw to match your bar.

Mad Professor

You need some sort of jig/mill to get flat surfaces.

And a bigger saw.

You could just leave the uneven surfaces, then mill off an inch or two, and go from there.

Another option is to use the saw to score the log then hew off the sides.

DelawhereJoe

If you had a 36" bar with full skip chain I think you would have less teeth then a full comp 25" bar....But your oiler would have no chance of keeping it oiled. It may be time to upgrade to a bigger cc saw and keep the 391 as a backup or find a cheap burned up saw and rebuild it.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Gary Davis

to much I had a 390 new with 28 in bar and that was to long for df it was easy to stall it my saw worked better with a 20, the 460 can pull a 32 in 

sumday

I ran a 36" bar in my 390 to cut window and door openings in a log home. Not saying it's what it's meant for, but it did a fine job. Largest diameter was probably 30". So in my limited experience, if you're talking very occasional you may be ok. 

Thank You Sponsors!